Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: January 19, 2018 09:11PM

Just wondering What percentage of active posters on this site live alone.

Starting with me, since my husband passed away last February, I do.

But, I have family near-by, and one of my sons and his family have discussed moving in with me.

And, I have things I do that I enjoy doing (such as writing my personal family history). Also, one of my sons takes me out to lunch on a frequent basis.

Likewise, I go out to lunch once a month with my two daughters.

Also, I enjoy all the good folks on this friendly site. (It's kind of like having someone around you enjoy discussing things with.)

P.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 19, 2018 09:19PM

I'm sorry to learn that your husband passed away. That must be very difficult.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: January 21, 2018 09:49PM

I do. For now.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: January 19, 2018 09:33PM

raises hand.

There is a great deal of drama surrounding other members of my family. It never crosses my threshold

I LOVE the solitude and peacefulness that living alone affords. I am an introvert, so it's in my nature anyway.

I do have outlets if I want company.

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: January 19, 2018 10:24PM

Divorced in 2001 and have lived alone ever since. Beats the insane marriage I had to a TBM.

I have contact with others, but do prefer lots of solitude, so rarely get lonely, being the extreme introvert nowadays. INFJ

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: January 19, 2018 10:30PM

I live in me happy hermitage located in the shithole Mesa AZ.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: January 19, 2018 10:39PM

With my children grown and on their own, I live alone.

With my pet pooch that is.

That's very recent to lose your husband, Polly. So sorry for your loss.

XOXO

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 19, 2018 10:43PM

in a commune where friends & relatives come & go, just like the wind...

Posted by: reinventinggrace ( )
Date: January 19, 2018 10:56PM

Not me. I have 13 housemates.

I’ve only lived alone a few times. Didn’t like it.

Never been married either.

RG

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: January 19, 2018 10:59PM

My oldest TBM brother cannot live alone. He's always had to surround himself with people - whether roommates or family after he married.

He's a family therapist too. Just doesn't like to be alone.

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: January 19, 2018 11:25PM

I live with my mother, my parents are divorced, my father is homeless. both my tbm parents do not work, my mother may make a couple hundred dollars a month. they are both very lazy

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 20, 2018 12:13AM

I live with an annoying talking pet.

Posted by: txrancher ( )
Date: January 20, 2018 12:24AM

I lived alone for about three years after divorce from TBM ex wife. Married again a few months ago. Maybe not the brightest thing to do, lol, but she's good. I have had many prospects and enjoyed the single life to the fullest but getting older (48) and found a younger woman and can't complain.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 20, 2018 12:34AM

I live alone, with a cantankerous 23 year old cat, and the occasional Saucie McSauceSauce.

I revel in being alone. Saucie and I talk every night and often talking to her is the only speech I have during the day, except to apologize profusely to the cat for the slights she perceives.

I'm the happiest I've ever been!

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: January 20, 2018 10:27PM

I don't know what a Saucie McSauceSauce is. Is that a drink or the name of your cat?

I also live alone with the exception of my dog and cat.

Despite the fact that I am dramatic and animated when I am around other people, I like the quiet and solitude of being alone in my house with my animals.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 20, 2018 11:09PM

Saucie McSauceSauce es mi novia. ¡¡Que dicha!!

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: January 20, 2018 02:17AM

I lived the better part of 50 years alone. Eve. When I was with someone I loved.

Three years ago my kids moved in and now I'm helping raise grandkids.

Posted by: scmd not logged in ( )
Date: January 20, 2018 02:20AM

My sincerest condolences, Polly.

I live with my wife and two rugrats.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 20, 2018 02:37AM

I've lived alone for almost 14 years now. Most of the time, I love it, even when I'm not working.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: January 20, 2018 03:27AM

I lived alone for several years, when my children were scattered away at out-of state universities, getting their graduate degrees, new jobs, etc. I missed them, because they had lived here while going to the U of Utah, too, and our house was like a fun, but tame, fraternity/sorrority house. Then, all of a sudden--quiet!

They left me with two old cats, who lived to be over 20, and a fairly young black lab, who was my companion and security guard. She was a good listener, and was never farther than 4 feet from me. I have a very people-oriented career, that I love! I'm balanced between extrovert and introvert, so when I came home, my favorite thing to do was go hiking alone with my dog, in any weather, coming back to a warm, peaceful house, and have dinner in front of the TV.

I had survived two abusive TBM marriages (one husband beat me, and the other cheated on me), and living alone was like Heaven on Earth!

I raised my children here, and my doctors are nearby, the hospital, the fire station, grocery stores, the vet. I have a great support system, even though all the Mormon neighbors have been shunning me for 9 years. I have a few longtime non-Mormon friends, some cousins, and mostly work colleagues and clients. I have not been lonely, and never bored.

So sorry, Polly, for your loss. I can't imagine losing a husband you loved and who loved you.

Now, my children are all living back here, have great careers, are happily married, with children of their own. One has a house two blocks away, another is about 3 miles away, and my youngest and her husband and children live with me, and want to buy a house in the neighborhood. I'm happier than I've ever been! I wake up every morning to children's chatter, and singing, and I laugh a lot! Thank God my kids and I left the cult together, and broke the "cycle of abuse." They are kind, loving parents, and good citizens.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: January 20, 2018 03:40AM

I have a TBM friend who divorced her TBM husband, after their children were grown and gone from the nest. He is verbally abusive, and has a nasty, negative disposition in general. She tried living alone, in the big house her parents left to her, and didn't like it. So, she wangled her way back into her ex-husband's house, and lives there with him. She says that they hate each other, and don't speak, most of the time, and the neighbors can hear them screaming at each other, sometimes. He is very sloppy and dirty, and the house is a mess. She uses her big house as a "retreat", during the day.

I feel sorry for people who are so dependent on others, that they can't be alone. I know people, mostly women, who won't eat out alone, won't go to a movie alone, won't travel alone, won't exercise alone. Needless to day, these women have never had careers.

There are worse things than living alone. Living with an abusive slob that you hate, that's worse.

A postscript. This couple living together out of wedlock, complain that they are social outcasts at their ward. Their TBM adult children can't stand to be around them, so they have lost those valuable relationships.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 20, 2018 03:50AM

I haven't lived alone for quite a while. My son lives upstairs with me and my ex lives downstairs. I have my 2 dogs, too.

I do like my time alone and sometimes even that many people get to be too much. My boyfriend lives a few miles away. I get more than enough socializing. We tried living together and that wasn't so fun. ha ha ha I did spend a lot of time alone at his house in Colorado while he worked in California every week so i could babysit his dog. I didn't know anyone there and by the time he got home on Friday nights, I'd be really weary of being alone, which isn't normal for me.

The thing I did notice when I was living alone (and my ex lived in the driveway in his motor home), my house stayed clean. How would it be???

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: January 20, 2018 04:43AM

I live all one.

Posted by: commongentile ( )
Date: January 20, 2018 07:14PM

I live alone and like it. I have no desire for marriage or romantic relationships. I enjoy getting together with friends but am just as happy when by myself.

I do have cats, but even with those, they "came" to me. I didn't go looking for them.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: January 20, 2018 10:55PM

I also live alone Except for TK my Tom Kat

Posted by: anonyXMo ( )
Date: January 20, 2018 11:20PM

Always have lived alone and do now since my parents died (separately) a few years back. Distant relations in other states but we almost never communicate.

I live with an old calico cat who is nearing the big two-zero mark and my major phobia is that I will die before the cat, and if no one finds my body for weeks she will end up having to feast on my decaying flesh and they'll eventually find me (by smell) with half my face eaten off. (I'm lookin' over at her right now and I swear she's licking her chops but maybe it's my imagination.)

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 21, 2018 07:37PM

If you are a senior, check with your community office of senior services. In my community you can arrange for someone to give you a check-up call at an arranged time each day. If there is no response, they will send a police officer to do a welfare check.

That is one old cat. :)

Posted by: anonyXMo ( )
Date: January 22, 2018 04:57AM

That's a cool service. I was thinking of setting up some "dead man switch" like an email that automatically goes out to my friends if I don't log in after x period of time, but I'm worried I'll forget to log in or something.

Yeah I'm gonna be devastated when kitty returns to live with Heavenly Feline. Not looking forward to that day at all.

Posted by: abby ( )
Date: January 21, 2018 06:16PM

I wish I lived alone. It won't ever happen.

Posted by: JessUpNorth93 ( )
Date: January 21, 2018 06:45PM

I live alone for the most part. I have a renter in my basement but never seen them except to pay rent. I’m 24, never married, no partner.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 21, 2018 06:46PM

Does having a dog count? Just me and Dusty here since my wife passed away on October 17.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2018 06:47PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: fluhist not logged in ( )
Date: January 21, 2018 07:11PM

I live VERY happily alone.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: January 21, 2018 11:13PM

What I neglected to tell you. There are single men living on either side of my house, both of whom have begun to court me.

One, is a Mexican man who lives next door with his son and his wife. He has assured me he knows how to treat a wife, mentioning beating her when needed. (Maybe, in Mexico, this is expected of husbands?)

The man on the other side brought me a lovely bouquet of flowers, and offered to take my trash cans out front on trash-pick-up day, and to fix anything I need fixed in my house. (His ex-wife and teen-son live in that house, and his mother-in-law in the backyard garage, which has been turned into an apartment for her.)

BTB, I am not the least interested in either one.

Posted by: Loner ( )
Date: January 21, 2018 11:28PM

Divorced 5 yrs from a very rabid tbm. I am getting used to it. I do whatever i want, when i want and spend what i want.
I never knew what true happiness was until I got married.. then it was too late.
When I was married it was a threesome .. The church, my wife and me. I am so glad to be away from her and lds.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: January 22, 2018 12:56AM

I've lived alone about 95% of my life in the last 21 years, since I was divorced. I had roommates twice in Las Vegas, one was OK but glad it was over with.

The 2nd one ended up getting about $3000 from me...long story, prefer not to relive it.

I can't imagine ever wanting to live with another person again. I'm too old.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: January 22, 2018 01:22AM

I have been living alone for three and a half years.

Posted by: waunderdog ( )
Date: January 22, 2018 11:21AM

Except for a brief marriage, I've lived my entire adult life alone. I prefer it that way.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 22, 2018 12:27PM

I come home to a house full of women each day. :)

I have a son (who's 21), but he lives out-of-house while attending university. So it's my lovely wife, my wonderful 17 year-old daughter, my amazing 2 year-old daughter, and (currently) my terrific mother-in-law visiting from the Philippines.

My terrific wife, understanding the decided lack of testosterone in the house, gives me plenty of space to go play golf with the guys regularly -- where we can belch and fart and not clean up our messes with no guilt or shame. And I regularly stay with the other household females so she can go out with "the girls."

Sadly, though, last week I got some ankle surgery done (long overdue), which means no golf for 1-2 months (at least). I harbor a secret fear that at the end of that period, I'll be far too civilized, social, and clean. Just to be sure, I'm only shaving every 4-5 days...so I at least have the appearance of maleness :)

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 22, 2018 12:36PM

Somehow, I don't think that's a good test of how I'd feel living alone 24/7. It's hard to say how well I'd handle it on a permanent basis.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: January 22, 2018 12:52PM

Cheryl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Re: I've never lived alone, but I enjoy being home by myself.
> Somehow, I don't think that's a good test of how
> I'd feel living alone 24/7. It's hard to say how
> well I'd handle it on a permanent basis.

That describes me perfectly.

As an introvert, I think I’d enjoy living alone. But how would I know?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.