Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: January 02, 2018 06:13PM

It is only one of two this month of January 2018.

It is actually the year's largest supermoon tonight.

Be there or be square ! ;-)

http://earthsky.org/tonight/years-largest-supermoon-on-january-1-2

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: January 02, 2018 06:39PM

My true name is analogous to the English "Randolph" and descends from the Anglo-Saxon "roont," as in "runt," "whelp," "little one," or offspring, or "suckled by," and "vulf," or "wolf." So yes, I'm a son-of-a-bitch! Apparently the Germanic tribes had their variation on the Romulus & Remus legend.

Once, in college, the campus cops came for me: I was sitting on top of snowpile in my skivvies, drunk and howling at the moon.

Happy New Year AmyJo, O Elegant One!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 02, 2018 06:47PM

And whose 'house' were you serenading?

The Chi O's or the AD Pi's?

Date: January 02, 2018 07:08PM

Very original even if your true name is from the antiquities.

You remind me of one of my children. When away at college for the first semester come All Hallows' Eve he was found wandering around the in town cemetery with some class mates dressed as ghosts, running around to test the spirits, howling at the moon.

It wasn't the spirits who were tested. The local neighbors called the police on them, and they were told to go home.

That beautiful new dorm sheet I paid good money for my kid to have a well stocked dorm room? It came home with two holes cut out for where his eyes went.

:D

Happy New Year back, Caffiend.

My true Hebrew name btw is Davidah Naomi and Ruth. I'm named after King David, Naomi and Ruth his ancestors.

My parents had no clue when they named me the English equivalent. I used to not like my birth name. Have grown into it as I grew up. My daddy named me. My middle name was in honor of my Hebrew grandmother. Otherwise, they didn't have a clue as to my Jewish name/s. It's something I learned after learning more about my Jewish roots.

Am Y'Israel Chai!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2018 07:11PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 02, 2018 07:11PM

caffiend Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Once, in college, the campus cops came for me: I
> was sitting on top of snowpile in my skivvies,
> drunk and howling at the moon.

I'd pay good money to see photos of that...:)

Go howl at the moon tonight. If you can see it through all that Northeast snow!

Date: January 02, 2018 07:14PM

We're having a true blue blizzard where I live.

There was a 20 car pile-up on the interstate this afternoon. One person lost their life. Another is in critical - the accident was caused from white out conditions.

Am hoping we have a snow day tomorrow.

Fortunately with my job even if no official snow day we can call in if we deem it unsafe to make the drive.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: January 02, 2018 07:29PM

:)

And with the "Montreal Express" now nation-wide, I'd need a whole lot of antifreeze, and anesthetic!

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 02, 2018 08:58PM

And a good thing you did, we're glad you're still around even if you can't go out and howl naked at the moon anymore!

But that "nationwide" thing...75F and sunny here today. Same tomorrow. Dipping to a frosty 53F at midnight for the moon, but that's doable with some warm tea, no antifreeze needed :)

Come on out and visit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2018 08:58PM by ificouldhietokolob.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: January 02, 2018 09:08PM

I was driving up the hill and saw it rising over the Wasatch...

/remedial schoolteacher voice on

The size is actually an "optical illusion" when it's low on the horizon like I just saw it. When it moves higher in the sky, the difference will be obvious...

Date: January 02, 2018 11:12PM

That had to be a beautiful sight.

My grandmother's house had a majestic view of the Wasatch mountains from her backyard.

:)

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: January 03, 2018 01:45PM

I went out last night to watch the moonrise over the Cascades and Mt Rainier.....but it was too cloudy, and as I was standing there disappointed, it started to rain.

Maybe things will be more favorable at the end of the month.

Date: January 03, 2018 04:03PM

I hope so too for your sake.

It's been in a deep freeze where we live. We had the coldest New Year on record this year. Only today is it trying to climb back out of the single digits and the teens.

And it's still frigid.

That's a pretty spot where you are to star gaze.

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: January 03, 2018 04:13PM

Saw it last night but too cold to stay out very long, subzero. I have always enjoyed winter full moons more than any other because they get so high in the sky a few hours after rising. Light reflecting off the snow last night turned night into day. The coyotes liked it too, they howled for hours.

Date: January 03, 2018 04:29PM

It sounds like you're out in the boondocks. Howling coyotes and all.

I love waxing crescent moons.

When one of my children spent four + years working for the DreamWorks Animation Studios, the little boy sitting on the crescent moon with a fishing pole will be forever linked to memories of my children and their daydreams growing up.

For all the animated movies I took them too it didn't occur to me then I had a budding animator in the family that would one day work among the stars of Hollywood.

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: January 03, 2018 04:31PM

Stay warm and safe where you are. I saw that pileup on the news and was relieved to see you posting.

Date: January 03, 2018 05:35PM

It was a real white out yesterday on the roadways.

One car was rear ended by a tractor-trailer. That caused a domino effect and another 15-25 crashed into each other because of the poor visibility.

The stretch of highway where that occurred is between Rochester and Buffalo. It can get bad even on good days. During inclement weather it is treacherous.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.