Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: January 18, 2018 11:49PM

I went to dinner tonight, treating myself to a monthly or so Asian buffet, not far from where I live in the Downtown SLC ghetto. You know what most Asian buffets are like, no matter where you are. This one is OK, and it was as good as I can expect. But I won’t need to go back for several weeks.

As I sat there, there was a couple behind me, middle aged at least but probably not older than me. I’m more than middle aged. I was sure they were a married couple but the way they were talking, I took it to mean that they were brother and sister. Their subject matter at hand was going to work in the SL Temple, which is about a mile from here. I think they were probably done with a day in a temple. She was wearing the morg Sunday outfit but he was a little more casual—i.e: No tie and just a sweater thing.

Anyway, I never quite got what they were talking about but several times he mentioned some of things they were doing in the temple, like he might be training her to do something that she hasn’t done before. He kind of whispered as he talked, like he didn’t want anyone to hear it, which I didn’t.

They were only there a while longer and got up to leave. They each put in some cash for the bill so I guess they weren’t married. I just thought it something you don’t hear very often outside the temple (although I didn’t really hear much). And it has been 20+ years since I darkened the doors.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 19, 2018 12:06AM

What's the name of the restaurant ? I still like Kowloon in West Valley.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 19, 2018 12:26AM

A good Chinese American restaurant is one I take a paper menu from and put on my fridge with a magnet. It's beyond an addiction.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 19, 2018 10:00AM

And if they deliver...score!

I've heard mormons whisper about temple goings-ons outside of it before. Yet if you ask them about it, they'll deny it -- and tell you how evil you are for asking about it outside of the temple. Another layer of hypocrisy...

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 19, 2018 06:46PM

To serve is Hunan, to deliver is divine.

Posted by: incognitotoday ( )
Date: January 21, 2018 08:17AM

Yes siree! Used to work in China. Authentic Chinese is so good. Ya’ll might not appreciate this. Once I had a dinner there that was over the top awesome. Loved it. Afterwards I asked what the meat was - yellow dog. Got a little queasy.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: January 19, 2018 10:04AM

Maybe they are husband and wife. But are so used to each other they behave like brother and sister?

At middle age, it does beg the question.

Posted by: rubi123 ( )
Date: January 19, 2018 05:11PM

Be careful with those Chinese buffets. Seems like one gets closed down every week in Salt Lake! (I'm exaggerating, but still). Ewwwwww.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: January 19, 2018 05:20PM

There was one where I live that got closed down when a patron walked back into the kitchen to find the cooks dressing down a freshly killed deer on the kitchen table, while calling it roast beef.

A sign was soon posted thereafter over the storefront with a deer's head and a line crossed through it.

Health officials who shut down the restaurant weren't sure if the deer was hunted or roadkill.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: January 19, 2018 07:02PM

There was a Middle Eastern restaurant in Salt Lake a few years back that was raising and slaughtering goats and sheep on premises. Not sure what they were doing with the dogs (not sure I want to know.
http://fox13now.com/2015/05/29/health-department-closes-south-salt-lake-restaurant-over-sheep-slaughtering-other-violations/

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: January 20, 2018 02:15PM

This buffet is about 5 blocks from the place that was shut down completely in about October this year. It's not a buffet but I'd had takeout a few times and no problems.

But this one had 2 pages of single space violations. Just creepy. I did notice yesterday on the way to Rite-Aid that there's a sign in the door which says OPEN, not sure if it's the same place or not.

The one I go to always looks clean, even the restroom. You never know.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 19, 2018 06:54PM

I like to try to figure out relationships and conversations when I'm out people watching. Chinese sounds good to me right now. I don't know of a buffet where I live but there are several decent restaurants.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: January 19, 2018 07:38PM

you were trying to figure out what was going on with that MORmON couple .....well what is going on with this woman???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSC_oaiiUt8

Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: January 21, 2018 08:08AM

On the East Coast they are called Asian Buffets and also feature some Japanese and Korean food, as well as sometimes Mongolian.One near us even has "American" food for kids. Generally they are good here, no fear eating there and some like a mostly Japanese one are pretty upscale. We love Asian and also Indian buffets.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: January 21, 2018 10:51PM

Temple talk totally takes task telling two toppings today to tank

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: January 23, 2018 04:43PM

authentic dim sum...yum yum

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.