Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: January 07, 2018 09:02AM

It seems like a long time from death to funeral. So I have given this some thought. Some serious, some not so serious

1. They are waiting to see and prove to the world we get resurrected?

2. Demonstration of embalming effectiveness.

3. Not enough tithes collected to pay for funeral.

4. They are redecorating prophet's apt over looking the temple. And Wendy has demanded a lot of changes.

5. A demo to make sure that people know how to dress a body properly in temple clothes for burial.

6. Monson misplaced the key to the room they meet in, in the temple, so they have to find a temple recommend lock smith.

Now the serious ones. They wait until prophet is buried before they choose new one, so:

1. They are getting legal papers ready to change how they choose a prophet.

2. They are concerned about Wendy and trying to figure out what to do so she does not bring down the structure of the church.

3.There is a power war going on with the top 15, I mean top 13. The German guy wants to keep his position.

Whatever it seems like a long time from death to burial. But I can not help but wonder what is going on behind the scenes. Why is Monson's daughter not pushing for fast burial. I do know that the body, even if embalmed, starts to have certain physical changes due to death even over a three or 4 day period. I have seen it with my parents and sister when they died. Maybe they think Monson will look better!!!

Thoughts

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: January 07, 2018 09:12AM

Here, in Utah, they're milking it for all they can. You'd think the President or the Pope had died (although to mormons, the profit IS more relevant than the Pope and President combined). We've got flags at half staff (ordered by the Governor), constant news pieces and newspaper articles. Stupid stories from anyone that came in contact with Monson in the past 40 years. It's ridiculous, but it keeps the faithful riveted.

Date: January 07, 2018 10:06AM

I felt he suffered elder abuse in the past few years. So even in death they are still abusing him.

Do they really think the world cares?

They need to put some closure on this for his family and get rid of this "milking for all its worth."

Maybe they are waiting for Trump to end his vacation so he can attend the funeral.

Posted by: corry0101 ( )
Date: January 07, 2018 01:28PM

even if he spent the last 10 years listening to radio gaga on continuous loop, I care not
go back a few years and he was the one doing the abuse to others, so - yah know - 'reap what you sow' an all that

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: January 07, 2018 08:00PM

Quit complaining stillanon. You'll get your funeral like the rest of us, but nobody will care because you are a nobody in this world. Just a creepy old man hitting on 24 year olds that is all you will ever be.

Date: January 07, 2018 08:05PM

Aww Adam. If only you has a shot at a 24 year old. Or any woman of any age.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 01:46PM

I don't want to battle anymore like i said before, i like my chances in the future, my health choices have been smart and everything else will fall in to place later on. Attractive women do like me so i am not too worried about that.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: January 07, 2018 10:46AM

probably just making sure he's dead. He's looked the same for so long....

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: January 07, 2018 11:12AM

They’re working on animatronics to make his ears wiggle. They should have specified overnight shipping on those servos.

Posted by: commongentile ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 12:11PM

Babyloncansuckit Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They’re working on animatronics to make his ears
> wiggle. They should have specified overnight
> shipping on those servos.

I saw a movie once that was set in part in a mortuary (funeral home). This place had a "breathing device" that was positioned behind the casket and it would make quiet breathing sounds to give the illusion that the deceased was still breathing. In real life, I've never heard of a mortuary having such a device and think most people would find it offensive. (I guess one could go even further and place an inflatable "vest" under the shirt of the deceased and have it inflate and deflate to complete the illusion of breathing!)

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 07, 2018 11:40AM

Still looking & hoping to locate a glass coffin so they could display his remains & invite everyone to view him inside Lards Holy Temples (each of them around the world);

Nelson is peeing his pants waiting to take over...

just sayin'

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2018 12:51PM by GNPE.

Date: January 07, 2018 11:46AM

They are actually having the viewing this Friday, the day before his funeral. Most of my neighbors are going. They could actually sell 100,000 tickets for $100.00 a piece and they'd sell out in 10 minutes.

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: January 07, 2018 02:33PM

The public viewing is the day before, on Thursday.

Date: January 07, 2018 12:53PM

the (game of) Musical Chairs, taking place in the Upper Room hasn't ended yet...

just sayin'

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: January 07, 2018 01:09PM

GNPE Wrote:
> the (game of) Musical Chairs, taking place in the
> Upper Room hasn't ended yet...
>
> just sayin'

What do you mean?

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: January 07, 2018 01:33PM

It's the equivalent of Catholics doing their smoke ritual.

They have to get their "revelation" to know which old codger will for sure take over (which one will be best for the corporation) and present it to the believers as a Passing of the Guard ritual.

What really happens is probably a couple meetings to decide who will be sitting in the center chair in the portraits. Who will get serenaded with "Thank Thee O God for a Prophet" songs next? They have to pretend they confirmed the process.

Generally they will say that God has already aligned them in prophet pecking order so it should not be a surprise when they pick the next one in the aligned position.

Date: January 07, 2018 03:15PM

dagny Wrote:
> It's the equivalent of Catholics doing their smoke
> ritual.
>
>
> They have to get their "revelation" to know which
> old codger will for sure take over (which one will
> be best for the corporation) and present it to the
> believers as a Passing of the Guard ritual.
>
> What really happens is probably a couple meetings
> to decide who will be sitting in the center chair
> in the portraits. Who will get serenaded with
> "Thank Thee O God for a Prophet" songs next? They
> have to pretend they confirmed the process.
>
> Generally they will say that God has already
> aligned them in prophet pecking order so it should
> not be a surprise when they pick the next one in
> the aligned position.

So you don't believe that the president is really the president?

Date: January 07, 2018 03:38PM

It would be highly unusual for it not to be the next one in line but it could happen I suppose.

Nelson is expected to be formally appointed as the 17th Mormon president during a private meeting of the apostles in the Salt Lake City temple, most likely sometime after a funeral is held for Monson on Jan. 12. (I saw this in Idaho State Journal.)

Until then, there is a remote chance "God" could pick someone else.

So, at this moment, it's just protocol- just waiting for the smoke signal.

Date: January 07, 2018 04:03PM

dagny Wrote:
> It would be highly unusual for it not to be the
> next one in line but it could happen I suppose.
>
> Nelson is expected to be formally appointed as the
> 17th Mormon president during a private meeting of
> the apostles in the Salt Lake City temple, most
> likely sometime after a funeral is held for Monson
> on Jan. 12. (I saw this in Idaho State Journal.)
>
> Until then, there is a remote chance "God" could
> pick someone else.
>
> So, at this moment, it's just protocol- just
> waiting for the smoke signal.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/for-mormons-succession-drama-is-against-their-religion/ar-BBHQo5D

""According to the church’s website: “The appointment of a new president of the Church happens in an orderly way that — remarkably in today’s world — avoids any trace of internal lobbying for position or rank. Viewed by members as a divinely revealed process, it is devoid of electioneering whether behind the scenes or in public.”"

(Then they better change the website first if they decide to deviate.)

Date: January 07, 2018 07:46PM

Hahahaha. Because they always tell the full truth on their website.

True, there isn't drama as other church leadership turnovers may have because the mentality of the entire organization is business-like.

However, behind the scenes, there has got to be some positioning and discussion. They have to keep the appearance that the process is "inspired" and "revealed" and all that. This is to let the sheep know who God's special top spokesman is, after all.

Date: January 07, 2018 11:47AM

Not that long considering he was the leader of a church that does have a global reach.

For Mormons, their president is their version of a pope. (pope means father)

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: January 07, 2018 12:26PM

They’re afraid of body snatchers.

Date: January 07, 2018 12:48PM

It doesn't matter since the body had already been embalmed with Pepsi.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: January 07, 2018 09:57PM

hahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaaha!!!

Posted by: abby ( )
Date: January 07, 2018 01:16PM

Who's Wendy?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 07, 2018 09:25PM

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: January 07, 2018 02:30PM

The Monday after is MLK day. That way all church employees will get a four day weekend.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: January 07, 2018 03:06PM

... but others say that he is dead and that he stinketh, and that he ought to be placed in the sepulchre ...."

(Alma 19:5)

Maybe the jury is still out on this one.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 07, 2018 03:08PM

For days on end! Sheesh!

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: January 07, 2018 03:42PM

I feel the same way, it's nice not living in Utah or other Mormon heavy area. His death wasn't even on the front page of the local papers, only in the obituary section. As for Facebook, I've hidden Mormon-related stuff, and for the few FB friends who post cult propaganda, they've been unfollowed, and I've been avoiding their pages.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2018 03:44PM by adoylelb.

Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: January 07, 2018 03:43PM

Isn't it typically a week to bury people. It that way when my TBM mom died. Shouldn't Monson be the same!??

Date: January 07, 2018 05:14PM

The game of Musical Chairs in the Upper Room of tsctemple isn't over yet.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: January 07, 2018 08:31PM

Maybe Nelson turned down the presidency and they're scrambling.

More than likely there is discussion on the members of the first presidency and replacement of the apostles.

They could also just need time for family members to gather. My aunt had two grandchildren overseas and it took time for them to come home.

Date: January 07, 2018 08:46PM

Makes sense. It will give stake, mission and temple presidencies time to get to SLC.

Posted by: commongentile ( )
Date: January 07, 2018 08:42PM

I hope that President Monson has had the services of a conscientious and skillful embalmer (such as myself!). I recall embalming a lady once whose burial was delayed for a month until all the relatives could get there. They had the viewing and funeral, and then a month intervened. At that point the newly arrived relatives wanted to see the deceased, as did the ones who had already viewed her at the time of the funeral. She was in good shape. The ends of her fingers were slightly darker than at the time of the funeral, and I fixed that with cosmetics. The family was prepared to view her from a distance, but I assured them they could go right up to the casket.

I've never had the privilege of embalming a celebrity. Stephen King, at the beginning of his page-turning novel, Pet Sematary, writes:

"Here are some people who have not written books, telling what they did. . . and what they saw:

"The man who buried Hitler. The man who performed the autopsy on John Wilkes Booth. The man who embalmed Elvis Presley. The man who embalmed — badly, most undertakers say — Pope John XXIII. ...

"Death is a mystery, and burial is a secret."

Even though it is claimed here that Pope John XXIII was badly embalmed, one can view him in a glass casket at St. Peter's in Rome. He was removed, after his canonization, from his tomb in the grottoes under St. Peter's and has remained on view for veneration by the faithful. The Wikipedia article about him states: "At the time, the body was observed to be extremely well preserved—a condition which the Church ascribes to embalming and the lack of air flow in his sealed triple coffin rather than a miracle." From photos I've seen of him in his glass casket, he appears to be in good shape, although I've read they covered his face with a thin coating of wax.

Date: January 09, 2018 02:02AM

I think some taxidermy skills would come in handy. Indeed, why replace him? Just wheel him at each GC to sit on the stand. Who would notice the difference?

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: January 07, 2018 10:56PM

He's still searching for the truth (answers).

Posted by: You Too? ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 01:20AM

It will be almost 10 days.

Could be power struggle.

Could be plenty of time to whip up attendance especially with an intervening Sun. Odd they are not doing it on a Sat.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 01:36AM

It's possible that the church is at a crossroads with the death of TSM. There may be different factions within the Q 12 that have different ideas on whether the church should take a different approach.

Date: January 08, 2018 10:04AM

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 09:44AM

You forgot one possibility (and maybe the most likely one):

Monson's un-prophesied day of death conflicted with the new year schedule of mormon asspostle meetings to set the yearly corporate agenda. And since fiscal year planning is far more important than some dead guy who will keep embalmed for a couple of weeks, they simply went on with their planned schedule and squeezed in his funeral later...

Date: January 09, 2018 01:04AM

I hope they take it as an omen. God’s first order of business for the meeting - Monson croaks.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 10:06AM

Weekend at Bernie's

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 10:39AM

So all the world leaders can get there. I mean, it is the holy profit-o-gawd for all of mankind. If they can make it to royal weddings, they'll certainly want to be at... what's his name's funeral.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: January 09, 2018 01:37AM

some world dignitaries may not be able to make it to whats his name's memorial service .....because there is supposed to be a blow sale at their local Packard/ Studebaker dealership.....

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 02:58PM

They've got to dig up ole' Joe to tell him the new revelations [none], ask about polygamy, and ask him where the plates are. It's time to feast first!

M@t

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 03:02PM

Aw man, I missed it. When did he check out?
I just got back from having a great New Years vacation.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 11:33PM

EXON46 Wrote:
> Aw man, I missed it. When did he check out?
> I just got back from having a great New Years
> vacation.

You didn't miss anything. Neither did he.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: January 09, 2018 01:10AM

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: January 09, 2018 01:29AM

because MORmONISM is always in a big big hurry https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8l0lu4otIg

unless they are NOT in hurry, then they are world champions at foot dragging

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwkTZzBTCyA

most of all, MORmONS are consistently inconsistent DUMB ASSES

Date: January 09, 2018 09:19AM

Members of the Council of Fifty are meeting with leaders of the Lost Tribes, no cell phone or internet access...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2018 09:32AM by GNPE.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.