Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: iceman9090 ( )
Date: December 27, 2017 01:13PM

Hello people,
1st, I'll ask my question:
Do exmormons become christian, budhist, atheist, deist....?

I read some of the emails on this site. It looks like mostly, the women turn into some form of christian.
One guy said he is an atheist. The other guys don't indicate their new belief.

Are there some statistics somewhere? My guess is that most float around a bit and then join one of the USA christian local churches.

2. About me:
I have never been a mormon. I used to be a christian and at some point I had to drop it because of the problems I noticed with it. I am an atheist, in other words, non-belief in any magical and god claims.
Although, I am more of a science guy, I do enjoy history, mathematics, art. For the past 5 years, I became fascinated by religion and how it works.
I talk to a lot of people on youtube. I find the USA fascinating and scary. I'm from Canada. Apparently, atheists are treated as scum. The polls over there show that people prefer a muslim instead of a atheist. I have seen billboards saying "atheists are traitor", "Satan is real", "the end of the world is coming", Ken Ham and his ark thing in Kentucky, court case after court case trying to put religion into biology classes.

I studied up on mormonism. I can't believe that I knew nothing about it. I was a kid in Canada in the 1980s. I remember the ads that said "Order your bible today. This is another testament of Jesus Christ. From the Latter Day Saints.". Their book had the word Bible on it in gold color and the book looked like black leather.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: December 27, 2017 02:46PM

Topping.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 27, 2017 02:54PM

Ex-mormons don't necessarily "become" anything.
They can. Some do. Some don't.

Unlike in mormonism, there aren't any rules.

This ex-mormon (me), upon learning that many of the mormon church's truth claims were false, decided to see if any church's truth claims could be shown true with verifiable evidence.

It turns out that none can.

So I gave up "believing" altogether. And instead decide things by evidence. Far more reliable and useful that "believing."

Others went a different way -- what worked for them.

My admittedly incomplete personal observations would indicate that most ex-mormons are "irreligious." A combination of apathy, agnosticism, atheism. A minority join another church.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: December 27, 2017 03:01PM

I would guess most are just tired of the religion thing i know i am.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: December 27, 2017 03:10PM

I agree that a minority find another church, especially those who are born into the church. I think there are plenty of exmormon atheist women--my daughter, me, others.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: December 27, 2017 03:14PM

After I left I looked around and everything else just seemed like it would be switching from Coke to Pepsi. Maybe it was little sweeter but it was still all sugar. Then I couldn't think of a good reason to believe in anything other than myself. I didn't want any more soda pop at all.

I would guess only a minority join another church and stay active as Hie said. I would guess most just are done and don't need a reason why. That seems nice place to be.

Posted by: hollers ( )
Date: December 27, 2017 03:25PM

Don't believe the loudest extremism and their ilk, which garner the most sensationalism. I live in the land of *the ark,* most are some stripe of Christian, and most are both curious, yet afraid of my being an athest. Only zealot door-knockers have ever tried to convert me, and I suspect that most are more tolerant and less extreme than their politicians and religious shouters would lead them and the press to believe.

If you were a heavy lurker, you would see the occasional complaint that this board is dominated by atheists. 'Tis the season, and tolerance / non-dominance (perceived bullying) was a recent kerfuffle, so I think most on all sides have burned out a little on the spats.

And yes, Mormonism markets itself as another "Christianity," and though "mainstream" Christianity varies greatly from sect to sect, person to person, Mormons do not follow its primary tenet, the Nicene Creed.

To answer your question, exmormons become free. To be of any or no faith.

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: December 27, 2017 03:26PM

Most of us become None of the above, due to our disappointment in the groups we have joined in the past.
Not a joiner, but I am a Dudeist Priest.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: December 27, 2017 03:48PM

I'm a woman. I've been Catholic, Anglican, Baptist and then 30 years as a Mormon.

When I exited the Mormon Church, I walked away from religion entirely. It has been a very gradual process, due to much study and reflection, where I've become what I call a "hopeful skeptic."

Do I believe in God? No, I don't. That makes me an atheist.

Does God exist? I've no idea. No one truly knows the answer to that question. I guess you could call me an agnostic-atheist, but I don't put such a label on myself.

I'm most comfortable with hopeful skeptic.

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: December 27, 2017 03:56PM

Trying to decide whether I am agnostic, atheist or anti-theist. We certainly cannot prove that God(s) exist, and cannot disprove the existence either.

I am also becoming a believer that religion overall is evil. Defenders of religion like to point out the good that it does, and I will concede there are some good things. But there is so much evil done in the world in the name of religion, or in order to protect religion. Most of the good that people cite can and is done with better efficiency by secular organizations.

Honestly I am at the point where I believe that if there is some sort of supreme being, our view of he/she/it is completely wrong. At most any supreme being, if existing, is as concerned and involved with us as we are to a small ant hill 500 feet to the side of the highway as we drive past at 70mph.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2017 03:58PM by alsd.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: December 27, 2017 04:06PM

I've remained a Christian in my post-Mormon life.

I also worship as a Jew at a local synagogue, because it suits me and I'm Jewish by birth so I didn't need to convert.

That makes me a believer in deity and the God of the bible.

Leaving Mormonism hasn't diminished my faith. My life has been a faith journey in progress. Leaving Moism has caused me to grow spiritually. I don't believe anyone stays the same in life.

We either grow and develop mentally, spiritually, physically, etc. Or we stagnate. I chose to keep trying to develop my spirituality because I have what I consider a relationship with my Creator.

I've been a recipient of some divine intervention at least several times in my life that I'm aware of; so for me it isn't a question of faith (as in belief.) It is tangential and real to me that there's a Creator who loves and cares for us.

Posted by: afraid of mormons ( )
Date: December 27, 2017 04:10PM

My Mormon parents raised me on The Bible. They read to me all of the bible stories, and over the course of my Mormon life, I read the Bible, on my own, several times. I memorized The Lord's Prayer, The 23rd Psalm, and several other Psalms, The 10 Commandments, and many other bible verses. I don't belong to any organized religion, because I'm skeptical of people trying to con me out of my money. Still--I believe in the TEACHINGS of Christ and The Bible, so I live what could be defined as a righteous and moral life. So do my children, perhaps by example, or perhaps by observing how rebellion and hatred and disobeying the laws of the land can damage your life.

The Mormon religion had its own Joseph Smith translation of The Bible, but it didn't sell well, so they used the King James version for a while. Now, they almost exclusively use The Book of Mormon. The BOM has passages in it that were plagiarized from the Bible, by Joseph Smith. That is the only similarity with Christianity.

Unlike Christianity, the Mormons regard the BOM and the Doctrine and Covenants (some of this book is nasty, and discriminates against women, and preaches polygamy) to be more RECENT revelations. Also, any "revelations" from today's Mormon prophets are to override earlier revelations recorded in The Bible, the BOM, the D&C and other scriptures.

I left Mormonism still believing in Christ and The Bible. I never could buy into the Joseph Smith made-up stuff, or the temple mumbo-jumbo, or the Mormon version of the hereafter. I hated the history of polygamy, and after reading the accounts in my ancestors' diaries, hated the lies about Mormon history.

My children are Lutheran, non-denominational Christian. I'm a Bible Christian, who is phobic about going to church. The mormons were very abusive to me and my children, and I'm afraid of Mormons, or any fanatics who remind me of Mormons.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 28, 2017 10:40AM

So you live a "righteous and moral life" unlike those evil Atheists ?

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: December 28, 2017 10:34PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So you live a "righteous and moral life" unlike
> those evil Atheists ?

That comment is a bit unfair. "Afraid of Mormons" didn't imply in any way that anyone else, atheist or otherwise, lives a life that isn't righteous and moral.

I don't know if I would call myself a Christian, but I try to some degree to follow what I believe are the teachings of Jesus. I don't know if my belief system will stay that way or if it will morph over time. I have no issue with anyone else's beliefs as long as the person's beliefs don't in any way impact me and the person isn't overly evangelical. It is possible for an atheist to be every bit as overbearing as is the typical Mormon when it comes to pushiness and the attitude that every person with as much as half a brain should hold the same beliefs as he or she does.

Posted by: afraid of mormons ( )
Date: December 30, 2017 03:18PM

"Righteous" by my own definition, by obeying the laws of the land, being thoughtful of others, my career helps others, I'm honest in my business dealings, I'm genuine, etc. It's an on-going process, and I'm always trying. I am still self-serving, because life goes more smoothly when I'm well-behaved and positive, that's all. One never "arrives" at a state of righteousness.

BTW, some of the finest people I know are Atheists.

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: December 27, 2017 04:49PM

Based on EXmos I personally know all 4 believe in God but only myself did not join another Christian 'religion'.

Of another 3 I have met in the area they are all still 'Christians'.

So, all 7 still believe in some type of God with 6 joining another Christian religion.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: December 27, 2017 04:53PM

My dog tags have read "no religious preference" since the late 80s. No organized religion holds any appeal for me.

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: December 28, 2017 10:05AM

My dog tags have always read "APOS", which, of course, identifies me as an Apostle. I see it as a title that transcends any terrestrial religion.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: December 27, 2017 05:22PM

I know four ex Mos. One is an atheist. Two are Catholic deacons and one is the retired Episcopal bishop of Utah.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: December 27, 2017 05:41PM

Many people find it comforting to hold onto "Jesus" or some form of Christianity. Then they see some of the same problems in the new church and start applying the same critical thinking to the teachings and there develops another "shelf"

The shelf is the place you put facts in evidence as opposed to beliefs you are being taught.

In my case, the same critical thinking that freed me from the grasp of patriarchal Mormons also freed me from patriarchal Christianity.

Now, after 30 years, I have no anger left because to me Mormons are just first in a line of thieves using religion to line their own pockets. Also, I recognize that there are many sincere churches who work tirelessly to help the needy--and I enjoy working beside them.

I now realize that half the people in any church don't believe the "pure" gospel they are being taught. They are there for other reasons. That used to make me judge them, but not any more. To each their own. However, I would never again be part of a church's politics, leadership, etc.

Mormonism drains you- it's twice the work for diminishing fun compared with any other church you can name.

Kathleen

Date: December 27, 2017 06:24PM

Anagrammy wrote, " . . .the same critical thinking that freed me from the grasp of patriarchal Mormons also freed me from patriarchal Christianity."

You made me wonder if more women en masse rejected the patriarchal grip of religion, all religion, if it wouldn't accelerate the move toward more equality for women? For everyone? Is religion the "fossil fuel" of patriarchy?

We can rail against the misogyny in the country all we want, but if women go to worship patriarchy on Sunday, aren't they shooting themseles in the foot? Or would that be in the stilettos?

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: January 02, 2018 08:56PM

Those who claim religion is the source of our values, morals, etc, never seem to include the fact that religion has always supported social atrocities like slavery, misogyny, homophobia, killing perpetrators of minor crimes, maiming of perpetrators (even children), and the murdering of dissidents.

Of course religion is involved. Look how quickly it changes when society changes.

Kathleen

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: December 27, 2017 05:46PM

I have a Catholic friend who lives in UT, Salt Lake diocese, and is part of the RCIA team there.

Anecdotally, at least in UT, BIC Mormons when they leave do end up joining another Christian denomination. She is always busy with those who are becoming Catholic.

That is only one person's observation in one geographic location.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 27, 2017 05:53PM

Some decide they are atheist or agnostic. Some join other Christian denominations. Some join other religions such as Judaism or Buddhism. Some consider themselves spiritual but not religious.

Posted by: Jimbo ( )
Date: December 27, 2017 05:53PM

Ex Mormon Athiest here . I really hope bible God does not exist . Bible God seems a lot like a human and not a very good human at that . How in the hell can an entity that can create a universe also ask a father to murder his own child as some sacrifice to prove loyalty to that God . That is not spiritual . That is beyond twisted and sick .Abrahamic religions are by far the worst of the worst. Seems bible God is also Kool and the Gang with slavery, women as property, Child rape etc etc . Some God you Jews/Cristians/Muslims have there . I certainly do not buy into that immoral garbage.

Posted by: Felix ( )
Date: January 03, 2018 03:12AM

I like your way of putting it Jimbo, looks like you believed your doubts and put your thinking back on track. Great comments!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 27, 2017 05:57PM

Many are atheists. Converts might return to the church they once attended. Others become almost any religion you can name. Unitarian Universalist is a popular choice among exmos.

Posted by: funeral taters ( )
Date: December 28, 2017 10:10AM

When my "shelf collapsed" or my belief in Mormonism fell apart my immediate thoughts were that maybe the Mormon church was all a bunch of BS, but mainstream Christianity was surely correct. This lasted about a week or less before I realized that it all falls apart when you apply the same critical thinking to it. I don't believe in any kind of hocus pocus now. I believe what I see and that's it.

Date: December 28, 2017 10:25AM

When you are stuck in a religious paradigm, especially from birth, there is a tendency to give religion overwhelming importance.

Contrast that with about fifty of the people I work with who go through life never giving religion a second thought. The importance of religion is very very low on their life scale. And yet, they love their families. They are doing their very best at work and life. They enjoy each other. They are honest and they help each other out all the time when life is hard and doesn't go right. They don't look to religion for the answer. They look within and to each other. I have learned from them.

We were taught to give religion too much importance. Someone is benefiting in this life from the sale of religion. Hint: it's. not the buyer.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 28, 2017 10:36AM

Ah! Surely they are right-thinking Christian Atheists!

Remember, kids, if you are sure you want to be an Atheist, be a Christian Atheist, and ghawd will certainly reward you!!

Date: December 28, 2017 10:43AM

What they do know for sure is that the best tamales trump everything. That is what I learned. :). Good life lesson.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 28, 2017 10:34AM

are you saying that mormons aren't christians ?

Date: December 28, 2017 12:33PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
> are you saying that mormons aren't christians ?

Hello, I'm the guy who started this thread.
I realize now that the way I phrased it made it sound like I don't count mormons as christians.
If they want me to call them christian, I will. However, it is a judaism derived religion. Christianity is also a judaism derived religion. So is islam. So is Heaven's Gate and probably a few others.
I would call judaism = judaism v1.0.
Christianity is = judaism v2.0.
Islam is = judaism v3.0.
Mormonism is = judaism v4.0.
and so on.

It is like open source software. Someone takes the code, customizes it to his own liking and releases it. The next generation of religious leaders take the code and study it and customize it some more and release it.
And so, judaism is a highly fragmented religion with all sorts of add-ons.
Each one claims to be the best version. Each one claims to solve the problem the best and most CPU efficient way. Some even claim their competitor can't solve the problem.

What is the problem? The problem is death, unhappiness, disease, reality, diariah, upset stomach, nausea, heartburn.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 28, 2017 12:40PM

"A" solution to the human frailty problem is getting our 'consciousness' onto a hard drive, so to speak. Then you'd have Natural Intelligence v. Artificial Intelligence, and you just know your daughter NI will run off with some ne'er do well AI son of a machine! goddam kids tomorrow!

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: December 29, 2017 03:46AM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
> are you saying that mormons aren't christians ?

They don't have to say it.

TSCC says it every day, everywhere, in every way it can tweak up through its doctrine, scriptures, practices, policies, actions and INACTIONS.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: December 28, 2017 12:51PM

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: December 28, 2017 01:21PM

Quite a few of my friends have posted on this, I thought I’d chime in. I was a convert to Mormonism. (My Dad told me I should never say convert, because I didn’t convert from any church, I was a nothing). I live in one of the most heavily concentrated areas of Latter-day Saints in Utah. In my LDS ward, there are only about 3 or 4 non-LDS families. When a neighbor leaves the church, divorce generally results.

However, My workplace is very different than my neighborhood. I know dozens (you read correctly) of EXMOs. Most were burned out of Mormonism and figured all religion is bullshit.

After many years of agnosticism, I decided that I did believe in a higher power. I also recognized that because of my family traditions, Christianity was the system of belief I was most comfortable in. And, if I were born in Saudi Arabia, my faith understanding and culture would be Islam.

After many years, I decided to give mainstream Christianity a try. I also decided to read the Bible in a modern translation. Growing up in a non-religious family, I didn’t rejoin or return to a previous faith, I discovered that mainline Protestant Christianity is very different in doctrine and application than Mormonism. And, the teachings of Jesus (many here will say he didn’t exist) contradicted much of which I had been taught was important in Mormonism. For example, Jesus’s greatest condemnations were reserved for religious leaders who were hypocrites.

As I mentioned, at work most EXMOs are either agnostic or atheist, but church is a different story. Both Utah Catholic and Protestant communities benefit from LDS conversions. This was a real shocker. Go into most Catholic or Protestant Churches in Utah and ask, do any of you have an LDS background? You’ll be surprised at how many do.

So, in direct reply to the OP, many RfM posters are atheist. Some of us are members of other faith communities. But, this is a healing and recovery site where many people have been hurt, brutalized, or shamed by a religion. RfM helps me, as a Christian, to come to grips with years of deception and hurt by a religious cult. It also helps me vent because my wife and children are all TBMs. And, I really like my friends here. In Mormonism, Utah Mormons in particular, friendship is based on religion. To be frank, that’s pretty fucked up. I like people. I like atheist people, I even like some LDS people. What I don’t like is dishonesty.

I hope you’ll keep posting. Hugs, The Boner

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2017 01:25PM by BYU Boner.

Date: December 28, 2017 11:14PM

Ex-mormons become (ex-mormons) FREE [(happy) (at peace) (enlightened) (any [secret?] combination of these and/ or other adjectives)].

Posted by: Felix ( )
Date: December 28, 2017 11:41PM

I tend to believe that we have slightly greater capacity to discern between truth and error, reality and myth as we have freed ourselves from the captivity of falsehood. While we celebrate the liberating freedom we find in that truth we morn the sense of loss of belonging to a community and the sense of purpose it united us in.

I carry on with the belief that the truth still matters and it is up to us to find it and apply it to a world in need.

Date: January 02, 2018 10:17PM

Felix Wrote:
> I tend to believe that we have slightly greater
> capacity to discern between truth and error,
> reality and myth as we have freed ourselves from
> the captivity of falsehood. While we celebrate the
> liberating freedom we find in that truth we morn
> the sense of loss of belonging to a community and
> the sense of purpose it united us in.
>
> I carry on with the belief that the truth still
> matters and it is up to us to find it and apply it
> to a world in need.

Sounds like the choice is between belonging to a community and
the sense of purpose AND being a person who favors truth.

I would go with truth because there are plenty of people who are interested in whatever the truth is.

Personally, I think the best way to understand what the truth is to study nature/universe. Science is the best way since it has a filter to block out bad information. Anyone can study it, review it, perform an experiment (as long as your time, budget, knowledge allows).

So, you guessed it. I am a "science head". I see no value in religion. There are too many of them and come from unreliable, superstitious, primitive humans.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: December 29, 2017 12:12AM

I’m a nature-worshipping Christian atheist pantheist at the moment. I like Jesus as a mythological figure. Don’t have to worry about Zombie Jesus eating my brain. I can’t imagine Jesus as a closed-minded mean prick, so Mormonism is out.

Posted by: chipace ( )
Date: December 29, 2017 03:28AM

I'm from the Great White North and the same age as the parent. After leaving, my beliefs shifted to being agnostic and seeing religious historical figures as simply good people with new wisdom. I don't believe in organized religion unless there is free beer and young ladies. I now believe in enjoying life and being an example of happiness to my family. I think that this is a very "Canadian" way of living. Being polite and nonconfrontational, accepting people for who they are and allowing them to have any believe they want... we can all be different and be friends.

Posted by: False Doctrine ( )
Date: December 29, 2017 07:22PM

I became a "Hopeful Agnostic Leaning Atheist."

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: December 29, 2017 07:48PM

None of my exmormon friends became Christians, one became a Buddist and at least 15 became Atheists like me.

Date: December 29, 2017 08:03PM

All I have heard is anecdotal evidence. As I said above, all but one of the few ex Mos I know in real life have not only become Christian, but have joined the clergy. Is this typical? I really doubt it, but I also doubt that almost all are atheists even if that is true of the board. I know other churches have many ex Mo converts.It depends on the ex Mo, his personality and reasons for leaving. As far as I know, no actual study has ever been done. It would be interesting to see one.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2017 09:42PM by bona dea.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: December 29, 2017 10:07PM

I am considering applying to Yale Divinity School myself.

Date: December 29, 2017 10:09PM

Cool. Are you planning on becoming a minister?

Date: December 30, 2017 11:52AM

Possibly.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 04, 2018 04:30AM

rhgc,

That sounds like an awesome prospect if it fits into your general life plan. I am an agnostic but one one who finds religion and philosophy fascinating. To study the topic at a place like Yale could be a life-changing experience both religiously and more generally.

Date: December 29, 2017 08:52PM

I, for one, returned to my roots. I was raised a Presbyterian, left to join the "Church of Christ", moved on to moism, now - though it is not perfect - am active as a Presbyterian. I know that no faith is perfect and accept that. But Moism is TOO imperfect.

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: December 29, 2017 09:04PM

rhgc Wrote:
> I, for one, returned to my roots. I was raised a
> Presbyterian, left to join the "Church of Christ",
> moved on to moism, now - though it is not perfect
> - am active as a Presbyterian. I know that no
> faith is perfect and accept that. But Moism is TOO
> imperfect.

Almost any alternative is better than singing the praises of a pedophile.
I just rejected all forms of tribalism, which I see as the main problem we need to overcome in order to survive.

Date: December 29, 2017 11:21PM

They become extinct-mormons.

They read better literature, sleep better, eat healthier and live cleaner lives, are more involved in the arts and immediate communities, smile more, without reason, are happier, and spend more [higher quality] time with their families.

Posted by: Lilac ( )
Date: December 30, 2017 06:59PM

I am female and as an exmo, I became Atheist. It feels natural and definitely takes no effort, unlike religions. I will never have any truck with any religion ever again. It feels so good to be free and not have to pretend to believe anything.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: December 30, 2017 08:28PM

Some do, some don't.

Posted by: got2BReal ( )
Date: December 31, 2017 05:07PM

I can only speak for myself, I didn't.

Once I read Ian Stevenson's books I could never accept any religion that is inconsistent with reincarnation. Human beings are what they are supposed to be and where they are supposed to be. No other theory has ever made any sense to me.

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: December 31, 2017 06:34PM

got2BReal Wrote:
> I can only speak for myself, I didn't.
>
> Once I read Ian Stevenson's books I could never
> accept any religion that is inconsistent with
> reincarnation. Human beings are what they are
> supposed to be and where they are supposed to be.
> No other theory has ever made any sense to me.

If you believe in 'reincarnation'. You really need to get a copy of Newton's Journey of Souls.

I guess you could call it a 'theory' ----- many of us with past life experiences just expect it as a 'fact'!

I still can't find any religion I can believe in though!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2017 06:35PM by spiritist.

Posted by: tutu ( )
Date: January 03, 2018 09:06AM

Most of the exmos I know are not involved in any religion.

They're not Christians or Muslims or Buddhists.....

I'm happy to believe in energy.....both spiritual & healing.

I do have a sister who says she's Christian now. Jesus has saved her from a sinful life. But she's definitely not a shining example of Love. But she wears a cross.

It's great to be "guilt" free & human.

Love & Joy to all
Tutu

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2018 09:07AM by tutu.

Posted by: lazylizard ( )
Date: January 04, 2018 04:22AM

I myself have been interested in using herbs to help heal (but not ONLY THAT. I mean, there are doctors for a reason). To be honest, I have always felt connected with Celtic and Irish ancestry, and if I am correct they at one point, were Wiccan. Unless that is a Western practice. I need to do some more research.

I am one to believe in spirits and reincarnation (the spirit thing thanks to my Mormon upbringing), but I am not letting religion run my life. All I know when conducting with others is to be kind and open-minded.

As the Wiccan creed goes; Do what thou wilt, save it harm none and do not harm thyself.

There is other shit I believe in, and it is surprisingly close to Buddhism. I guess I am just more open now to possibilities. Funny thing is, I was considered a devout Mormon, even if at some point I was faking it.

Posted by: oneinbillions ( )
Date: January 04, 2018 06:09AM

I was born into the church but I'm atheist now. I really felt like I was atheist all along but couldn't admit it to myself or anyone else; even as a kid I thought the whole religion thing sounded nuts.

Indoctrination is a very hard thing to overcome. I'd wager that's why so many exmos convert to other religions. But in my view that's like out of the fire and into the frying pan; it may be slightly less crazy, but it's still crazy.

Date: January 04, 2018 07:00AM

You might argue that indoctrination is the reason that many ex Mormons leave religion altogether. It has been drummed into them from infancy that all other churches are wrong. That indoctrination doesnt necessarily leave because you discover the problems in the Morg. Why would you join something even worse? Many ex Mos have no idea what other religions believe beyond what they were taught by Mormons

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: January 04, 2018 08:24AM

bona dea Wrote:
> You might argue that indoctrination is the reason
> that many ex Mormons leave religion altogether. It
> has been drummed into them from infancy that all
> other churches are wrong. That indoctrination
> doesnt necessarily leave because you discover the
> problems in the Morg. Why would you join something
> even worse? Many ex Mos have no idea what other
> religions believe beyond what they were taught by
> Mormons

Oh yeah, definitely. That was certainly my experience.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: January 04, 2018 08:04AM

Most atheists were never Mormons and many know little about Mormonism.

The bulk of them at American Atheists come from other Christian backgrounds. Increasingly there are more Muslims showing up. Many were not indoctrinated at all from a religion but are not comfortable with religious influence that impacts them.

Some were heavily indoctrinated and some were not. The most common trend is that they simply do not accept the mechanism of faith claims as a way to run your life.

Mormonism is a side show when it comes to atheism in general. Mormons tend to value education more than some religions, which could be a bigger factor for why people leave and end up without belief.

Date: January 04, 2018 08:24AM

We are not talking about all atheists or even all ex Mo atheists though. We are talking about SOME ex Mormons who become atheist. Others join other religions or go inactive without giving up on God. I think that it depends on the person, his personality and reasons for leaving. I have no idea what path most ex Mormons take since, as far as I know, there has never been a study and anecdotal evidence is just that-anecdotal.My statement was simply a theory about why some become atheist. Of course there are other reasons, but church teaching on other religions and a warped view of what they teach may be a factor for some.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.