Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 07:34PM

Not trying to trash patriotism but this is too much. Soldiers of every race, colour, sex, gender, religion or no religion at all have died in the service of their country and no religion or faith should be deemed supreme to all others.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/michael-l-weinstein/new-air-force-flagfolding_b_11980820.html

https://www.militarytimes.com/opinion/2016/09/13/new-air-force-flag-folding-rules-strangle-constitution/

http://www.usflag.org/fold.flag.html

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2018 07:57PM by anybody.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 08:07PM

anybody Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...but this is too much.

I agree wholeheartedly.

This isn't about patriotism...it is about official government-sponsored establishment of [a particular] religion...which, needless to say, is specifically prohibited by the Constitution of the United States of America.

> Soldiers of every race, colour, sex, gender,
> religion or no religion at all have died in the
> service of their country...

Yes. Died, as well as all those who have served in the past, or are serving right now.

> ...and no religion or faith
> should be deemed supreme to all others.

...this expression of "establishment of religion" is clearly, totally forbidden by the U.S. Constitution.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 08:38PM

My husband, who was a WWII veteran, had a military person at his burial, and I took it that they were honoring him as this when the person folded the flag, and then gave it to me. (BTW, the person was a female, in uniform.)

I took this folding routine as being a way to best fold the flag (as opposed to rolling it up, or some other awkward way). Folded, it lies flat for storing (if that is one's wish).

One has to do something with a flag that isn't flying on a pole.

Those in U.S.A. wars have earned a right to be recognized for so serving their country, and this appears to be one of those ways to do so.

It wasn't forced on us, it was a choice we made when the family gathered together at the funeral parlor, to decide such issues.

The subject of his and our faith was never an issue, when selecting the flag to be shown at his burial. (One of my three sons now has it in his possession, as a memorial.)

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 10:18PM

To my knowedge no one ever recites these when anyone is folding a flag a retreat ceremony or a funeral.

It's just another manufactured controversy to claim which "culture" is dominant.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 09:55PM

in b 4 ~ OPie folds the flag of her nation ~

like she folds her granny-panties ~

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 10:34PM

I take this as nothing more than an attempt by the extremely christian evangelistic Air Force Academy to have it's way with those who will not put ghawd ahead of country.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 10:48PM

If you can’t bomb brown people for Jesus, who can you bomb them for?

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 11:31PM

Never in my 40 years of military and government service including dozens of burials have I heard of this ceremony. Maybe it is an Air Force thing?

Any idea when it started?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 11:48PM

Not when, but the why of it is easy: The air force academy is a hot bed of christian evangelical fervor and as the article says, they back doored the whole thing.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 11:53PM

It's called "christian privilege".

Posted by: Old Name Levi ( )
Date: January 09, 2018 02:15AM

The USAF as a whole is overrun with white evangelical Christian fervor.

In comparison, the Army has spent decades becoming as diverse and well-rounded as possible.

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: January 09, 2018 05:08AM

You're not trashing patriotism. Thanks for posting the links.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: January 09, 2018 07:32AM

Just checked Snopes--while some nutballs might want to make it official government doctrine, it appears to be...not.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.