Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: December 06, 2017 12:48PM

Utah's governor, Gary Herbert just lashed out at Steve Bannon and called him a "Mormon Bigot". Never mind the fact that Bannon is not LDS. He could be bigoted against mormons, but he's not a "mormon bigot". But, our Governor is a mormon knucklehead.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900005228/utah-governor-calls-steve-bannon-a-mormon-bigot.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Jimbo ( )
Date: December 06, 2017 12:53PM

Odd that Bannon called out Willard Mitt and his family for lack of military service when his hero Trump and his boys have not one second of military service. Bannon is nothing more than a loud mouthed white supremacist asshole .

Date: December 06, 2017 01:05PM

"Bannon is nothing more than a loud mouthed white supremacist asshole ."

Agreed. Doesn't bode well for our country when he has his platform and is closely connected to powerful government leaders.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: December 06, 2017 03:08PM

Then there is Obama flying around to Asian countries pretending to matter.

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: December 06, 2017 04:37PM

Yeah, whatabout Obama? He's a former, two-term President and he's doing something, and Phazer holds him in contempt.

What's that got to do with Bannon, you ask? Nothing.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: December 06, 2017 05:51PM

"What's that got to do with Bannon, you ask? Nothing."

Correct...nothing, but it ain't all Rainbows and unicorns for Obama either, which I guess is the previous poster's point.

Many people fail to realize the TIME it takes to see fully what happens when our leaders, in this case Obama and Hillary, make rash decisions to get involved in another country's politics/regime change...in this case Libya and the now, new Salve auctions they have there..

I wondered...OUT LOUD why we were involved in Libya as is was none of our business, and was concerned about the long-term consequences. I didn't think, the whole slave thing would happen, but new nothing good would come from our Libya follies..

And yes...what Trump did re: Israel, bodes not well either...
In Obama's defense, he seemed take all things prior to making decisions. Trump clearly does not.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: December 07, 2017 03:47AM

Hey, don't be too hard on yourselves. The Libya screwup belongs to France and the UK too.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: December 07, 2017 04:19AM

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2052143,2052143#msg-2052143

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2017 04:24AM by steve benson.

Posted by: Curelom Joe ( )
Date: December 06, 2017 07:17PM

You aren't aware, I take it, that 3 of the 10 most-retweeted tweets in 2017, in the world, have been by Barack Obama. And no, Trump didn't even come close to cracking that list.

One that he posted last August after the Charlottesville riots broke a record to become Twitter's most-retweeted post. Ever.

He is welcomed almost everywhere that people want to see and listen to an intelligent former American president with wide knowledge and a warm, easy, self-deprecating sense of humor. God knows (since this has become a political thread although they aren't supposed to exist here at RfM), the world isn't getting that vibe from the incumbent.

Date: December 06, 2017 10:41PM

This issue really done not have much to do with Democrats but the battle within the GOP for power. This has to with the vulgar propagandist Bannon is . This is about the alleged party of family values having a crochgrabbing president and a pervert running for Senate in Alabama. It really has not a thing to do with Obama.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: December 06, 2017 05:45PM

The interview I saw of Bannon, he didn't say anything that sounded white supremacist to me. He is an America-First dude, like Trump, and like many others. He does want what is best for America...and for all Americans, IMO.

Is he a loud-mouthed oaf? Yes....but just because he is an America-First dude, doesn't make him a white supremacist...2 different things..imo

Date: December 07, 2017 05:27PM

Trump seems,more like Trump is the first dude and not the USA . He seems to,admire autocrats which is what he wants to be . He,through his lawyer,says a Presidnt can't be charged with obstruction of justice . Sometimes we need to talk with dictators but I don't think we need admire them like Trump does,with the dictators of Turkey, Phillipines being big Donald favorites .Not a Trump or Bannon fan as you probably can tell

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: December 06, 2017 01:09PM

I agree with Jimbo--Bannon is just a louse. Just because someone is taking an LDS related jab doesn't always mean that it is a good one. Trump took legal (albeit dubious, bone spurs, deferments) Romney did the same. As for Romney's kids. Mr. Bush didn't have the guts to draft anyone--nobody should have felt obligated to have the guts to die (although some did--bravely).

This incident reminds me of when Mike Huckabee got all lathered up about LDS doctrine being that Jesus and Satan are brothers. This was technically true, and the Morg did multiplied the blundering by denying it. But the unspoken implication Huckabee left out there was not true (i.e. Mormons think Jesus and our friend Stan are on the same team).

Herbert's "Mormon Bigot" phraseology better applies to the Quorum of the 12, who think that Mormons are pretty damn superior.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: December 06, 2017 01:18PM

Agree totally and I am no fan of Mitt. However, he is a thousand times better than Bannon and Bannon's hypocrisy regarding Trump's lack of service is mind-boggling.Bannon needs to STFU.

Date: December 06, 2017 02:50PM

No military service is a valid argument against candidate Trump.

Now he is President and Commander-in-Chief.

During a rally, why would Bannon bring up Trump's lack of service prior to being President... it wouldn't help his argument but it's null and void since Trump is in charge of the military.

Date: December 06, 2017 03:01PM

" it wouldn't help his argument but it's null and void since Trump is in charge of the military."

That may be technically true. But he sure doesn't have the respect of military officers and National Security personnel. Worst Commander in Chief-ever.

Date: December 06, 2017 03:06PM

I would say some there is a mixture of military officers and National Security personnel that don't like him [tough doodoo] and others that have complete full commitment and respect. It's been that way for many Presidents in the last 50 years.

Date: December 06, 2017 04:41PM

I've absolutely never heard before the argument that the POTUS, holding the status of Commander-in-Chief as the POTUS, means he's currently "serving in the military." It's a specious argument.

I guess Governor Herbert is currently serving in the Utah National Guard too.

Made-up argument.

Date: December 06, 2017 09:37PM

11 months in and the GDP is at 3.3% Amazing. Stocks are higher than they've ever been.

POTUS doing more than many of us have ever done in our lives and all for free. (paycheck donated)

Unlike some other Presidents, Trump seems to respect the military. He only has top level Marines in high positions of his administration to get things done.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: December 07, 2017 03:51AM

As you pointed out earlier, Phazer, it takes several years for the full effects of most policies to be felt (as with the Libyan fiasco). So what you're seeing in the American economy is not (yet) the effects of Trump's policies, but the effects of Obama's... according to your own "logic".

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: December 06, 2017 02:22PM

Bannon is an asswipe.

Date: December 06, 2017 03:03PM

That's an insult to asswipes.

Date: December 06, 2017 04:43PM

Don't pick on Bannon.

If it weren't for Trump supporters, there'd be no Bannon. The blame rests squarely with the people, nowhere else.

Date: December 06, 2017 07:07PM

THIS x 1000.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 06, 2017 04:54PM

It's just your average political mudslinging.

However the point may be fair. Do Mormons fulfill military service at similar rates to other religious groups? Or does the culturally mandated mission tend to put a damper on those numbers? I think it's a fair topic for wider discussion within our culture.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2017 05:00PM by summer.

Posted by: Serge ( )
Date: December 06, 2017 05:07PM

I read somewhere that the title, "Commander-in-Chief", is only applicable during times of war. Since our country has not officially declared war since WWII, we should not think the POTUS as a commander of anything. As to percentage of Church members serving in the military compared to other groups, I don't think that is relevant to the issue raised by blow hole Bannon.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 06, 2017 05:34PM

I think it's a relevant issue whether or not Bannon raised it. Most nevermos probably have no idea that culturally mandated Mormon missions come at a prime age for military recruitment.

Date: December 06, 2017 07:38PM

On the other hand, military service is just about the only "acceptable" reason for not serving a mission for the TSCC. Most recent example, the high school senior I know who has enlisted in the Marine Corps, going to boot camp next summer, rather than serve an "honorable mission" somewhere like his older siblings did.

That fact has probably driven some quantity of Mormon into the armed forces over the years.

Date: December 06, 2017 09:39PM

Gosh, how long have we been fighting in the desert 15 years of so. Nah, that's not a war of course. In war you have casualties. OH wait, we have a lot of those. I guess we are at war.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 06, 2017 09:27PM

I don't think that slamming Obama is appropriate or appreciated here.

I'm afraid this thread is too political, it should be taken down,

Posted by: Weighing In ( )
Date: December 07, 2017 10:41AM

Funny how suddenly it’s too political when it’s a lib. You’ve torn a very good conservative a new one for two years without any problem.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.