Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: January 03, 2018 04:35PM

They don't believe me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 03, 2018 04:49PM

I've found the smuggled-camera temple ritual videos to be useful.

After seeing them, non-mormons invariably ask me:

"Wait, you actually did that shit?"

Yep, I did.

"Wow, that's flat-out crazy stuff!"

Yep, it is.

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: January 03, 2018 04:54PM

Bwahahaha!!

Posted by: Texmo ( )
Date: January 03, 2018 05:03PM

I've tried to explain what it was like to be a Mormon to nevermos. They just don't get it. And when I try to tell them about Joseph Smith, the golden plates, native Americans being the descendants of Israelites,etc., the more they look at me like I'm a little off. I've found it's best to keep my mouth shut unless the person I'm talking to has an open mind and won't judge me because I once belonged to a crazy cult.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: January 03, 2018 06:10PM

none of my best, closest friends have ever been mormons so when I left the church my wonderful friends threw me a lunch to celebrate.
It was then that they told me the mormon church is the stupidest
church they had ever heard of and they were so glad I was out.

Gotta love my friends, I do.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: January 03, 2018 06:33PM

I never tell anyone I was in that cult. It's just too embarrassing. Thank goodness this forum is here for us to share.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 03, 2018 06:33PM

I was telling some people in the office a few months ago a few of the particulars of Mormonism. They were laughing their asses off. The incredulity in their voices was something. If you haven't been raised in Mormonism, even steeped in it, it sounds even wackier to them than it does to us.

Maybe I should have said, even "stepped in it?"

Posted by: helenm ( )
Date: January 03, 2018 06:46PM

You're not the only one. I have a friend who has been a convert for almost 9 months now and it agonizes me, as well as, our mutual ex-mo and closeted apostate friends. She'll figure it out sooner or later, I mean so many people have already which is why LD$ church membership is declining.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: January 03, 2018 07:02PM

You simply can't understand it unless you have experienced it.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 03, 2018 09:16PM

My boyfriend is a nevermo. I dated him when I was 20 and a TBM. We've been back together for 13 years this month. When I'm really struggling with things mormon, he tells me I better go talk to my therapist about it. It is SO NICE to have a therapist who gets it. My ex and my son listen to me, too, and most of my family is out, so I have a huge group to talk to about mormonism, but my therapist can always immediately pinpoint what I'm struggling with within seconds of telling him.

My boyfriend has been working in Utah again for 5 years and works with most mormons. He has more of an idea of what mormons are like, but even he can't put into words what makes mormons tick.

For helenm, she's new the religion. She ain't seen nothing yet. Has she been through the temple???? Many converts leave over going to the temple.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: January 03, 2018 07:29PM

I know. Sometimes someone will ask me a question and I start trying to explain it, or where it comes from in the mormon grand scheme of things. I'll hear myself and realize how bizarre it all sounds and then feel like I have to qualify it with "I swear if you're born and raised in it, you think YOU are the normal one." While they're all staring at me with their jaws dropped wondering how I could have bought into that.

Posted by: mootman ( )
Date: January 03, 2018 07:39PM

I used to feel that impulse to feel ashamed or wierded out with never-mo's but I will always look for a listening ear. I feel that folks know they have things from their family or community traditions that outsiders might think Wierd or whatever. There's plenty of Wierd to go around.
Take polygamy for example. Yea, I have a bunch of polygamists in my family tree but I have slave owners and criminals and all kinds of Wierd stuff in there and so does everyone else. I try to be more zen about and respectful and circumspect of the past because it's just the truth-- Yup I grew up in that and it's pretty Wierd and isn't that interesting

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.