Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jab ( )
Date: December 03, 2017 10:35AM

That's what they say when something goes right. They don't say it when it all goes wrong. No, when it's wrong it's because "YOU'RE wrong" or your Faith faltered and you need to be redirected back to the herd.

My parents said it the most when it got them out of their obligations of being parents, present, or paying for anything. Oh what a Blessing. I think maybe I was the only one that noticed that their Blessings had the habit of putting the responsibility on other people. The irony being that every Blessing for them almost always meant pain for someone else.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ragnar ( )
Date: December 03, 2017 11:24AM

I find the phrase "Thank God!" to be particularly offensive.

When one person survives an incident in which several other people died, invariably someone will say "Thank God" that one person survived.

This supposes that God has the power to alter physics or reality to rescue one person. If this is true, then God also had the power to prevent the incident from occurring in the first place, but apparently chose not to.

They never say "Thank God" for causing (or not preventing) the incident itself.

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: December 03, 2017 11:31AM

Yes this!

I can completely freak out when a survivor of a terror attack will beam to the press: "God protected me..."
Or: The lord was sure looking out for my boy. We had just prayed for him at breakfast that day.. God sure did listen... ..

I'm a pretty decent girl, but I will blow up and swear like you ain't never heard a Dutch girl swear nor ever will again afterwards whenever I hear shite like that..

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: December 04, 2017 10:36AM

You go! I'm with you. That kind of arrogance makes me furious. It just translates to "God likes me better than you or your loved one who died."

Posted by: overit ( )
Date: December 03, 2017 01:00PM

I feel really uncomfortable when there is a disaster and they report about mormons they don't know who died (gone on to do the lord's work on the other side) or survived because god was protecting them.My family and their friends make comments about them and try to turn it into a faith promoting story, which really irks me

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 03, 2017 01:19PM

I use the "B" word myself. My blessings don't come from some old fucker on Kolob....they come from people I love and that love and care about me.

Posted by: Lilac ( )
Date: December 04, 2017 12:00PM

This is exactly how I feel. It's the people in my life, my family, friends, co-workers, and strangers. The least we can do is give credit where credit is due. When a person gives credit to an imaginary being that really belittles it, and makes that person seem ironically ungrateful. I appreciate your insight, it's wonderful!

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: December 03, 2017 10:28PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.