Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 09:39AM

This whole new format for Priesthood and RS meetings is talked about as exciting and the Church moving forward. Its like the second coming to many TBM leaders. At least in this area.

As mentioned I have some health issues and still trying to figure out life and death and the passing of my wife. I have told some members of my personal struggles and all I get is "You need more faith." No I need more understanding.

So I have left my membership in the USA in my last ward. I told my friend there who is record guy not to move them forward. I told him the reason. I have a slight legal problem and want to maintain a USA contact point and felt that having my records could show the courts I still have connections there as membership in Church is so important to LDS people. He knows the reasons and has told no one, except "I think SEcular Priest might be returning." That is the exact reason.

I told the Bishop here I am not having my records transferred yet. I told the ward record guy do not ask for my records. I told them both its for legal reasons.

So we get into our TIGHT little circle before we start the discussion. Remember I am visiting and really only know a couple of people. The HP group leader comes over and looks down at me and asks me "why have you not transferred your records here." I said politely. "There is a legal reason I have not done it." He looks at me and says in front of everyone one, "A legal reason?" He is looking for an answer and that is a pretty lame excuse. I said '"yes." By now everyone is looking at me and him and I feel like crap because it sounds like a lame excuse. He then said we need to have you do home teaching so we need your records. I said they are not being transferred. He left and never talked to me again.

Folks I would have gotten up and left but I really wanted to see how this meeting was going to play out after that introduction.

Now it did not help that I had on my new $500 plus suit. I like to dress well. I am well educated and well liked in the community. But I just felt like s%$# after he talked to me. It seemed they must have talked about me in some meeting that morning because HT was a big focus as the Elders were not doing their HT.

I wish all of this was fiction but it is not. It is what it is. Very bad for people's spiritual, mental and emotional health. I go and report because it needs to be done. People really know to know what assumed power can do to people who are not learned in the ways of talking or relating with people.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 09:59AM

So why does a religion need "records" ?

Posted by: MeM ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 10:44AM

I'm sure most of us who attended for any time at all have known "leaders" like that guy. You have my sympathy.
That old B.S. that "The church is perfect, the people are not" should be revised: "The church turns people into perfect a**holes."

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 11:47AM

I'm not sure that telling your "record guy" not to transfer your records will work.

Usually, if records aren't already received by the new ward, they are requested. This happens electronically through MLS and your old ward doesn't have control over it. The only thing he could do is to request them back again, but your new ward could do the same thing, so it would just be a back and forth thing until someone got wise to it.

Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 02:51PM

You mean I have no control even over my Church records. This is BS. Not you but the Church control. I am a big boy and know what I need and want.
Thanks for setting me straight.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 12:44PM

I love reading your posts. They are very informative for me and then I am able to predict what is coming my way. I was thinking about your post as I walked my dogs yesterday and ran into one of my neighbors walking home from church. We had a nice chat.

BUT even if we have resigned, I know we are one of those families who is being discussed now since most of the ward knew us when we were active mormon. We are just those poor pitiful souls who need to be saved.

Oh, someone above said they had never had any leaders like this guy who confronted you. I KNEW MANY, still do. I'm a female. Maybe that is part of it. These men seem to think they have some kind of authority over the little guys. There are very few leaders I have known in my entire 60 years who was a decent guy. Leadership tends to go to their heads. One of my very, very, very good friends became a bishop. We are no longer friends because of his actions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2018 12:46PM by cl2.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 01:55PM

The church is run by assholes. They go out of their way to tell members off.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 09, 2018 04:05AM

It seems they are putting the church's needs ahead of the needs of the members! They are saying, "Here's what you must do for us to look good!"

How is that going to be a winning strategy...given that the role of a church is to make the members feel comfortable despite not being able to control how the world impacts them. Good ol'ghawd is supposed to be there to help, not direct the minutiae of their lives, because that's the sign of a cult...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.