Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 29, 2018 03:46PM

He wanted to pick up a DMV booklet to brush up on driving laws to renew his license. Partially blocking the main door into the building a women stood with a full display of booklets. She offered to give some to DH.

Nope. On closer inspection, these materials weren't driving booklets in different languages. They were Watchtower propaganda books.

He told the woman, "NO," then had to dodge her and her rack to enter the building.

Sheesh, if I'd been there, I might have complained to a supervisor. I might still write a letter of complaint. Who should I send it to? The state DMV? The city? The local DMV address?

It isn't right for religious crack pots to set up shop in a facility taxpayers provide for the public good. JWs can be pushier and more sneaky than mormons.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: January 29, 2018 03:57PM

Agree its rude and pushy but there could be some ruling about religious access to public property that is keeping the state (didn't say which) from booting them off the grounds. Recall the brew-ha-ha about Hare Krishnas in airports in the 70s-80s (they even earned roles in the movie Airplane!).

Could be worse ... on recent business trips I was practically accosted on the downtown sidewalks of both Portland, OR and Austin, TX by pushy people soliciting for charities.

Date: January 29, 2018 04:02PM

If religious nuts have a right to use DMV property for preaching, then it's a right that needs to be withdrawn.

A DMV doorway isn't the same as a public street corner.

Posted by: NorthernLights ( )
Date: January 29, 2018 04:26PM

Is it in a strip mall or is it a stand alone building? Are there other offices/shops that share the parking lot? The DMV may not "start" until the actual indoor area of the building.

Calling the local supervisor may give you the answer you seek, at least may provide insight into why they have not been asked to leave up to this point. Calling HQ may only give you a "Thank's will look into it with no follow up"

Date: January 29, 2018 04:35PM

There are no other buildings anywhere around.

Thanks, I'll try to find the local supervisor's number.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 29, 2018 04:40PM

If your DH had to dodge her to enter the building, then it appears that she may have been blocking access. Yes, I would write a letter of concern to the manager of that facility.

Posted by: bluebutterfly ( )
Date: January 29, 2018 04:41PM

The last few times I've been to the local mall I have noticed JW info tables set up with people trying to convert shoppers! It's annoying enough that there are kiosks up and down the walkways with pushy salespeople trying to sell me a hair straightener or whatever, but now its religion. Unbelievable!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 29, 2018 05:08PM

The JWs seem to be getting more aggressive in their recruitment.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: January 29, 2018 05:29PM

They seem to be everywhere now. They even had a kiosk at a Florida airport recently with a big sign and even bigger toothy smiles. I did not see anyone approach them. The newest versions of the JW tracting has been to set up displays on sidewalks at public events. Every single major event around here and in Florida that I have attended in the past 2 years has had JWs with their propaganda and JW.org badges proudly worn in a monstrous font. They have stepped up their proselytizing.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: January 30, 2018 03:36AM

Posted by: BrightAqua ( )
Date: January 29, 2018 05:34PM

They have 2 kiosks very close to each other on The Embarcadero in San Francisco, across the street from the Ferry Building. Every morning, four people, two kiosks. I never see anybody talking with them.

Date: January 29, 2018 05:42PM

I looked at them and they took that as an invitation to try to engage me in conversation. I said no and kept walking.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: January 29, 2018 07:59PM

It would be trespassing &/or loitering on public property according to the local zoning laws. Freedom of speech is limited to time and place, as authorities decree. It would definitely be prohibited in a privately held mall. Those people seem to have zero shame.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 29, 2018 08:13PM

I know practically nothing about JW'ism, but I understand that the name is a description of what they consider to be their primary duty/function, to witness for JC.

I am under the impression that when you join, or at a certain time in your life if you're born into it or converted with your family, you have to prove yourself worthy of being a 'witness'.

Once you make the grade, a certain committment of time is required. Which is where the 'static' witnessing comes in, compared to the door to door activity...

Wussie JWs don't want to have conversations that they force on people, which is what happens door to door. So they set up the static posts, and put in their hours, sitting there grinning, knowing in their hearts that ghawd knows how committed they are to teaching, if only someone comes up to them. So the static effort covers them for 'witnessing', but it lacks the confrontation lots of people would prefer to avoid.

And I noticed the words/phrases "religious nut-jobs - crack pots", which obviously from my perspective they are. But it's fruitless to try to convince them that our judgment is binding on them. From their perspective, they are are just trying to beat some really, really long odds, of being one of the 144,000 souls to be saved...

All they want is to save themselves, and you. What nobility! They know it and nothing we say or do will detract from that.

Posted by: smarta$$ ( )
Date: January 29, 2018 08:20PM

Maybe we should set up kiosks with a NONE sign on the top, giving away booklets on evolution, the universe, ecology, history of religion, etc., partially blocking the entryway to that DMV, to test 1) how well any such "law" stands the test of time, and, 2) which kiosk empties first.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.