Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: January 21, 2018 02:04PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 21, 2018 02:07PM

I listened to you handle it quite well, mi vida. Other than that, I know nothing...

Date: January 21, 2018 02:12PM

You were wise and fortunate.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: January 21, 2018 02:16PM

Pure hell. Highly don't recommend. :)

Date: January 21, 2018 02:22PM

what were your symptoms and how long did it last Dorothy?

Hopefully you're better now.

Date: January 21, 2018 02:32PM

It's been a few years thankfully.

I got my flu shot this year, but I hear it's only about 10% effective. Better than nothing.

It started in my chest with gunk and a bad cough. Within a few hours I had fevers in the 101 range and I felt like a truck had run me over.

I remember calling my hubby and begging him to come home because I was too sick to get out of bed to fetch my own ibuprofen for the headache/body aches that were killing me.

So much gunk, I was vomiting. Delightful.

I didn't leave the house for 11 days.

I didn't feel like myself for three weeks.

I remember thinking, I'm in excellent health, this would kill anyone old, super young, or in compromised health.

Sounds like you're over the worst of it. No fun at all.

Date: January 21, 2018 02:37PM

Yikes Dorothy... you're sounds horrible.

Glad you're better!!!!

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: January 21, 2018 02:25PM

For me, it started suddenly. I woke up freezing, coughing, achey, and generally just feeling very ill. I spent the first day just trying to get warm. I had no appetite. By the second day, I knew I had to go to the doc. It was Saturday so I went to our local Insta-Care. Lots of people in the waiting room so I had to wait almost 2 hours to get in. I had to wear a mask and it made it hard to breathe. When I finally saw the doctor, it was confirmed I had the flu. My lungs were clear, thank goodness because I have a history of Pneumonia. I was prescribed Tami-flu and lots of liquids and rest. So, for the next several days all I did was rest and try to feel better. After several days, I started to feel somewhat better but it has taken almost 3 weeks to get any energy back.

I had the flu shot in October but I still got the flu.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 21, 2018 03:06PM

Date: January 21, 2018 03:27PM

If that flu is already rockin' and rollin', Tamiflu is worthless. If the flu is already having a party, the doctor can't/shouldn't do much. The flu is a virus. Antibiotics will do zip.

Posted by: scmd not logged in ( )
Date: January 22, 2018 12:58AM

Dorothy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If that flu is already rockin' and rollin',
> Tamiflu is worthless. If the flu is already having
> a party, the doctor can't/shouldn't do much. The
> flu is a virus. Antibiotics will do zip.

Tamiflu is an anti-viral. If it is initated very early in the course of influenza ir may weaken the strrain or shorten the duration of the virus.

Date: January 22, 2018 09:23AM

By rockin' and rollin', I meant that most people do not go to the doctor until they're in full blown flu.

I'm being selfish. I want to be able to go the doctor without the waiting room being full of people who are contagious.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: January 21, 2018 03:40PM

The doc told me that if I started on the Tami-flu within 48 hours of onset of symptoms that it would lessen the severity of the flu. I don't know how much worse it might have been without taking it so who knows?

Date: January 21, 2018 02:29PM

Yikes... I'm glad you're better now.

The thing that sucks so hard about it is that it seems to last

so long.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: January 21, 2018 03:59PM

I never get the flu shot because I don't trust the government after the swine flu they told everyone to get....and then said it was NOT for anyone with asthma or elderly. Problem was they didn't tell us that until a number of asthmatic children died. I had a child with asthma and just on a hunch did not give him that shot.

Everyone has to do a personal risk/benefit analysis, but I reason this way--anything they come up with and push that has not been tested over time as safe and effective, unless it's Ebola, I'm not trusting them.

We have learned they pushed Tami-Flu because they over-produced, expecting a big flu outbreak and then the flu that was mostly found was a different strain than the Tami-Flu. But that didn't keep them from urging people to get it, oh no.

Since the flu shot is 10% effective, the authorities now say to get it anyway because "it beefs up the immune system." Other sources say this "wrong strain" flu shot sends white corpuscles on a wild goose chase when they could be fighting the real flu that has no vaccine. They say no.

Apparently you can find an expert or statistics to support both views, so use the default Hippocratic oath as your core value: First, Do No Harm. If there is question, skip it and make sure you have maximized your immunity by eating a healthy diet and taking extra vitamin C.

Kathleen

PS. I haven't had a flu shot since the seventies and have never had the flu.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2018 04:00PM by anagrammy.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 22, 2018 09:46AM

anagrammy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We have learned they pushed Tami-Flu because they
> over-produced, expecting a big flu outbreak and
> then the flu that was mostly found was a different
> strain than the Tami-Flu. But that didn't keep
> them from urging people to get it, oh no.

Tami-flu isn't strain-specific. It never has been.
It's an anti-viral that works against all influenza A and B viruses. How effectively it works is open to debate (studies vary).

I get the flu shot every year. Most years I don't get the flu. This year I did -- but it lasted 3-4 days, and wasn't all that severe (peak fever of 102, body aches & cough only 3 days). That might have been because the shot gave me some but not complete immunity, it might have been that I just got lucky. I don't know.

Date: January 21, 2018 04:36PM

I've only had one flu shot in my life. This year I got sick

but I think it was a cold, not the flu. I took lots of vitamen C too.

Posted by: nofluplease ( )
Date: January 21, 2018 05:08PM

I always get the shot and feel like I get reasonable protection from it most years (including years when I had known close contact with a flu victim and did not catch it), but every few years it seems the vaccine is not a good match for one or more of the dominant strains going around. Last time that happened I came down with the flu. I know that year's predominant strain was an H3N2, like this year's is, but don't know how similar the two strains are to each other.

It was awful. Started suddenly with high fever, chills, feeling like I could not get warm, and just feeling very sick in general. A few hours later I noticed body aches and a bad headache. A day or so later I developed a sore throat, nasal congestion, and a horrible cough. My chest hurt. I had some nausea for a couple of days but think that was mostly due to the fact that ibuprofen would not keep my fever down until it was okay to take another dose and when the fever shot back up uncontrolled I felt sick to my stomach. These symptoms lasted a solid week, after which the fever went to just barely having a fever, the nausea and sore throat went away, and the body aches were milder. The headache on and off, congestion, coughing and fatigue lasted probably another week. The cough and fatigue lasted through week 3, after which the fatigue was much less. I coughed for three more weeks before it cleared, though I didn't feel sick once the cough was all that was left, just tired and coughing. I did not take Tamiflu because by the time I was diagnosed I had already had symptoms for more than 48 hours and they said it would do no good. My child who is high risk for flu complications due to underlying condition, was given a Tamiflu prescription even though he was flu-free because there was confirmed flu in the household. He took it and did not catch it. Not sure if that was due to Tamiflu or him getting just enough protection from the shot to squeak by or luck or a combination of all of that.

As miserable as all that was, the worst of it was worrying that I would spread it to my high-risk loved one. I isolated myself in my room, washed my hands raw, came out wearing mask and gloves while he was at school to disinfect any surface I might have touched, hauled myself out of bed to run outside for coughing fits in an attempt not to have so many droplets circulating inside a closed up house, and worried myself absolutely sick. It may not have taken so long to clear up had I not been so intensely stressed about him catching it and being unable to rest because of that(??). It seemed like it took *forever* to get over it.

My sympathies to anyone who catches this. It's bad. Hopefully people who have it will stay home, take good care of themselves, and not spread the misery around, especially to those most vulnerable. Take care.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 21, 2018 05:35PM

I haven't had the flu in years (that I know of.) I get the flu immunization intermittently, but not this year. The last time I got the flu, the symptoms were typical and it hit hard. I was down for about five days. The worst was the fever and chills. I felt like I could not regulate my body temperature.

I've been lucky, I guess. I hope my luck holds out. But I'm making up a fresh set of sub plans just in case.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2018 05:35PM by summer.

Date: January 21, 2018 07:45PM

Thank you all so much for contributing your experiences.

I think thats one way we can help each other is by sharing our

info.

Get Well everybody !!!!!!!

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: January 21, 2018 10:15PM

The flew is bad. Okay?

I haven't had it lately but none forgets the flew.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2018 10:18PM by readwrite.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: January 21, 2018 10:45PM

Does Tamiflu help?

Posted by: scmd not logged in ( )
Date: January 22, 2018 06:02PM

In most cases, if taken almost immediately after symptoms appear, Tamiflu does in many vases reduce symptoms and duration. The cutoff seems to be 48 hours, after which it is usually too late for Tamiful to be of benefit. Sooner is better.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: January 21, 2018 10:57PM

head and body aches.

I don't have any upper-respiratory symptoms, but have had miserable headaches that don't respond to anything, and whole-body aching, plus absolutely no energy and no appetite. And I have felt very queasy all day.

We are doing our best to provide symptomatic relief: Tylenol for chills and fever, and aches; Zyrtec for congestion, and something else - I forget which - for coughing.

He seems to be a tiny bit better today than he did yesterday, but maybe that is wishful thinking on my part.

We have both had gruesome experiences with pneumonia in the past, so we are watching for breathing issues.

This stuff is scary.

Posted by: Lumberjack ( )
Date: January 21, 2018 11:19PM

My symptoms began New Years Day in the afternoon. At first, some drainage and a scratchy throat. By the next morning I felt truly awful. Fever over 100, no energy or appetite. Achy, but ibuprofen helped. Gradually better over the next three days. By the sixth day it had morphed into a sinus infection and I felt about as bad as I ever have in my 60 years. My cough was such that I could hardly sleep. In fact, I could only sleep by sitting up.
I was able to go to the doctor and start on 10 days of strong antibiotics. In all, it has taken almost three weeks to get back to normal. This is rough stuff.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 22, 2018 11:23AM

My head and body ache ordeal started at the first of October. Felt like fuckin' death warmed over for 2 1/2 days and finally got out of bed on day 3. The flu shot wasn't available until October 26 up here so I got mine then.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: January 22, 2018 02:10PM

When I had it several years ago I had about 48 hours where I really thought dying sounded good. I have asthma so influenza makes it hideous to breathe. I had the shot and my doctor told me I had a "mild case". If that was mild I think a full blown case would kill me.

Everything hurt, I could not get a full breath, couldn't lie down, was sick of sitting up.

I was out of work 5 days. I tried to go back after 3 and my coworkers kicked me out and sent me back home.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: January 22, 2018 02:16PM

On my third week.

Began as a cold.

Then 10 days of low grade fever, body ache, chills and headache.

Turned into stomach flu. Occasional upchucking, ‘the runs’, gurgley stomach.

Now it’s weariness, tiredness, listlessness, no energy and headache. But stomach improved and fever broken.

Much better.

Date: January 22, 2018 06:14PM

Yikes !!!!!! you got every symptom of the flu!!!!!! That sucks

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: January 22, 2018 09:31PM

No flu shot no flu. Not because of a good immune system. I shun sweets, eat lots of raw foods and stay away from public places as much as possible. Also take high potency vitamin and mineral supplements.

Date: January 22, 2018 09:33PM

And my daughter, who is a nurse, said that they can fire her first before they force her to get the flu shot.

Date: January 22, 2018 10:14PM

My old hospital would require your daughter to wear a mask at all times except while eating. If she didn’t, they would fire her. The flu kills. My daughter is a nurse in ICU. Lately, about half of her patients started with the flu.

Date: January 22, 2018 10:19PM

Hope she's wearing a mask to protect herself from the sick patients.

Posted by: Anon4now ( )
Date: January 22, 2018 10:31PM

I'm a hospice nurse and December was the worst month I've ever seen. I lost close to 20 patients, mostly from the flu. Average is 1-2 month. It's really bad this year.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.