Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: December 05, 2017 06:53AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 05, 2017 07:42AM

Right you are, Soft Machine.

Date: December 05, 2017 03:50PM

Is it just me?

And do many others just write this off as an unusual religious practice?

Also, doesn't anyone else realize that mormon splinter groups are mormon? It's similar to Orthodox Jews and their strange practices still being Jewish? Or are mormons, inactives, and nonmos who know mormons brainwashed into thinking mormon splinter groups aren't mormon?

Posted by: Jane Cannary ( )
Date: December 05, 2017 03:57PM

Everytime I see an article about the fundamentalists, I always post something about them living the church the way JS and BY lived it. And it never fails I get a whole bunch of thumbs down if it's on an Idaho or Utah media website.

Date: December 05, 2017 04:01PM

Some people think it has nothing to do with them. But they are wrong. They could help these kids by speaking up more honestly if they weren't in such a state of denial.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: January 13, 2018 05:32PM

And John Taylor and Lorenzo Snow and Wilford Woodruff and...

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: December 05, 2017 05:22PM

It seems to never end.

Posted by: relievedtolearn ( )
Date: December 05, 2017 06:49PM

The (few) Mormons I know claim that these people aren't real mormons. Only the mormons who recognize the authority of the Salt Lake City 15 are real mormons. =(

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: December 06, 2017 12:40AM

relievedtolearn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The (few) Mormons I know claim that these people
> aren't real mormons. Only the mormons who
> recognize the authority of the Salt Lake City 15
> are real mormons. =(

They're not, for the most part, practicing members of the SLC-headquartered branch of the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (except for those who practice polygamy on the sly, s in Cheryl's book, but attempt to hold membership in the mainstream LDS church simultaneously), but they ARE practicing the religion as the early members of the LDS church practiced it. To say they're not "real" Mormons is a bit misleading. Perhaps they're the "real" Mormons and the sLC branch are the impostors. Regardless, the roots of their practices are found in the history of the modern LDS church.

Modern Mormons love to deny any connection, but history connects the groups.

Date: December 06, 2017 09:07AM

I'm glad it didn't just go dormant.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: December 08, 2017 12:48AM

Cheryl Wrote:
> I'm glad it didn't just go dormant.

My Wife sat up half the night reading it because she couldn't stop.

It was a compelling and well-written story. how much of the plot itself was inspired by events of your childhood?

Posted by: anonuk ( )
Date: January 12, 2018 05:58PM

I've hardly gotten past the first half dozen chapters - I can tell you were not allowed feelings or thoughts unless your mother gave prior permission, which I am guessing was very rare. My mother was the same and this has led to me not recognising glaringly obvious symptoms of ill-health because as a child I was never ill unless mother said so (even when I was obviously unwell).

I will return to your book cheryl, and give my 'opinion/report' when done. I can feel your childhood frustration already so early on in the story and I can feel the pain in store. It's comforting to know that my mother is not completely mental of her own accord, but that the church helped make her - and your mother too - the way she is. It's not us, it's them.

Date: January 12, 2018 06:36PM

Posted by: nevermojohn ( )
Date: December 05, 2017 06:50PM

I find the behavior of the judge bizarre in this case. He didn't think the father posed a danger to these children despite the father telling all his siblings that 12 year old girls are old enough to be married. That was his plan for his daughters. The father believed that they were developed enough at 12 years old. Somehow this didn't alarm the judge?

The people under arrest aren't the only dangers that these kids are facing unfortunately.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: December 06, 2017 04:04AM

Yes, I found that surprising too.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 06, 2017 12:29AM

"although Utah, a state that is home to a large Mormon community, does not prosecute polygamists who are law-abiding. " ...

Huh ?

I thought polygamy was illegal.
How could polygamists be law abiding ?

FAKE NEWS !

Posted by: Anon this time ( )
Date: December 06, 2017 09:29AM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
> "although Utah, a state that is home to a large
> Mormon community, does not prosecute polygamists
> who are law-abiding. " ...
>
> Huh ?
>
> I thought polygamy was illegal.
> How could polygamists be law abiding ?
>
>
> FAKE NEWS !

The same way illegal aliens are law abiding?

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: December 07, 2017 11:36PM

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: December 06, 2017 01:10AM

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46211547&nid=1417&title=officials-utah-doomsday-sect-member-hid-girls-in-plastic-barrels-charged-with-child-kidnapping

"A man believed to be a leader of an Iron County doomsday sect hid two young girls outdoors in two plastic, 50-gallon barrels and put another two in an abandoned motor home for roughly 24 hours before police found the children in zero-degree weather, the sheriff's office reported Tuesday."

Posted by: screwed ( )
Date: December 06, 2017 09:22AM

Pedophile. Narcissist. Psychopath.

Wants to screw little girls, will trade the lives of his daughters for other psychopaths' daughters.

Willing to risk their health and lives to make the children ready and available for trade.

Traffics in slavery.

Flies under the flag of religion.

Utah judge is okay with all of this.

The Utah judge is guilty of dereliction of duty as a "reasonable person," and much more so as in a position of an authority of law enforcement. Any reasonable person would have seen the danger to the children. Most laymen would know that "Fundamentalist Mormon" is a euphemism for "pedophile," and a judge is obligated to know that.

Posted by: ANON 3 ( )
Date: December 07, 2017 02:40PM

In Massachusetts you can get married at the age of 12 with parental consent. Utah is 14.
All states you have to be 18 to marry without parental consent. We need to make the federal law of 18 the base age.

Date: December 07, 2017 06:24PM

No 12 year old should marry, not ever.

The trouble with parent consent is that some parents don't give consent, but issue orders and back them up with threats and beatings.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: December 07, 2017 11:40PM

When we were 13 or 14, my best friend and I thought that "getting married" was just about the most wonderful thing that could happen.

It would mean that someone wonderful loved you.

It would mean no more school.

It would mean getting away from parents.

When we actually were young married women, we used to recall our girlhood dreams and just shake our heads at our own innocence.

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: December 07, 2017 07:13PM

BTW Cheryl, I read your book and thoroughly enjoyed it. I especially loved the dialogue and your imagery. Thank you for sharing it with us :)

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 13, 2018 01:26AM

Those poor little girls. I'm glad that they were found, but they will need a lot of supports. Those men are despicable.

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: January 14, 2018 02:25PM

No 14 year old should be married either....ever...whoever thought that law made sense should be clubbed into delirium with a stalk of celery...just cuz you made it through law school...or suck holed your way into politics doesn't make you really bright...it seems...these fundamentalist retards sure come up with fancy names for their horse $&@&...knights...my gawd...still playing games with other peoples lives...perhaps they have a grand wizard too

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.