Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: December 06, 2017 11:31PM

Apparently in Alabama a church is coming under fire for comparing Roy Moore to Jesus (They falsely accused Jesus- Vote for Roy Moore).

Personally I don't see the problem with the comparison. People get compared to Jesus all the time (Be Christlike, WWJD, etc.). Here is the scary part: here we have an official religious entity EXPLICITLY ENDORSING A POLITICAL CANDIDATE!!!! The issue has been laid bare. The religious right doesn't give two hoots in hell about following the rules. They are special. They have a special dispensation from God to do whatever the hell they want.

It's only a matter of time before this sort of behavior becomes rampant.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 07, 2017 12:42AM

There is no separation of church and state here (AL) in reality. Even down to the lowest city office, they have to make a big deal about being Christian. Roy has been going around speaking AL churches campaigning for a long time.

Public schools frequently are in the news for holding prayers or Christian meetings. A few brave parents who don't like their kids having to put up with that crap complain but a butt-load of Christians jump in to defend it. There are frequent and ongoing attempts to put Bible teachings in public schools.

These are the folks who would be pissed as heck if any other religion did that.

It's more blatant than the Utah theocracy.

When people have in their minds that God's law trumps other laws, they somehow think THEY are the ones who have the correct interpretation of everything God wants.

You would NOT believe the nonstop TV commercials for both Moore and Doug Jones. A LOT of money is being spent from outside the state. This is just making Alabamians more stubborn. The democrat Doug Jones' TV commercial has him talking about how he is a Christian and God directs him, and how he is a hunter who likes guns. He's trying to portray himself as a good Christian since that what it takes around here.

Honestly, you can't make this sh!t up.

Posted by: Mannaz ( )
Date: December 07, 2017 01:09AM

Ah, hello from another here in AL. And no, you can’t make the shit that goes on here. I mean, you have to be impeached twice and diddle girls a few months shy of 15 to run for senate here. Where else have I heard of such scurrilous behavior? If only Nick Sabain would endorse Doug Jones. That might do it. I mean it is God, guns, and football here - just not in that order. Alas I rant rhe words of a stranger in a strange land. Not just a Yankee, but a damn yankee as I am a californicator. And that is often how I introduce myself to lighten the mood when meeting regular AL folk.

Date: December 07, 2017 01:18AM

Hahahah.

I'm originally from CA too.

You'll be happy to know my neighbor named her dog Sabin. All the time, it's "Saban? Sabin! No, Sabin. Get in here, Sabin. You're a bad dawg, Saban." (Add Southern accent.)

The Iron bowl made for an awkward work week - like some kind of civil war going on.

I honestly think they have wedded the concepts of Football, Jesus and Guns into a cult or something. ;-)

Date: December 07, 2017 01:47AM

Love the dog name. We just got and I toyed with naming him ‘Satan’ just so I could go around the neighborhood saying “here Satan, come Satan, oh such a good boy Satan. But alas, DW and the kids would not go for it. Which Stake are you in? I am in the one that includes the Tuscaloosa area.

Date: December 07, 2017 10:34AM

I'm in BHM. No clue which stake. Isn't that great? I have no idea what LDS ward I'm in!

I do know I am in the Bible ward, and I mean the lockdown wing.

Date: December 07, 2017 12:23PM

Bible ward? Not sure what that means.

Unfortunately I do know what ward boundaries I live in. Basically good folk. I am in the Bessemer Stake that has the West side of Birmingham. Perhaps I just 'doxed' myself.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 07, 2017 01:56PM

Translation: Bible ward == mental ward of Bible Thumpers, not an LDS ward.

Date: December 07, 2017 01:58PM

Bingo, Brother of Jerry. Exactly what I meant. Thanks!

Date: December 07, 2017 04:39PM

I feel like I now have 'greater light and knowledge' to converse with the Reddit. :). Gad I must be getting old.

Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: December 07, 2017 10:37AM

slskipper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Apparently in Alabama a church is coming under
> fire for comparing Roy Moore to Jesus (They
> falsely accused Jesus- Vote for Roy Moore).

So... they want the ruling authorities to crucify the guy? I'm confused by the analogy. :-)

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: December 07, 2017 12:55PM

Lockdown wing.... hahhahahahahahahahahahhaha . Good one Dagny. That made my morning.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.