Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cutekitty ( )
Date: December 02, 2017 05:39PM

For real. What defines a rich life now days, out of the morg?

What defines a great life now? How does it come about?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bobofitz ( )
Date: December 02, 2017 05:44PM

Good health, love, and lots of money!!

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: December 02, 2017 06:07PM

A big part of finding a richer life outside of Mormonism is the release from the highly judgmental thinking that is encouraged within Mormonism. I no longer judge people, or myself, for their sexual orientation, length of skirt, length of hair, beard, choice of caffeinated beverage, number of children, dedication to church attendance, temple attendance, seminary attendance, amount of genealogical research, food storage, success of indoctrinating children, graduation from church owned college, marriage in temple, etc. Most of these things I didn't judge people on but many times admired them or felt guilty if I didn't meet their same standard of success. Now I feel completely free from these, and many other, superficial yard sticks that only serve to separate people rather than unit them in love and compassion. My heart has change enormously for the better. I now look at the inner beauty of myself and others which makes for a much richer life.

Posted by: janis ( )
Date: December 03, 2017 12:45AM

Well said!

These are all things that my grandkids don't have to deal with. Instead, they can focus on the things in life that really matter.

Family, love, developing their intellect and talents. They don't have to worry about being judged for a mountain of crap that doesn't matter. It's refreshing and I'm a bit sad that my kids didn't get to have that kind of life growing up.

The good thing is that I talk to my kids a lot about this kind of thing as they raise their kids. There's no mormonism in the picture and that's a good thing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2017 12:46AM by janis.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: December 02, 2017 06:40PM

Learn to love and repect yourself, then you can really love and respect others. Nurture good relationships with friends. Do volunteer work in your community.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2017 06:41PM by Aquarius123.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 02, 2017 08:01PM

^^^^ I like this one! ^^^^

"Success" is what you decide it is. Never, NEVER, allow others to define YOUR success.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 02, 2017 07:07PM

I think that you need love in your life and a meaningful way to pass the time, whether it's a career, homemaking, or other pursuits.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: December 02, 2017 07:52PM

1) Automatic 10% pay increase.

2) Having the freedom to be your own person and to live life on your terms.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2017 07:54PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: December 02, 2017 08:08PM

For me it is a 10%+ raise, my own choice of colorful underwear, my WEEKENDS back, my coffee, and the release of so much guilt that my thoughts were going to be shouted from the rooftops in the hereafter. There is a lot more, of course, but those are just the highlights.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: December 02, 2017 08:35PM

Forgiving yourself for falling for the lie.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 02, 2017 08:36PM

living well is the best revenge.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: December 02, 2017 10:00PM

Good food, good wine, good friends , good love, good books,
good conversations, good sense of humor, many interests and
the freedom to explore and learn and for me a good wardrobe and
a good book collection.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: December 02, 2017 10:04PM

.Good health.

.Good children.

.Good friends.

.Good neighbors.

.Good place to live.

.Enough money to live on (modestly--no trips).

.Having constructive things to do.

.A hobby one enjoys. (Mine is reading and writing--although no fiction--and writing essays on different subjects, such as a biography of my husband and myself, on which I am currently working).

. I (already) completed writing a short historical account about the family in which I was raised, with pictures. I made copies of these to give to my family. Currently, I am now working on a biography about my husband and myself.

.I am a community 'activist' (that is, I take part in city government affairs--to the point that some people in town still recognize me when I'm out and about, and ask me my opinion about this and that. (However, not as much now-a-days, as when I was younger---although a good pal of mine just called me today, to get my opinion and advice on recent city government problems, and asked my permission to use my name in support of his/our position.)
BTB, he is a veteran who still suffers from 'agent orange', to the point that (he told me) he now has to use a motorized wheelchair in order to get around--but nonetheless, he still shows up at Council mtgs. every week at City Hall, to "give 'um what for".)' (Also, he is a Catholic, not Mormon.)
----

To me, the above defines a "rich life", and definitely has nothing to do with the TSCC.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 03, 2017 12:10AM

Any combination of things...

Being captain of your own ship (life)
Joy in learning
The ability to appreciate every second of being alive and accepting the uncertain and fleeting nature of life
Appreciating the beauty of the world while accepting the cruelty of the world
A few people who you care for who also care for you
Enough money to feel secure
Knowing you can financially deal with a catastrophic illness (not assured here in USA).
Being true to yourself
Living an authentic life
Pets
Fulfillment from a career
Doing charitable acts that no one knows about
Nature
Wonder

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 03, 2017 12:19AM

Free to do what I want, when I want and with whom I want, guilt free...and being fortunate to be able to afford it....oh and then there is booze....fuck yeah!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2017 01:20PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: helenm ( )
Date: December 03, 2017 01:22AM

Physically - more time for yourself and your significant others; a 10% increase in your money; more sleep

Mentally - broader scope of life outside everything you knew inside the church; freedom from judgement; freedom to form your own opinions & critical thinking

Emotionally - happy; contentment; a feeling of freedom -- you can be less bored and more engaged

Spiritually - secure in the knowledge that God loves you and is ABSOLUTELY crazy about you!!!

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: December 03, 2017 05:08AM

For me it is becoming aware.
Living MY life. regardless.

I AM.
I am not what anybody else thinks I should be.

I am me.

And no matter what, I've got me. I've climbed out of some deep dark holes throughout my life and that has taught me that I can.

I'm not afraid of struggles anymore, because I know I can handle it. I've done it before. I can do it again.

Living life the way I want it. Living authentically.

That's my definition of a rich life.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: December 03, 2017 06:39AM

All of the above! What great responses!

I love my children and grandchildren unconditionally. No, Russell Nelson, unconditional love is NOT "anti-Christ."

What a relief it was, when I realized that the racism my TBM parents and their cult taught me was finally--just, GONE! I felt a lightness in my heart. Like the one poster said, I stopped judging people.

With therapy, I got over my PTSD, caused by childhood abuse, and my 14 months of beatings from my temple ex-husband.

I'm still recovering my self-esteem

I'm enjoying being a single divorced working mother, and I'm no longer ashamed that I had to make my own living and support my children on my own. The truth is, that I succeeded in doing so. (From the Mormons I never asked for welfare, and I got nothing but marginalization and jealousy from them. The 10% raise is greatly appreciated.

I'm free! My family and I are closer than ever! If I had kept on forcing them to go to church, they probably would have rebelled, and it would have caused a wall between us. All my children live within a few blocks from me, and I get to see my grandchildren whenever I want to.

I broke the cycle of abuse! I put an end to the Mormon dysfunction which haunted my family, through the generations, beginning with my first ancestors, who joined their neighbor JS's polygamous cult. It ended with me!

I finally have answers! I know that Mormonism is a hoax cult! What a relief! I don't have to do anything against my own scruples, against my instincts, against what I know is the Truth. I don't have to be bored anymore, or sickened by the temple rituals.

My life doesn't have to be focused on dying and the afterlife, anymore. I can live and breathe. IMO, that leads to good health and vigor.

I have God back! The God of the Universe, who is Love.

Most of all, in this blessed Christmas Season:

I didn't have to go to the Ward Christmas party tonight!!!

Man is that he might have joy! No more Sunday depression!

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: December 03, 2017 07:27AM

What a great thread. Wonderful responses. I need to archive this. Life after Mormonism can be incomprehensible to those still trapped in the bubble. This will be an excellent read for someone thinking of exiting the corporation and what life will be ahead of them.

Date: December 04, 2017 11:37AM

Eric K.

Now do you see why I have lost my mind this past summer?

All these great answers are my therapy. Gives me lots of things to think about, I may not have thought of. I love RfM. Thank you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2017 01:00PM by cutekitty.

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: December 03, 2017 09:06AM

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: December 03, 2017 04:41PM

Hooray for pooped and I unanimously (if one person can do that) agree

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 04, 2017 11:59AM

It's defined however an individual wants to define it.
Unlike the morg, with their "one size fits all" definition of "happiness" and "rich life," in the real world people get to decide for themselves what it is. And it's often different for everyone.

:)

Date: December 06, 2017 09:25AM

A "rich life" for ME, today, would be to: find the money it takes to see our symphony, here, being directed by the Musical genius of John Williams!!! OMG!!! I have to go. I love all his music and really like to see him direct a musical group. OMG!!!

Yes, I am a music nerd, having played trumpet in marching band for 4 years in hi sku.

BTW, FYI, my mom has been gone for 22 years, today, at 6:15am. Slept thru it today. Still seems like yesterday. Nothing like a mom...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2017 09:28AM by cutekitty.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 11, 2017 05:22PM

I am not a musician and am envious of those with such talents but music has been my salvation in the last couple months. I can lose myself in it and get some comfort from it.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: December 06, 2017 10:09AM

The fact that there is no need to define it anymore. There is no standard to hold it up against. You just know when you have it and it's not like anybody else's.

Posted by: a nonny mouse ( )
Date: December 06, 2017 10:15AM

satisfying work, healthy supportive relationships with friends and family, engagement in creative pursuits, travel, connection to causes that are important to you such as animal rescue, mentoring students, literacy, whatever calls to you, a truly great sandwich, a cold beer on a hot day, being enough at peace to take in a sunset or fireworks and let it thrill you, getting to the point where you can let hard stuff and unpleasant people slide off you and not have a f&ck to give.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: December 11, 2017 03:29PM

cutekitty Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>... What defines a rich, great life now... ?

How does it come about?
>

Living it.
Authentically.
As YOU!

Not as a robot or a slave or peon.

It involves getting to know yourself (something strictly forbidden in LDSdumb).

It's fresh air, dogma in the trash and happiness forever.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.