Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: November 30, 2017 11:05PM

I think this plate has just come into the available list, at least in the last year or so. And there are LOTS of new cars in Utah that have it attached.

https://imgur.com/a/iF00I

I think Utah state should offer an non-mormon (on religious) plate for those who fall in that group?

The plate just bothers me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 30, 2017 11:37PM

In god we thrust.

Posted by: xxMMMooo ( )
Date: November 30, 2017 11:39PM

I assume you won't be using any U.S. money either.

Date: November 30, 2017 11:45PM

You say that like it is some kind of choice.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: December 01, 2017 12:35AM

I'm of the same thought, if the license plates bother you, the U.S. currency must drive you crazy, so as a favor to everyone, please gather all the offending currency and send it to me and I'll dispose of it properly.

Date: December 01, 2017 12:41AM

Yup. Your bullshit religious grafitti on money does indeed disturb me. Please send me some substitute currency or STFU.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 01, 2017 07:59AM

Money transactions are important and represent honesty and integrity to me, not a tribute to some pretend sky pal.

If you were trading money printed with In Porky Pig We Trust, or Thor's Sword or some such, wouldn't it take away from the serious nature of what it represents to you? Well, that's how it feels to me. I no more trust a pretend god than Porky Pig.

Most car license plates here in Alabama say God Bless America. It strikes me as xenophobic and selfish.

If putting "God" on license plates and money makes believers feel good, I get that. But an alternative is nice to have. Notice most credit cards and bank transitions don't reference God. They are able to go 5 minutes without having to involve a god.

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: December 01, 2017 11:50AM

Where I live, I see about equal numbers of the flag-waving-god-bless-america plates, the nice coastal scene plates, and university of alabama plates.

I often have the urge to ask - God bless America? Just America?
Why not the whole World? Why not everybody?

Then my next thought is - As a proud Alabamian, you obviously don't want God to bless all of America. Certainly, you don't want God to bless Massachusetts or California, do you?

I have opted for the Save the Cahaba plate for nearly 10 years now.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 08, 2017 06:10PM

I have the Sweet Home Alabama plates....because I like the song. :-)

I'm not looking forward to driving around in other states with Alabama plates right now for obvious reasons.

I like the nature ones too.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 01, 2017 12:19AM

Do you remember those annoying "Baby on Board" tags? They were so ubiquitous and so annoying that people began to come up with humorous alternatives. Perhaps the same will happen here.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: December 01, 2017 11:42PM

My favorite was OJ on board on a white Bronco.

Posted by: oneinbillions ( )
Date: December 01, 2017 12:41AM

This is so weird; I've been thinking of posting a topic like this all week. I thought I was the only one who would be bothered by those plates.

Did you know that they're a nation-wide thing? Utah became the 19th state to standardize them last year. "In God we Trust" has been the official MOTTO of the United States of America since 1956, when it was changed from "E Pluribus Unum."

It's a sad irony that the Founding Fathers established the Separation of Church and State to prevent exactly this kind of thing, and the modern legislators and politicians who endorse it call on the Founding Fathers themselves.

"Christian nation" my ass. Fuck Trump's border wall; we need to rebuild the wall between Church and State.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: December 01, 2017 01:54AM

From what I've seen of God, he's not trustworthy at all. No matter how many times I have prayed, he has always dropped the ball.

A blessing of health? Nope, aspirin and bed rest were effective, but God's cures were defective.

Celestial guidance with a difficult choice? Nope, I always ended up listening to my own voice.

I gave him trust before he earned it because I was taught that he deserved it.

I learned not to give God unearned trust.

Nope, I haven't been able to count on him at all; He never clocks in for his shift.
It's as if he doesn't even exist...

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: December 01, 2017 11:47AM

I am trying to figure out which guy is you hie haha jk.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: December 01, 2017 09:31AM

New Hampshire's motto is: "Live Free or Die."

Take yer pick.

It doesn't bother me, but then I believe in God.

People aren't required to have that on their license plate.

If it's optional I don't see any difference between that and other labels on license plates across America.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2017 09:32AM by Amyjo.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 01, 2017 09:39AM

Amyjo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If it's optional I don't see any difference
> between that and other labels on license plates
> across America.

Then I guess you'd welcome the state spending your tax money to put "Praise be to Allah" on state-produced license plates, right?

Date: December 01, 2017 09:45AM

If it's optional and I'm Muslim, then hell yeah.

Although saying "In God We Trust" does not violate separation of state and church.

It's been coined since nearly the founding of our country.

And Christians all over America put scriptures for their license plates.

That's legal.

If you had your way you'd stamp it out, which would violate others freedom of religion and speech.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2017 09:58AM by Amyjo.

Date: December 01, 2017 10:03AM

Amyjo Wrote:
> It's been coined since nearly the founding of our
> country.

You need to learn some history.

> If you had your way you'd stamp it out, which
> would violate others freedom of religion and
> speech.

If I had my way, no tax money would be used to establish religion in any way. You know, like the constitution says. What people do on their own is their own business -- what the state does is mine and everyone else's.

Date: December 01, 2017 10:15AM

does your religious grafitti on my government-required plates violate my freedom of speech ?
It's not a freedom of speech issue.
It's a government sponsored endorsement of religion issue.
You can say all the religious bullshit you want but you cannot compel me to support your idiotic religion through licensing fees.
Why don't you go and live in Iran where they have one nation under god.

Date: December 01, 2017 10:19AM

Take it up with Congress.

And next, the Utah state legislature.

Your rights stop where others begin.

Date: December 01, 2017 10:28AM

Amyjo Wrote:
> Take it up with Congress.
>
> And next, the Utah state legislature.

People are doing just that.

> Your rights stop where others begin.

What's good for the goose...

Posted by: ProvoX ( )
Date: December 09, 2017 10:50PM

If seeing "In God We Trust" on a license plate is somehow compelling you to religion, you must be...well, I dunno...

Date: December 10, 2017 07:18PM

If using tax dollars to support your religion doesn't bother you, you must be...well, I dunno...

Date: December 01, 2017 09:57AM

"In God we Trust" has been the national motto of the United States since 1957.

It's been in use on coinage since the Civil War.

"History of 'In God We Trust'

The motto IN GOD WE TRUST was placed on United States coins largely because of the increased religious sentiment existing during the Civil War. Secretary of the Treasury Salmon P. Chase received many appeals from devout persons throughout the country, urging that the United States recognize the Deity on United States coins. From Treasury Department records, it appears that the first such appeal came in a letter dated November 13, 1861. It was written to Secretary Chase by Rev. M. R. Watkinson, Minister of the Gospel from Ridleyville, Pennsylvania, and read:

Dear Sir: You are about to submit your annual report to the Congress respecting the affairs of the national finances.
One fact touching our currency has hitherto been seriously overlooked. I mean the recognition of the Almighty God in some form on our coins.

You are probably a Christian. What if our Republic were not shattered beyond reconstruction? Would not the antiquaries of succeeding centuries rightly reason from our past that we were a heathen nation? What I propose is that instead of the goddess of liberty we shall have next inside the 13 stars a ring inscribed with the words PERPETUAL UNION; within the ring the allseeing eye, crowned with a halo; beneath this eye the American flag, bearing in its field stars equal to the number of the States united; in the folds of the bars the words GOD, LIBERTY, LAW.

This would make a beautiful coin, to which no possible citizen could object. This would relieve us from the ignominy of heathenism. This would place us openly under the Divine protection we have personally claimed. From my hearth I have felt our national shame in disowning God as not the least of our present national disasters.

To you first I address a subject that must be agitated.

As a result, Secretary Chase instructed James Pollock, Director of the Mint at Philadelphia, to prepare a motto, in a letter dated November 20, 1861:
Dear Sir: No nation can be strong except in the strength of God, or safe except in His defense. The trust of our people in God should be declared on our national coins.
You will cause a device to be prepared without unnecessary delay with a motto expressing in the fewest and tersest words possible this national recognition.

It was found that the Act of Congress dated January 18, 1837, prescribed the mottoes and devices that should be placed upon the coins of the United States. This meant that the mint could make no changes without the enactment of additional legislation by the Congress. In December 1863, the Director of the Mint submitted designs for new one-cent coin, two-cent coin, and three-cent coin to Secretary Chase for approval. He proposed that upon the designs either OUR COUNTRY; OUR GOD or GOD, OUR TRUST should appear as a motto on the coins. In a letter to the Mint Director on December 9, 1863, Secretary Chase stated:
I approve your mottoes, only suggesting that on that with the Washington obverse the motto should begin with the word OUR, so as to read OUR GOD AND OUR COUNTRY. And on that with the shield, it should be changed so as to read: IN GOD WE TRUST.
The Congress passed the Act of April 22, 1864. This legislation changed the composition of the one-cent coin and authorized the minting of the two-cent coin. The Mint Director was directed to develop the designs for these coins for final approval of the Secretary. IN GOD WE TRUST first appeared on the 1864 two-cent coin.

Another Act of Congress passed on March 3, 1865. It allowed the Mint Director, with the Secretary's approval, to place the motto on all gold and silver coins that "shall admit the inscription thereon." Under the Act, the motto was placed on the gold double-eagle coin, the gold eagle coin, and the gold half-eagle coin. It was also placed on the silver dollar coin, the half-dollar coin and the quarter-dollar coin, and on the nickel three-cent coin beginning in 1866. Later, Congress passed the Coinage Act of February 12, 1873. It also said that the Secretary "may cause the motto IN GOD WE TRUST to be inscribed on such coins as shall admit of such motto."

The use of IN GOD WE TRUST has not been uninterrupted. The motto disappeared from the five-cent coin in 1883, and did not reappear until production of the Jefferson nickel began in 1938. Since 1938, all United States coins bear the inscription. Later, the motto was found missing from the new design of the double-eagle gold coin and the eagle gold coin shortly after they appeared in 1907. In response to a general demand, Congress ordered it restored, and the Act of May 18, 1908, made it mandatory on all coins upon which it had previously appeared. IN GOD WE TRUST was not mandatory on the one-cent coin and five-cent coin. It could be placed on them by the Secretary or the Mint Director with the Secretary's approval.

The motto has been in continuous use on the one-cent coin since 1909, and on the ten-cent coin since 1916. It also has appeared on all gold coins and silver dollar coins, half-dollar coins, and quarter-dollar coins struck since July 1, 1908."

https://www.treasury.gov/about/education/Pages/in-god-we-trust.aspx

Date: December 01, 2017 10:17AM

It's the we-have-been-getting-away-with-it-so-long-you-can't-stop-us argument.

Date: December 01, 2017 10:25AM

That isn't the fault of the Congress who enacted the legislation. Nor the reasoning that went into it.

It's still a good motto; just because you don't agree with it.

Be glad you live in a country that allows you the freedom to disagree. Or not.

Date: December 01, 2017 10:27AM

It's a very bad motto. You just agree with it.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: December 10, 2017 11:24PM

Both sides used the Bible heavily to support their positions in the Civil War. After the war, the South needed to be further subjugated so religion was hyped up and the “In God We Trust” schtick was invented. The Bible Belt is alive and well.

Posted by: MeM ( )
Date: December 01, 2017 10:19AM

I just go slightly dyslexic when I see that license plate: "In Dog we Trust" and it's all good.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: December 01, 2017 01:35PM

You might as well just have one that says:

"I am more righteous and patriotic than you!"

Posted by: rubi123 ( )
Date: December 01, 2017 01:43PM

I think it's a nice option. A lot of people wouldn't mind having that license plate. If they do mind, they can choose another plate.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 01, 2017 01:55PM

That license plate motto is purely a display of tribal colors. And yeah, it is unconstitutional. The whole point is that the tribe can show it is powerful enough to push that through anyway, Constitution be damned. The Supreme Court even waves the controversy off because it is really just a pissing contest, and not even the SC wants to get pissed on by a tribe that big. It's just not worth the trouble.

Date: December 09, 2017 10:58PM

The courts have already ruled that In God We Trust is constitutional on state seals and money - precedent would dictate they would find it on license plates to be constitutional as well.

However, if you/others want "In Reason We Trust" on your plate, and am willing to pay for it, then I'm willing to support you, knowing of course, that "In Reason We Trust" on a silly license plate won't compel me to become an atheist, either

Date: December 10, 2017 07:20PM

So government-required license plates are silly ? You must be...well, I dunno...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2017 07:21PM by Dave the Atheist.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: December 01, 2017 02:12PM

I’ve looked around at my church parking lot, guess what? I haven’t seen the In God We Trust license plates.

To me, the license plate is viewed by non-Mormon Utahns as a “fuck you gentile” message.

Date: December 01, 2017 02:26PM

The plates cost extra, and most Mormons are too cheap.

They already have the state legislature giving gentiles the finger with the state's liquor laws. Zion Curtain, anyone? (They recently provided several equally onerous alternatives, and un-grandfathered all the establishments that previously didn't have to install a Zion Curtain)

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: December 01, 2017 02:31PM

Jerry, originally they cost more, but, it’s my understanding that they there are now three Free options: IGWT, the skier, or the arch. The other speciality lisence plates include a donation to the sponsoring org. A hearty fuck the Morg to you, Bro!

Date: December 08, 2017 05:43PM

LOL. Oh, and Jerry's my brother.

Date: December 09, 2017 11:01PM

Shouldn't the Utah version declare "In Heavenly Father We Trust" ?

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: December 10, 2017 08:31PM

The Utah one should say Follow the Prophet.

Posted by: 64monkey ( )
Date: December 01, 2017 03:28PM

I don't know who's more despicable the state allowing this plate to be purchased. Or the individual that buys the plate signaling his or her ignorance to the world.

That being said I'm not against the state issuing it because this country affords the right of any of it's citizens to be as blissfully ignorant as they want.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2017 03:29PM by 64monkey.

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: December 01, 2017 11:40PM

I think the worst is the person with the license plate signalling their ignorance.

God, I hate that license plate. In God we trust it says, but God is trusting in your "free will." Seems like a circling the bowl situation.

And "United We Stand" is a total FU.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: December 08, 2017 05:35PM

I actually picked that plate for my latest auto registration...... as a mockery of it. because any one who really knows me, knows that I do NOT trust in god, especially the lower head lord polygamy (RAPE) mandating and all around blindsiding A$$ hole MORmON Jesus, and the only reason that I stand with MORmONISM is to stab it in the back -a tactic that I learned from MORmONISM!!!

Oh, and it did NOT cost extra to get that plate.

The Utah plate that I would like to have would say: "Utah -greatest snow job on earth!" I would pay extra to get that.

Posted by: boilerluv ( )
Date: December 08, 2017 07:37PM

The stupid "In God We Trust" is free in Indiana. Well, not "free", any more than the regular plate is free. You have to pay something for your plate but if you choose the regular one that has trees and a covered bridge, OR the one with a flag and "In God We Trust" you don't pay any extra, like you do for a Purdue plate or an Autism plate (which is the one I have) or the Spay and Neuter plate, etc. etc. etc. All the "special" plates have an extra charge, except the "god" one, which really pisses me off. There is no specialty "atheist" plate available. If there were (which there will never be in Indiana, this being the Alabama of the North and original headquarters of the KKK), but IF there were one, it would NOT be without extra charge--maybe even a double extra charge! LOL! I pay extra for my Autism plate because I have an autistic grandson and I don't mind showing that autism is not something of which to be ashamed or to be hidden. Plus, I like my plate number, which has remained the same for many years. DD 823. Easy to remember, plus it rhymes. :)

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: December 10, 2017 01:25AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2017 01:27AM by steve benson.

Posted by: Old Name Levi ( )
Date: December 10, 2017 07:11PM

IGWT is now one of the three basic plate designs available when you register a car. The other two are the arch & the skiier.

Personally, I'd like to see IGWT and the skiier dumped to bring this one back:
http://www.plateshack.com/76/UT/utsanarrowdie76.jpg

Posted by: gettinreal ( )
Date: December 10, 2017 07:20PM

In MN if you want a special plate you pay extra. As such I don't see tax $$ being used if the same is true in UT.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: December 10, 2017 08:56PM

I wish I were techy enough to post the pic my hubby sent me "NTMRMN". Certainly needed on a Suburban in Gilbert Arizona.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.