Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: goldrose ( )
Date: January 12, 2018 04:43PM

Over Christmas we had a big family dinner, and for some reason we always talk 60% church stuff, 40% anything else. I guess it could have been worse...like 90/10. Anyway..

My aunt told us that she was getting a new VIsitng teaching person because the previous person left the church! Apparently this lady used to work for the church office building. Couple of months ago she left her job and then she left the church.

Aunt: I just don't get why she left. You would think people working directly for the church won't have those...problems...

Dad: Oh, well. You never know. People leave for various reasons.

Someone: Well, people usually leave cause they get offended.

Aunt: Yeah, someone probably offended her. Yeah, that could be the reason. But why would you give up your job? I wouldn't leave my job over a stupid offense.

Someone: Wait. Did she quit or did she get fired?
Aunt: I don't know. I was told she quit the COB...

Someone: Maybe they fired her. Perhaps she did something wrong, she could have stolen something...

Aunt: I didn't think about it... She quit the job all of sudden and stopped attending Church...well, it would make sense. She got fired and that made her mad, so she left the church.

______

I had to call my family out on their BS. This person probably had long term doubts and couldn't fake it anymore. It blew my mind how they looked for any possible scenarios, which would put this lady into a bad position, while the church is still perfect.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 12, 2018 05:04PM

It's easy to imagine how disillusioning it could be to work in view and ear shot of the GfAs and the flunkies who fight to be a favorite.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: January 12, 2018 05:46PM

Working for the Church is what first opened my eyes. I was working for a good ole boys club.

I talked to people working in the COB lots of times. They talked in whispers and mentioned how low the morale was.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 12, 2018 06:07PM

I really got a kick out of that conversation.

Under no circumstance can TBMs consider even for a second that a person who left the church actually had valid reasons based on facts and was in fact sound of mind. If that were true, then how can the TBMs justify not looking into it further and staying? They are lucky they have their always handy default position--offense--to fall back on as a salve to their fragile egos.

Love that you called them out on it. Sad when speculation is all TBMs have to shore up their desperate need to cling to unsubstantiated belief.

Posted by: nevermojohn ( )
Date: January 13, 2018 01:18AM

Perhaps she just figured it all out.

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: January 13, 2018 02:57AM

I have meet two former church employees who left the church and gave up their jobs.

One of them was an official church florist. Mind-you she was one of many who all arranged flowers on the church's dime. She left the church when she realized that Monson was lying while he was speaking at a general conference. Monson gave a speech and told the world that when he feels down (or whatever) he looks to his painting of Jesus Christ that he has in his office and it helps him feel better.

The only problem was that this employee arranged the flowers in Monson's office and she knew there was no such painting. She went the day after the talk at GC and suddenly a new painting had arrived in monson's office but it had not been put up - it was leaning against a couch. She could smell the lie and see the cover-up for herself. That was the straw that broke her shelf when it was all said and done.

It was fascinating talking to her really. She had a lot to say about the extravagant events the GA's enjoy. The monthly luncheons, the vacations, the lavish holiday parties and funerals. She said that every funeral cost the flower shop $20-50k. That's just for FLOWERS. Every two weeks all of the flower arrangements in all of the buildings in temple square are replaced. The more elaborate arrangements are for the GA's and are not seen by the general public.

The next time you see temple square during the holidays think of all the money the church spent on flowers. She told me it was around $200k.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 13, 2018 09:55AM

worked at the COB. All of them had said that "if they didn't believe in the church, working there would ruin their testimonies."

One of my mother's friends went on a mission with her husband to a mormon church ranch. She said the same thing. They were really shocked at how the place was run and how people treated each other.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: January 13, 2018 10:02AM

cl2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> worked at the COB. All of them had said that "if
> they didn't believe in the church, working there
> would ruin their testimonies."

Yes, once I started working for the Church, I told all of my friends, "If you want to keep your testimony, then don't ever work for the Church."

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: January 13, 2018 10:13AM

Reminds me when I thought the church was perfect in principle, just the people weren’t. I came up with that idea all on my own. It’s just understood that TSCC is infallible. But it’s not a cult.

I can just imagine being the person who quit. The scales fall off the eyes while working in the COB. I’d need therapy.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 13, 2018 10:55AM

I say she got a job where she could sin.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: January 13, 2018 04:47PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I say she got a job where she could sin.

Yep, now we have to know she works in a place where she can drink coffee and fornicate. Not necessarily at the same time. Just as long as it's sinning. Being offended and sinning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2018 04:48PM by Aquarius123.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 13, 2018 11:47AM

They live and breathe gossip which is often made-up fluff and nonsense. If they repeat it often enough, they eventually believe what they originated and convince others to also believe it.

It's a mean culture for any victim on the receiving end of this.

Notice how mormons usually don't go to the person in question and ask them what happened? They'd rather assume the worst and make up stories.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2018 11:49AM by Cheryl.

Posted by: Ned ( )
Date: January 13, 2018 04:30PM

Its a testimony killer to anyone that is a free thinker or cant ignore the financial hypocrosy. At a meeting for meetinghouse employees a manager just told a story about how a woman in Africa had to walk to the local church 7 km one way. She had to bring her own chair. In the next sentenace he said that the church wants all mission presidents homes in the US and Canada to be model homes. The presidents and their wives need a place to relax after all of the stress of there day. A new mission home was bought for $750,000 US! The old house was better than anything most of us will ever live in.This sold for $450,000US. NOw back to that woman in Africa.

Posted by: beanhead ( )
Date: January 13, 2018 05:39PM

What did your family do when you called them on their bs?

Did they sink further in denial, or what?

Posted by: goldrose ( )
Date: January 14, 2018 01:55AM

They know that I want to remove my name and I don't go to church, so they started the usual "stop criticizing the church" BS. I told them I wasn't criticizing the church...I was criticizing their gossiping.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.