Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Human ( )
Date: November 26, 2017 01:07PM

From Canada, a belated Happy Thanksgiving to RfM’s American posters and lurkers.

Hope you all enjoyed your hams and turkeys. But I bet you didn’t quite enjoy them in the same way this fella enjoys them:

https://youtu.be/atJ2PihThFg

(Stick around for the whole 2.5 minutes. Cornelius is fulfilled.)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 26, 2017 07:00PM

I love turkey. How come it is not legal to eat it year round ?

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 26, 2017 07:14PM

That was heart-warming.

I love seeing animals treated with care and respect.
No comment about how to keep a barn clean like a bedroom.

I hate that life has to kill other life to live. Sigh.

Thanks for that.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: November 26, 2017 07:25PM

It doesn't.

Too sweet. It took me a full minute before I even saw the pig.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 27, 2017 10:35AM

CateS Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It doesn't.

Um...you do realize that plants are living things too, right? :)

Date: November 28, 2017 05:12PM

Well, if you're going to go down that road...

Technically, you don't have to KILL any plants--if non-sentient killing bothers you that much.

;)

Date: November 28, 2017 02:36PM

Hi Dagny.

In a past thread about the ethics of eating you recommended a documentary. Can’t find the thread. Do you remember the title of the documentary? Something with knives, I think.

Thank you.

Date: November 28, 2017 05:13PM

Are you thinking Forks Over Knives?

Date: November 28, 2017 07:32PM

Yes, Forks Over Knives.

To be honest I have some issues with their research/facts due to not being able to exclude certain variables. That said, there were so many things to think about that I was convinced I should try and change when I can. I saw huge health benefits.

I'm not the best at being vegan. I would say I'm 80% vegan, 90% vegetarian. I try to buy local produce. I try to make choices based on how the animal was raised and its potential for suffering. Even a little change can make an impact on your health, the environment, or for animals in general.

I'm not that person who has to make a big production out of food choices when I am at a restaurant or a guest.

I can't control overpopulation or the fact my dog prefers meat. I can't control the cruelness (or beauty) of nature. I CAN make better choices most of the time and be a voice for animals where possible.

I will be interested to try cultured meat grown from cells and not from an animal that could suffer. I have given a lot of thought to overpopulation and decreasing habitats. Humans won't stop until there is no more flora of fauna to overtake, I'm afraid. Don't get me started on our consume-and-toss-away mentality and plastic islands.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 08:47PM

I focus on whole plant foods. I don't consider harvesting a beet or carrot from a clump to be "killing the plants", rather I see this as taking some, leaving the rest. The beet is a clumping creature, you don't kill the clump when you take some greens or the odd root. You don't kill the vine when you take a few potatoes. Many useful food crops are clumping, like pineapple. When you eat yeasts or probiotics, you are planting an intestinal garden as well as digesting some of a mass organism. When you eat algae, the great mass of earthly algae is not affected by much if any, the algae persists in the environment and you receive some nourishment. Whales are just plankton in another form. They synergize in the system, and nothing is tortured or bled until the Japanese whalers show up.

My diet is almost entirely fruits, in a broad definition that includes beans and legumes and seeds and nuts to be fruits. These fruits come ripe, and the plant dies naturally. These seed fruits can be preserved temporarily, but they decompose over time anyway. It is true a seed can grow a new plant, but there is an excess of seed, so I may eat some, sprout some, and preserve/plant the rest. The cycle continues, without torture or bloodshed. I also eat clumpers (group organisms) like bananas and plantains, breadfruit, tree fruits, and juicy fruits like pineapple and papaya and melon that don't require any killing to harvest fruits. I grow plants, I eat some of their fruits, the plants and I both persist.

Bottom line, I don't kill much any more, not even insects. I'll kill a centipede or a roach or a mosquito in my room tho, and clean bacteria from my living spaces. So-called death is part of so-called life. Big wheel keeps on turnin', what's your karma like? :)

Date: November 28, 2017 08:57PM

I'm impressed, kind denizen of our planet!

I can't say I have issues with eating plants but I'm caring more about how they are grown and distributed nowadays.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: November 26, 2017 07:19PM

hey Canada ! ~

stay the f*ck out of US American Thanksgiving threds ~

ok ? ~

srs ~

you can't even have Thanksgiving in the right month ! ~

lol ~

brb ~ laffing @ your monopoly money ~

brb ~ laffing at your igloo houses ~

brb ~ laffing @ your round "bacon" ~

brb ~ lol ~

judt lol ~

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 08:54PM

And they're probably laughing at our health care system. Theirs isn't without its flaws, but it appears to be far superior to what we have going on here.

Semi-seriously, Ziller, I don't know if I could ever really be a Canadian because it would just seem WRONG on some level to celebrate Thanksgiving in October.

ziller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> hey Canada ! ~
>
>
> stay the f*ck out of US American Thanksgiving
> threds ~
>
>
> ok ? ~
>
>
> srs ~
>
>
> you can't even have Thanksgiving in the right
> month ! ~
>
>
> lol ~
>
>
> brb ~ laffing @ your monopoly money ~
>
>
> brb ~ laffing at your igloo houses ~
>
>
> brb ~ laffing @ your round "bacon" ~
>
>
> brb ~ lol ~
>
>
> judt lol ~

Posted by: looking in ( )
Date: November 29, 2017 12:07AM

"I don't know if I could ever really be a Canadian because it would just seem WRONG on some level to celebrate Thanksgiving in October."

See, that's how I would feel about celebrating Thanksgiving in November! It's all perspective I guess...

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 03:01PM

That is the biggest pig i have ever seen. It dwarfs that dog.

Date: November 28, 2017 03:08PM

No kiddin’, eh?

Esther is some good eatin’ hog:

https://mobile.twitter.com/EstherThePig/status/934966753494487040

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 09:09PM

Jeeeesus that thing is huge.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.