Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: AnonEntrepeneur ( )
Date: November 24, 2017 05:48PM

This may be the cold medication talking, but I think I'd like to set up an ecommerce website selling genuine garments. It would probably be a limited time offer due to *potential* complications in the supply chain.

What do you guys think? Is there any potential legal repercussion for this? I know the tag says "for endowed members only" but surely that's not a legally binding prohibition, right?

Thoughts and insights much appreciated. :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cutekitty ( )
Date: November 24, 2017 05:56PM

But, WHO wants to wear somebody else'es dookie underwear? OR yellow stained g-tops?

Nobody I know.

My g's stayed white due to wearing regular unawares under the bottoms and a bra OVER the top. I wasn't going to be encumbered by anymore goofyness rules of garments. We used to call them under-roos, like kid underwear. Who ever came up with a BRA over the top? Looks goofy. I might tie-dye mine for pj's.

Posted by: OP ( )
Date: November 24, 2017 06:04PM

G'a would be new in the package.

Date: November 24, 2017 06:19PM

Sorry for going in the gutter so quick. I thought you meant someone you know who does not wear them anymore...

Date: November 24, 2017 06:26PM

Hehe... no problem. I'm sure there's a market for ladies soiled g's, but no thanks! ;)

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: November 24, 2017 06:49PM

The Brethren have already managed to stop people from selling garms on Ebay and such like. There already is a site selling fake garments.

https://mormonssecret.com/

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: November 24, 2017 06:56PM

Do they have the embroidered marks? I think fake blood dripping from the marks would be a hit at Halloween.

Date: November 24, 2017 06:59PM

The MORmON secret IS: There is no secret...They don't come from harry potter magic school. There is no magic in them, unless something pops up...

Date: November 24, 2017 07:04PM

Do you know whatever happened to this site? Was it shut down for lack of interest or legal threats?

For any legal minds out there, is there really a cause of action the church could bring? And how might they bring it?

Am I correct in thinking it's fairly easy to remain (relatively) anonymous in ecommerce if you keep the website registration confidential?

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: November 24, 2017 06:56PM

You can do ANYTHING you want.

Remember, a red light is only a suggestion.

It's not illegal until someone catches you.

I wouldn't give 2 sh!ts about what it says in the tag.

So what are they going to do if they do find out, sue you? Over underpants. That's laughable.

Go for it.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: November 25, 2017 12:12AM

They do not a bad job of buffing wax off a car after you cut 'em up for rags.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: November 25, 2017 12:43AM

Idea: Get the guys with the "JosephLied.com" (and other) signs who show up at temple opening and other such events. Have them wear weather-appropriate black body suits with the garments over them, especially at pre-consecration temple open houses!

Date: November 25, 2017 05:57PM

What a great fiendish thought!!!!! :)!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2017 05:58PM by cutekitty.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 25, 2017 06:42PM

The tag means no more than the one on a mattress. If you own the garmies or the mattress, you're allowed to remove the tags or not and sell them if you have buyers.

DH and I own garmies and have never been to the temple. We bring them out occasionally for cocktail parties or whenever curiosity seekers ask.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: November 25, 2017 07:05PM

I’d let you sell mine for money, but they’re so stretched out in the front I doubt anyone would buy them :)

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: November 25, 2017 09:54PM

I know the tag says "for endowed members only" but surely that's not a legally binding prohibition, right?

I'm confused about the word "endowed". Perhaps our very own man from BYU will edify this for us.

Posted by: isthechurchtrue ( )
Date: November 26, 2017 02:35PM

@sunbeep, I am sure the only for Endowed members part isnt legally binding because the law wouldnt even recognize that status but it also says not for re-sale. That could be legally binding because there are regulations about such sales. Often times things will say not for re-sale because the individual packaging isnt labeled correctly for legal sales. For example when you open a box of fruit snacks each individual package might say not for re-sale simply because the information is on the cardboard box not the individual packaging inside the box.

Also, for example, with the mattress, the tag says only to be removed by the final consumer. That means that once the tag is removed it cannot be resold. The tag is legally required for the sale because it provides legally required information on it. Now the government isnt going to care if you sell an old mattress but if you tried to start a used mattress warehouse like that then you might get shut down by regulators.

Of course this would all depend on what country you are doing business in. I am talking about the USA. Plus if you sell them online then that adds to the confusion.

Date: November 26, 2017 03:50PM

If you know someone down the street or at the garden club, there shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't advertise or talk it up on the internet.

Date: November 28, 2017 01:22PM

Maybe for WELL endowed folks who need a skosh more room in the front?

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: November 25, 2017 09:41PM

speaking from experience, LDS Inc does not like others, as in anyone besides themselves, indulging in the selling of what they view as exclusively theirs to market.

In one instance of a listing of a pair of MORmON temple garments for sale on Ebay, MORmONS became very upset. One real MORmON thought that he would mess up the deal by bidding up the temple garments to an extreme, as in up to 50,000 $. do not worry, we never believed for a second that the cheesy ass POS MORmON would pay up. One thing that really was accomplished by that MORmON action was drawing more attention /publicity to the auction, the opposite of what MORmONS really wanted to have happen. That bid ended up being withdrawn as that recently created account was terminated. LDS Inc swept in and raised a huge fuss in their own right. The auction ended up being pulled. New policy was establishing to block similar auctions in the future.

QUOTE We (LDS Inc) desire all to receive UNQUOTE but only in officially approved ways ( that make MOReMONey for LD$ inc !!!!!!)

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: November 25, 2017 10:19PM

.....ummmm why stop with just the (stupid) MORmON underwear???? why not sell ALL of the temple wardrobe as well !!!! and even though e-commerce is a great concept, why limit your enterprise to only internet displays of your wares via 2 D computer monitors ??? go for maximum exposure of your merchandise to the public including the display of your wares in the splendid 3 D vividness of reality.

I would love (LOVE) to see a mobile display case made of plexi glass mounted on the back of a truck or on a trailer. Inside the display would be mannequins clad in temple garments. The truck should be equipped with speakers and video monitors that play actual video and audio from actual temple ceremonies to convey the real glory and majesty (idiocy) of the (idiotic) MORmON temple ceremony. The truck mounted mobile display of temple clothes could be moved around to various high visibility locations ......like parking areas at Malls, including the clASSiest Mall in Salt Lake County - Gordon BS Hinckley's own City Creek Center !!! right next door to the Salt Lake City MORmON secret handshake palace / temple located at the More Mo-ney land Vatican.

Do not worry. That is not all !!!!

Everyone knows that full on fashion merchandisers and designers have lavish live model fashion shows that feature LIVE fashion models wearing the clothing that is being marketed. I think that temple clothing should be live modeled, There would be no better place for that live model fashion show of LDS temple clothes to happen than on The UTA Trax trains that are running on the weekend of LDS general conference .......after all "we desire ALL to receive " !!!!

Just to show that I am serious about this, I will throw in 100$ ( which is a lot of money for me) for the first person who is willing to live model LDS temple clothing on the UTA Trax train that services down town Salt Lake City during LDS inc conference.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: November 26, 2017 02:38PM

I'm, well, endowed..... in a few areas (let's start at the top and get to the bottom - the edges might be rough or smooth but amorphous and indelible), with a mind (with a mind of it's own), and a heart, that always takes part, in what my organic and cosmic mind - and it's moving part - discover, design or find.

I'm also endowed with one keen and [at least] one sharp eye to see {visions} what's at the end of my nose, who knows, maybe even further, and speaking of a nose, I have one of those, smack dab in the middle, just above my good smile (frown upside down?)/ [big] (creative) mouth, and two ears on either side. I forgot which.

Garments (look) [feel?] (like they) suck. GArMENtSUCK

First, learn your business.
Second, you probably have no businesses doing it. {sotfl}

M@t

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: November 26, 2017 05:08PM

Burn that trash. Don't sell it. People don't buy it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2017 05:10PM by readwrite.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: November 26, 2017 05:14PM

I don't know. How often does your "medicine" do the talking and does it listen to you as well, like when you tell it to stop?

It doesn't matter what the tag says. A tag on your mattress says "do not remove...". I have a brand of pants called "Hey Man" and some under-garments' (boxers) brand named "Lazy One", and so on and so forth, so, tags mean little to nothing once they are yours.

It's gross you'd sell used underwear! It's no wonder where they've been... and wear they haven't! Tie Die them at least, try another business, or throw the trash away.

Date: November 26, 2017 07:58PM

Anyone with a recommend can buy them new and resell them at a profit.

DH got new ones from a friend. I won them at an exmo conference raffle.

I wouldn't think anyone would want to sell or buy old used underwear.

Date: November 26, 2017 09:05PM

Again, they would be brand new, in the package.

Posted by: AnonInCali ( )
Date: November 27, 2017 04:04AM

You won a new set of garments at an ExMo,conference???
That is just so funny and also wrong on so many levels which make it even funnier!

Posted by: Agnes Broomhead ( )
Date: November 29, 2017 12:35PM

How would they know of your size before winning it?

I see sporting events where they toss T-shirts into the crowd during timeouts, but they're always large-size shirts.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 12:08PM

I want to market toilet brushes that play LDS hymns. For starters, I was thinking of Put Your Shoulder to the Wheel.

Posted by: samwitch ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 05:07PM

LD$inc might be able to shut you down online b/c of copyright issues, especially if you post images of the g's in their original packaging. They might also try a cease-and-desist order on the grounds that g's are "sacred" and customers have to log in with an LDS account on the church's website to even view them. Not sure what else they can do legally, but they'd almost certainly try.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: November 29, 2017 12:04PM

As soon as you traded the church cash for the secret society, we are special underwear it became yours. That underwear is now your property. You can do with it whatever you want. If you have cotton ones they make excellent cleaning cloths.

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: November 29, 2017 12:23PM

They could have a guy being seduced by a woman and see if the garments stop them from continuing down Satan's path, or fire bullets at a mannequin wearing the garments.

Posted by: Agnes Broomhead ( )
Date: November 29, 2017 12:31PM

All you need is a TR-holding participant to go along on the scheme. Nothing illegal regarding straw purchases of underwear.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.