Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Crazy horse ( )
Date: November 27, 2017 05:57PM

Hi I am wandering why this so called church sends so many missionaries out and can't even let them do anything? Don't do this or that. You don't ask them to knock on your door they do!and after you find out the real truth you feel angry and like why!I am sick of the church of Joseph Smith of latter day liars

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 27, 2017 06:03PM

Getting "converts" is only the secondary "mission" for missionaries.
The real purpose of a mission is to train up good little morgbot cult members.

Essentially, if you make it through a mission without going crazy, going "apostate," or dying from some disease, you're generally whipped into shape to be an unthinking, obedient cult member for life.

Or at least that's what they think...:)

Posted by: Crazy horse ( )
Date: November 27, 2017 06:18PM

Yep and boys who reach 19 or 18 have no choice but to go! They can't decide where they are going to! What a money hungry cult the Mormon church is

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: November 27, 2017 07:06PM

The choice to not go is probably just as bad i can attest to that. Your whole extended family will treat you like a piece of shit the rest of your life. And that info about getting coverts is secondary is very interesting i never even thought of that thanks for more info to put in my noggin.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: November 27, 2017 06:34PM

There is also the historical factor. Joseph Smith started it, and, since he was the Prophet of God, it must be important.

We know now that he had all sorts of reasons for sending men away from their families (boys were not included until much later). But those reasons were not a part of the church narrative (sorry, Oaks and Nelson). The only reason we are told about was to spread the Kingdom of God abroad in the land.

To repeat, Joseph Smith said to do it, so Mormons do it.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: November 27, 2017 07:02PM

A: To break them and make them slaves of Mormonism forever

Posted by: kairos ( )
Date: November 27, 2017 07:12PM

average number of converts per mish is 4 or 5 so 70000 x 4=280000
converts less loss thru walkaways among newly baptized say 30%=216000 new hopefully tithers.

so that a reason-need fresh meat to keep salaries of 200 mission presidents at 150000 dollars per = $30million per year on mission presidents. ROI may vary as may your mileage.

k

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 27, 2017 08:06PM

I think you're being far too generous with that "30%" loss.

"If that wasn’t bad enough for the Church “data from Latin America, the Philippines, and other international areas demonstrate that three quarters of converts are entirely lost to the church within a year after baptism”.

The stats also show that while over 80% of the yearly converts take place outside of the U.S., only 25% of those converts remain active longer than a year."

http://lifeafter.org/lds-church-membership-activity-rates-and-retention/

Posted by: Strength in the Loins ( )
Date: November 29, 2017 09:22PM

agree with hie...your 30% loss figure is insanely low.

In my experience, that number would probably be somewhere around 80-90%. Hell, even if you throw the BICs into the mix and look at overall activity, only around 1/3 of the 15 million that the church claims as members actually attend. And full tithe payers would only constitute a portion of that number.

Posted by: dirtbikr ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 02:13AM

Number one reason, deeply brainwash the elder to come home have a bunch of kids And PAY TITHING. Number two is to convert more people to PAY TITHING.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 02:34AM

No sex for two years makes the RM get married early, have kids, take out student loans, buy a big house with a big mortgage, drive a gas-guzzling Suburban with a stick-figure family on the back window, become a member of the elders’ quorum presidency in preparation for being a member of the bishopric, all so the RM can send his own kids to do the same. It’s the Plan of Stagnation! The stick-figure Boner.

Date: November 30, 2017 03:29PM

Hahahahaha damn those stick figure families to hell. Yea i am breaking my counselor's rules by still lurking on here but that was fucking funny and i am in a waiting room right now what the hell am i supposed to do. The guilty badass.

Posted by: jstone ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 06:04AM

Missions have strict rules to teach obedience but with so many impossible to obey all the time rules they also instill a sense of personal failure. Now the SCC doesn’t say these mission rules are aspirations but says or implies that they are the will of god.

When individuals believe they have continually failed to fully obey the will of god it results in lowered expectations about the SCC’s promises to them - opening the windows of heaven etc. such individuals are set on a path and are less likely to be critical and more willing to be led.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 09:02AM

My dad, a TBM, believes the tradition started in getting the youngest guys out of the settlements so that they nubile females would be stuck with marrying the old geezers, and the tradition just happened to stick. It still perpetuates to a degree the idea that the guy is usually a couple of years older than the girl when they marry, which is something the church seems to like. Letting girls go on missions at 19 changed that up just a bit, though. I still wonder what that was all about.

And, of course, some older guys, most with families, went off on missions back in the old days as well, so it wouldn't explain everything. That practice may have been in part a way of keeping male portion of the herd relatively thin. Too much testosterone in the village , and too many male opinions asserting themselves, wasn't a good thing for Brig or whoever was in charge. It also may have been a way of maintaining discipline. Question too many things and you'll end up traipsing Louisiana without purse or script.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 11:13AM

For their own good, I mean bad.

They can't afford not to?

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: November 29, 2017 03:35PM

C-O-N-T-R-O-L

You can't leave the cult if you believe that you are powerless.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: November 30, 2017 12:54PM

Two years of fears - without beers or cheers.

It's to (try to) "sell" the missionaries-

To themselves-
If they buy it.

I didn't buy it and they couldn't afford to sell it - honestly - anyway.

I sensed something fishy (and it stunk) so drank and worked on my factory in order to be ineligible.

I wasn't going to sell something that wasn't mine (like Joey did) that made no sense whatsoever.

M@t

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: November 30, 2017 01:07PM

It fulfills the "Spread the Gospel" mandate that they take seriously.

You know, the "Spread the Gospel; Perfect the Saints; Redeem the Dead" mission they feel they are responsible for.

It was drilled into us.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: November 30, 2017 01:08PM

Boy, reading some of the replies makes me think that some have really forgotten what was drilled into our heads, theologically speaking, when we were LDS.

:-/

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 30, 2017 01:28PM

At the time I was a missionary, I didn't catch on that it included indoctrination. I went to a new mission in a just-opened country, and it still seems today that our goal was "conversion" (recruitment of new people willing to join an American cult). But even way back then, the LDS church retention rate was around 30%--we didn't recognise that that spelled failure.

Today, the retention rate is below 25% and falling. So over 70%-75% of all people baptised (we'll say baptised for the sake of avoiding the word "converted") either quit going, never go in the first place (missions have relaxed that rule), leave the church entirely, or otherwise deny self-identification as a Mormon.

Among returned missionaries, however, I have read several times that the drop-out rate is approximate 40% (vice 70%-75%). What that means is that LDS indoctrination works to a modest extent, and therefore it helps the overall cause to get as many kids as possible on missions, hoping to hold onto them.

The church may have slashed its own throat, however. In an effort to keep boys and girls from learning new stuff that might alter their path to a mission, they have moved the mission age for the boys down to 18, and young men are pressured at 17 to begin preparing for their 18th birthday and almost immediate induction into the mission home. This theoretically helps the boys avoid alternatives, such as the military or college. But the downside is that that one year (18-19) makes such a difference in maturity, that the 18 year-olds are having a real hard time coping; there is a record number of new missionaries who turn around and come right back home due to a multitude of reasons: loneliness; doing relatively hard work with no support from leaders; being bullied by mission leadership; an inability to live on their own; bunk with a bunch of strangers. So we'll see where this goes. The boys returning home in huge numbers may not get as indoctrinated as the church hoped, especially when they face shabby treatment upon return. It seems that when the Mormon church makes any major change, it results in a solid shot to the foot, and I'm curious how this will play out.

Date: November 30, 2017 03:38PM

College saved my ass kind of atleast from the mission. Graduated high school at 17 years old i wasn't just going to sit around and was already a year into college. In a philosophy class a guy next to me said that the church was a cult and i still remember it to this day and it kind of really made me think about it at that point because the church was so damn secretive and this was before youtube.

Posted by: hausfrau ( )
Date: December 01, 2017 02:40PM

And that is why many Mormons claim that university and colleges are brainwashing. *eye roll*

Date: December 01, 2017 02:53PM

Haha if the 18 year old goes to a world religions class and a philosophy class its pretty much game over. You have to dumb back down to go back to mormonism after those two classes alone.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: November 30, 2017 05:30PM

I am turning this question over to Elder Pickle Bednarie to answer because I couldn't wait to hear his reply. (he didn't disappoint me either)

"That is a Very good question," Elder Pickle Bedarie, so very unhumbly mumbled. "It is a question that Susannnah thinks is her turn to answer, but just cannot or will not get it into her thick head that she gets to answer ONLY the questions I SAY she will answer."

Then, after almost beaming his very kind and sweet wife, Susannah, a good one right in the face, the Crown Prince of Arrogantville, a titillating title he bestowed on himself, went on to surmonize....

"The LDS Church, as you can imagine, sends out missionaries for many reasons, but the one I, uh, I mean we, the Church leaders, must drill into their silly meandering heads, which only seem to zero in on the gorgeous young boys, oops, I meant girls, is that missionaries are needed to tell people in this poor, dilapidated excuse of a country, uh, which I don't know if it is even possible to reach them, about how splendid and marvelous I am...uh, oops, I mean we, the leaders are. In this way they will always know and have a testimony of the truthfulness of this amazing gospel! I ask, who is better than I, uh, I mean we, to pound it into their empty heads?"

Not long after, the long drawn-out-boring-meeting came to a close with Bedarie's final dismissive remarks:

"You are so very welcome for my keen and spot-on insight and I so love you almost as much as I love myself," tearful-eyed-Bednarie stated as he nearly managed to trip his Dearly Beloved Wife who was daring to rise up from her chair BEFORE he, the Crown Prince of Arrogantville, arose from his throne.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2017 12:55AM by presleynfactsrock.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: December 01, 2017 02:07PM

They send them out forEVER.
Hope that answers your question.

Think only a little about idolatry, money worship, business, image, branding, calling cards, temples by the hi-low-ways instead of in the communities where the dead are living, and, what do you find or learn? Well, ever thought about this:

It's "FREE 'advertising'".

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.