Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: November 26, 2017 11:17AM

Anybody who says facts dont change peoples minds when they are emotionally invested in a myth, is forgetting we nearly all figured out Santa wasn't real based upon facts, despite the fact we mostly all have an emotional attachment to that idea.
And he didnt even fuck his followers kids or wives, because he never existed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: November 26, 2017 11:53AM

Yeah, but, when you started to grow up and learn science and facts, you came to learn that Santa was made up. Older kids and adults acknowledged your discovery. In the mormon cult, as you start to learn and question, you get berated, by adults that are supposed to protect you, to stick your head back in the sand and base your life on feelings instead of facts.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 26, 2017 11:57AM

Well, when I was told Santa wasn't real, I personally was not ready to hear it. Another year and I would have been. It's probably like that for TBMs as well. Some are ready, some are not ready yet, and some will never be ready.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: November 26, 2017 07:13PM

LOL @ exmos who think Santa isn't real ~

just LOL ~

good luck at getting any presents this Christmas ~

lol @ you loser exmos ~

just LOL ~

Posted by: Razortooth ( )
Date: November 26, 2017 07:20PM

Santa isn't real?

Posted by: Razortooth ( )
Date: November 26, 2017 07:21PM

Finding out that Santa wasn't real didn't mean I had to shove my presents back up the chimney.

Posted by: Elder What's-his-face ( )
Date: November 26, 2017 09:41PM

It also didn't stop actual presents from coming every year.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: November 26, 2017 08:06PM

I want Mrs Santa to be a little more naughty this year.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: November 26, 2017 09:48PM

Santa Claus never threatened to cut my throat open from ear to ear.

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: November 26, 2017 10:02PM

Santa was NEVER ACcused of raping kidz, and other mens wives.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 26, 2017 10:04PM

The reason you did well with that information is because you were a kid. Adult minds are much harder to change.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 26, 2017 10:08PM

I figured out Santa the same way I figured out Mormonism.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: November 26, 2017 10:10PM

I wasn't ready to hear about Santa the year I was told, either. It was a couple of older siblings who were young, too, but still enough older than I to know they were being mean.

Regardless of how a person learns about Santa, when the big moment happens for most of us, no one is throwing General Conference sermons, books, scriptures, and all other means of faulty reasoning at the person to get him or her to reject reality, threatening the person's place in the family's present or eternity, shunning, guilting, or otherwise tormenting the person.

It's not even an apples-and-oranges comparison. It's more like comparing radioactive iodine to Laffy Taffy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2017 10:11PM by scmd.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: November 26, 2017 11:48PM

Posted by: Backseater ( )
Date: November 27, 2017 08:50AM

When I accidentally discovered the hidden presents later to be delivered by "Santa," My folks took me into the conspiracy for the sake of the younger kids. After a little thought, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy fell in quick succession. Years later came Watergate, and the same thought processes destroyed all my traditional political illusions. Organized religion had faded more slowly over a longer period, although I still consider myself a "Jack" Unitarian.
So now I have almost nothing left to believe in--but at least I can appreciate the humor in the current political situation.

Posted by: anonuk ( )
Date: November 27, 2017 09:30AM

My siblings and I did a deal with our youngest sibling when she announced to the rest of us she knew santa wasn't real - we told her that so long as she still believed, we all got gifts from santa so she was to keep her mouth shut and pretend to believe or we'd all lose out.

Kept it up for years.

Scroll back a few years and my elder sibling showed me some stashed, unwrapped gifts. That christmas I received one of those items from 'santa'. When I boned my folks about it they let me in on the conspiracy for the sake of our younger siblings.

When I first realised the discrepancies with mormon doctrine and raised those issues with my parents, like a lot of posters, the response from my parents was completely opposite, which was puzzling and made me think I was wrong (which I never was at school, I was the clever one and it did piss off one or two teachers).

So I would agree that we all took finding out about santa fairly well, but it was (for some) our first experience of finding out our parents and all grown-ups were actively deceiving we children.

Myself, I try never to say santa is real, I just say the stories and songs say things about him and ask my kids what they think. I strongly suspect they have had their own suspicions for a while now, but are too unsure to admit it to we parents, just in case it results in less presents.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 27, 2017 09:46AM

Yeah, when I found out, I was both surprised and a little angry. Why couldn't my parents just give me gifts, instead of lying and making things up? I was 7. I wish I'd recognized the traits of lying and making things up before I had myself mormon-dunked the next year.

We don't do "santa" with our kids. We do put out unwrapped surprises, but not on "christmas" morning -- we do it over a week, one a day (most are small, fun things, there's usually one "big" thing). I'm just fine with telling my kids these surprises are from us, their parents -- because we love them and care about them, and that some years we saved all year to get them something they really wanted.

I honestly can't see ANY "good" whatsoever in lying to kids, telling them there's a magical man at the north pole who watches them all year long and rewards them once a year if they've been "good." Then again, I don't see any "good" in lying to kids and telling them there's a magical man in the sky who watches them all the time and will reward them when they die if they're "good" either. Both are despicable lies, intended only to guilt kids into supposedly "good" behavior. Far better, IMHO, to teach them the value of kindness and honesty in their dealings with their fellow human beings, and why those things are "good" for them, their societies, and humanity.

I encourage kids' fantasies, imaginative play, etc. I despise lying to kids to get them to "behave."

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 27, 2017 07:07PM

There's a principle in economics and psychology that you believe more deeply in something that has hurt you. If you've put a lot of money, time, effort, or pain into something, the emotional cost of throwing it away is high.

Yes, we all put some time and energy and money into Santa. But he was generally a good and benevolent experience and our investment was limited. It hurt to say goodbye to the old man, but there was also the compensatory pride in having outsmarted our parents.

Mormonism is far tougher to abandon. If you've sacrificed your sex life, your peace of mind, your money, your time, and your children and friends, admitting it was all a mistake is terribly painful--and humiliating as well. It was tougher still for the people in Joseph's day, people who gave away their spouses and their moral independence. And then they moved from place to place, surrendering their friends and relatives as well. The fact that Mormonism hurt people so deeply is why it is so much harder to shed that delusion than the Santa mythology.

Do you want someone's unfailing loyalty? Make them pay the heaviest possible price.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.