Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: October 25, 2010 02:14PM

Here are clips of a discussion I had with a young U grad who is a faithful practicing Mo. It interests me because this fellow is probably at the stage I was at about a few years before becoming disgusted with it all.
---
Quote:

I believe that there are certain things which science, at this stage, is utterly unable to prove or disprove, conclusively. like the existence of God. like the true source of the book of mormon. as a result, we have to make a decision. we are going to pick and choose which evidence/facts/theories/hypotheses we think are most important...
I can find mounds of evidence that seem to conclusively prove AND disprove the middle eastern origin of the book of mormon. so i can sit there, if i want to make things easier, ignore the fact that the studies are more often than not conducted by people with an agenda either way, people who want to see a certain conclusion reached and are perfectly willing to fudge or interpret findings to support their conclusions...I know because i've seen people do it and i've done it myself. you can't lean on dudes in labcoats or suits and ties to make your decisions for you through their words and their actions.
The line between science and religion is a lot thinner than most people realize. and in my mind, that thin line is actually invented by man. science and religion are one and the same, provided we're talking about true science and true religion. God is science and religion equally, and a belief in him founded on absolute truth is neither science nor religion, it's just truth.
faith is required because knowledge removes agency. i'm sure by now you can see that there is a major difference between scientific knowledge of observable phenomena and scientific knowledge of God. ... when people in the church say they "know God exists," what they really mean is "i feel God, i believe wholeheartedly that he exists, i've seen things in my life that testify to me of his existence,"...people say "i want a sign," "show me evidence and i'll believe." really? do you really want the responsibility that comes with that? i sure don't. i'm not ready for that. do you want that?

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.