Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: January 03, 2018 07:30AM

He didn't stand head and shoulders to David O. McKay.

He was an affable fellow,fair enough. Yet it was under his leadership that instigated the ban on children of homosexuals and their gay parents being able to worship as LDS.

That is by far the most draconian of church policies instituted by TSCC.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/thomas-monson-president-mormon-church-dies-90-n834211

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: January 03, 2018 07:50AM

http://www.sltrib.com/religion/local/2018/01/03/reactions-to-death-of-mormon-prophet-thomas-s-monson/

Reading the SL Tribune's article for reactions to Monson's death...you see a lot of comments from wealthy/well-known Mormons talking about PERSONAL experiences and how he was there for their family. So far I haven't read anything about how he served his flock...which was his job/calling

Date: January 03, 2018 01:55PM

Other than his wiggling his ears to charm churchgoers, and his otherwise affable personality, he didn't strike me as a visionary or someone inspired.

The meetings the GA holds are such they sit around a large table. Pray about a matter after discussing it. Maybe praying some more, pending further discussion. Until they reach a unanimous consensus of whatever the matter is.

That is similar to CEO's of major corporations or stockholders getting together, brainstorming, then deciding on a course of action.

The way the church decision making process has been portrayed by its own PR department is patently textbook "Groupthink." A subject studied in colleges to learn how bad decisions are made by people at the organizational level when their faulty reasoning and unquestioning blind obedience to a group mentality takes over.

That's how I'll best remember Monson, as a cronie of his peers. Prophet is so loosely ascribed to these men, it is nonsensical.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 03, 2018 09:18AM

I think it's safe to say that Monson will be remembered best for "Let's go shopping!"

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 03, 2018 09:30AM

"I once saw a great man wiggle his ears!"
- - Judic West, Fox News Analyst to the stars

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: January 03, 2018 02:18PM

Don't forget the extremely hateful Proposition 8 fight. That campaign was indefensible in my opinion.

Date: January 03, 2018 03:59PM

Amein and amein.

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: January 03, 2018 02:22PM

Some prophet - in his desire to outlaw gay marriage by constitutional amendment he ended up forcing the issue and and legalizing gay marriage nationwide - including in his home state of Utah!

One would think that a "prophet" would have seen that coming...

He lived in the lap of luxury for 45 years and we are all somehow expected to feel sad for him now that he's gone. What a crock.

Date: January 03, 2018 03:59PM

For me is more the mourning of the passing of a bygone era.

Not for Monson - he was an overpaid lackey for the corporation. A figurehead to the Mormon empire similar to the pope is to Catholicism; minus the Vatican dynasty.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.