Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: soutskeptic ( )
Date: November 24, 2017 10:24PM

Writers have a knowledge of Mormon History and beliefs. The Movie’s Villain is a Fancher Party survivor of the MMM. Is raised by Isaac Haight.

Great acting, music, scenery. Netflix Five Star rating.

Good Luck Mr. Ward

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: deja vue ( )
Date: November 25, 2017 07:54PM

Well, I spent my time today watching this movie. Interesting on so many levels. Seems pretty accurate in historical happenings and details. Will NOT be popular with TBM's. I find it intriguing how it wraps the story around the Morg history.

Posted by: Richard ( )
Date: July 24, 2018 08:47AM

A chronology problem. The oldest survivor of the Mountain Meadows Massacre (1857) was 6 years old in 1857. If Frank Griffin was 6 years old in 1857 that makes his year of birth around 1851, which means he was 33 years old in 1884, the date of the Creede Massacre. Frank sure looked older than thirty three. And he raised Roy Goode as a son, who appears to be about 25 in the movie?! Frank would had to “adopted” Roy when he (Frank) was 8 years old. I know the harsh climate in the West aged folks, but not that quickly!

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: July 26, 2018 04:54PM

True. Or it could just be a history Frank appropriated for himself. Or maybe Frank was actually one of the MMM perpetrators who had a change of heart. Or maybe we're just supposed to enjoy the show and not do arithmetic on the dates. :D

Posted by: richardthebad (not logged in) ( )
Date: July 31, 2018 10:23AM

The "Creede Massacre"?

Posted by: KJ not logged in ( )
Date: July 24, 2018 10:34AM

This is a mini series.....

Although itt was written as a movie.

I'm hoping for a season 2...….but it's not likely.

It is definitely worth watching...…

KJ/Tutu

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 24, 2018 08:50PM

I'm watching Episode 1 right now...

Posted by: Bill ( )
Date: July 26, 2018 12:06PM

Oh my gosh...this is so good. Very well done. Totally agree..Great acting, scenery, story line, drama...love it. Yes indeed 5 star rating on this one. Very enjoyable. Like it as much as Lonesome Dove and some of the other great Western series.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 26, 2018 12:50PM

I finished the series last night.
Couldn't stop once I started.

Really, really liked it. Thanks for bringing it up!

One other historical "oops" (intentional or not? Got me.):

The "Frank" character mentions Isaac Haight a few times, saying he had 16 wives. He actually had 5...

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: July 26, 2018 12:53PM

I want to add this is a great series. We have watched 3 episodes so far. It is dark with some violence. The music and cinematography are excellent. I love the violas and their haunting music in the background of many scenes.

Posted by: calico ( )
Date: July 26, 2018 11:35PM

Great series! I am a fan of Scoot McNairy so once I saw he was in it, thought I would give it a try. He, and many others, are perfect for this show. Although frequently dark, there is beautiful scenes in it as well. Saw the 1st 2 episodes yesterday, and the next 2 today. I would binge watch the rest tonight if I didn't have to be doing something else.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: July 28, 2018 03:16AM

How would it play for a TBM spouse? He likes historical things, and is able to deal with some degree of negative material about the church.

I may watch it on my phone first, and see how it feels to me.

We have Netflix, and I have wondered about GODLESS. Thanks for the review.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: July 31, 2018 10:18AM

I started watching it because of Michelle Dockery being in it. Not to mention Sam Waterston and Jeff Daniels. I think I only watched two episodes and was stunned when Griffen's back story was introduced. I hadn't heard anything about the tie in with MMM. I need to go back and finish it now. Maybe I'll do that on my vacation. I guess after a couple episodes, I got caught up in the second season of Handmaid's Tale and couldn't think of watching anything else even slightly dark until that was over.

One question, I remember that when he was telling the tale of what he remembered as a little kid during the raid he talked about the women being raped before they were killed. Is that narrative spoken of anywhere else or did they just throw it in to enhance the story?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.