Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 08:25PM

The Deseret News has happily trumpeted the achievements of Mormon church member and Pixar animator Emron Grover:

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865693070/BYU-animation-grad-Emron-Grover-is-the-digital-tailor-for-Pixars-Coco.html

But in a public Facebook post, Carol Lynn Pearson tells the rest of the tale--

"MEET ONE OF THE BEAUTIFUL, CREATIVE, MARRIED GAY MEN THAT MY CHURCH HAS NO ROOM FOR. I love this great story in the Deseret News about the animator who designed the digital clothing for all the characters in the new hit movie, 'Coco.' When I reached Emron by email yesterday I found him in Bangkok about to do a presentation at a conference on the graphics in 'Coco.' I asked and received permission to share a different part of his story.

Emron and his husband and two adopted sons live in a Mormon ward in my stake and have loved their experience there. Their ward loves them and has showered them with tremendous warmth. A few years ago in a sacrament meeting, their two boys each received a name and a blessing. Emron, as a gay man in a relationship, could not perform the ordinances, but he stood beside his father and held the microphone while his father pronounced the blessings on his grandsons. Emron and his husband looked forward to raising their sons in the LDS Church.

But that changed two years ago with a new official church policy that barred children of gay parents from receiving church ordinances and automatically placed the parents in the category of 'apostate.' Emron ended his email to me with, '…haven’t been back to church in a while :( .' For a story like this one the 'sad face' symbol was invented. I have a sad face as I write this. What a loss for my church community. If we exist 'that we might have joy,' surely that means all of us. May it be so."

https://www.facebook.com/clpauthor

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: angela ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 08:27PM

Mormons have a right, as much as we hate it, to exercise the practice of "mormonism" as they see fit.

If someone doesn't like it, find another faith.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 09:02PM

Nothing significant has ever changed because people asked nicely.

The Mormon church did not change its policy on blacks in the priesthood, for instance, because people asked nicely, or because it was the correct, proper, and decent thing to do, or even through divine inspiration.

It did so because its position was no longer politically nor socially viable. The church was the object of open contempt.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 09:20PM

They also have a "right" to be the intolerable bigots that they are.

That doesn't mean I can't point out their bigotry, their ignorance, and their horrible treatment of good people for the stupidest of reasons.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 08:36PM

and I don't want another faith. I don't want any faith.

I was encouraged STRONGLY 33 years ago to marry someone gay, that this was the way to save him. We had twins, who are now 32.

So the LDS church told me that I should marry someone gay and then 2 years ago told me that my kids are less than other people. My daughter is TBM. She has never lived with her father and a partner. But does she have to disavow her father when she gets a TR?

They had many, many, many gays marry (still are) and then they pull this bullshit and my kids and I got caught in it. We all did.

I'm glad to hear this man quit going to the LDS church.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2017 08:36PM by cl2.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 08:45PM

How sad.

Not so much for the church, but for the loss of his cultural identity.

Very disheartening when you hear such stories. The church has lost its moral compass, if it ever had one.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 09:41PM

The Deseret mentions nothing of his family or personal life. It doesn't mention the discrimination his loved ones face daily, because of evil church policy.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: November 29, 2017 10:22AM

That's not honest journalism then.

But wouldn't expect the Deseret to report the facts honestly or journalistically when its a PR arm of the church propaganda machine.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 09:53PM

I appreciate the post. However, I long ago quit hoping for a change of heart from those who excluded me. Once, with my nose pressed against the window hoping to be let into the party, I caught a glimpse of my own reflection in the glass, and knew I never wanted to see that look on my own face again. Had I children like these men, that would go double.

I built my own life to my own blue print and invited others in.

I hope these men come to realize they are slumming by wanting to be accepted by Mormons. There is better out there. Gay people should not allow themselves to be "pearls before swine."

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 10:15PM

but Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me and do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of heaven." http://esv.to/Matt19.14

And

but whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a great millstone fastened around his neck and to be drowned in the depth of the sea. http://esv.to/Matt18.6

Isn’t it a sin not to love one’s gay parents? The Q-15 are going to have a lot of explaining to do.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2017 11:52PM by BYU Boner.

Posted by: a nonny mouse ( )
Date: November 29, 2017 05:55PM

Not to mention "we believe that man shall be punished for his own sins and not for Adam's transgression" but children will definitely be punished for the sins of their gay parents

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 28, 2017 11:04PM

Deseret News is sure trying to claim the story and praise BYU. Apparently they don't see the irony.

Posted by: You Too? ( )
Date: November 29, 2017 04:46PM

Do the right thing for your kids Emron.

Dump the goddamn Mormon church.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.