Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Justin ( )
Date: December 05, 2017 03:25PM

Instead of the temple recommend interview, what would happen if members determined their own worthiness? What if the member simply had to request a recommend to enter the temple and the only question was, "Do you believe you are worthy to enter the temple?" Would church activity increase? Would families be happier? I actually believe the LDS Church would benefit by letting members take the responsibility themselves of determining their own worthiness.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: December 05, 2017 03:34PM

..."letting members take the responsibility themselves" is the antithesis of what cults do.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: December 05, 2017 03:38PM

The church would lose its power. Very bad for a church that must control every aspect of members' lives.

Posted by: Justin ( )
Date: December 05, 2017 03:42PM

I think more likely it would lose money which is more important to the LDS Church than power.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: December 05, 2017 03:45PM

Im not someone who believes whole heartedly in revelativism.

What if we applied the same idea to the justice system?
What if those on trial for whatever crime were allowed to decide if they were innocent or guilty.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2017 03:46PM by angela.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 05, 2017 05:03PM

angela Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What if those on trial for whatever crime were
> allowed to decide if they were innocent or guilty.

Yeah, but that's something that matters...:)

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: December 05, 2017 04:03PM

Whoa, whoa, whoa!

That's crazy talk.

If members were to determine their own worthiness, they may get the crazy idea that they were more worthy of their own tithing than the church.

I mean, what else are they paying the church for if not for the privilege of being judged by the church.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: December 05, 2017 05:05PM

"...letting members take the responsibility themselves of determining their own worthiness."

No way, they would never do that. Now if members started getting "revelation" directly from god regarding their worthiness, that might change things a bit ;)

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 05, 2017 05:26PM

Isn't there an element of truth in my perception that many members DO determine their own worthiness by "...he be lying his ass off!..."

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: December 05, 2017 05:58PM

Why worthiness in the first place?

I've never heard of anyone being denied attendance at any church
meeting due to "worthiness" problems except in Mormonism. What
other Church has someone at the door checking documents to make
sure the people attending have been declared "worthy"?

And Mormons say they're not a cult.

Posted by: Michael Curry ( )
Date: December 05, 2017 06:04PM

Then they would be Episcopalians.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: December 05, 2017 06:18PM

In a way, members determine their own worthiness already. They can lie through most of the temple recommend questions if they want. The only question that they can't lie about is the one about tithing. The church knows what you pay or don't pay. It's the most important question of them all.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 05, 2017 06:30PM

Correct me as needed:

There is a church tithing program which allows a member to pay his/her tithing directly to SLC. I understand the program was so that local ward members do not know how much a member is paying in tithing. This program was put into place so that really rich people wouldn't be exposing their 'worth' to the ward clerk, finance clerks and even bishops, etc.

I don't know if SLC tells the bishop at the end of the year how much was paid on each account, but unless it's a ridiculously small sum, the bishop would have to take the member's word for it that he or she was a full tithe payer.

The church does seem to bend over backwards to help it's members with good incomes.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: December 05, 2017 06:52PM

Yes, you're right. I forgot that things have changed in recent years. So I guess Mormons can lie about the tithing question as well now.

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: December 05, 2017 07:23PM

Welp...you'd still have the narcs who've never stonked up a bathroom...they think...still running the show...and the faceless humble masses still self flagella ting just from habit...poor self esteem is chronic...as is arrogance...nothing changes...humility is a funny thing...those that could use some can't spell it...those with too much are there to entertain the rest at fast and testiphony

Posted by: relievedtolearn ( )
Date: December 06, 2017 11:32AM

I'll bet that if they could determine their own worthiness, even fewer of them would be deemed worthy. Thing with the interviews is that you have a list of questions with right answers, kind of like a math test----in my experience, most people feel unworthy, and my experience with mormons is that they are beaten down with falling short all the time, so that feeling unworthy is almost a mark you can see in them. Which is heartbreaking.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: December 06, 2017 01:03PM

That's the way it's supposed to be.
It's perverted, corrupted, evil, blatantly UN-Christ-like the way it is [unnecessary and creepy interviews and moral torture sessions].

They figure they can squeeze more salt out of the lemons this (backwards) way. Plus, members would be exceedingly unencumbered and delighted by experiencing more 'whole family' time and inner and outer peace.

Kindness may return to TMC (it may have been designed without it). It may not. INEQUALITY is one of its big stumbling blocks. Where Fairness, and Simplicity, would kill the block-HEAD leaders' [egos] - it may save it some [ugly] face even - it would allow it to save ASS, and it has a painfully big ass, as one could imagine, guess or plainly see.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.