Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Britboy ( )
Date: February 01, 2018 01:35PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Gheco ( )
Date: February 01, 2018 01:44PM

Logan, Utah? Times must be tough.

Posted by: cainsdaughter ( )
Date: February 05, 2018 05:43AM

Probably 20 more missions will be opening in east and west Africa in the near future. Robbing the people the little money they have and "exhort" them to pay tithing so they can be blessed with prosperity because the kolobian mascot is pleased when his people die of hunger while he goes shopping with his most trusted quorum of the twelve penis holders including their mentally diminished presidency.

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: February 01, 2018 02:09PM

I think the church had to open a bunch of new missions to accommodate the surge of 18 year old youth suddenly going on missions.

It would appear the surge has finished its surging and is now limping.

Posted by: Visitors Welcome ( )
Date: February 03, 2018 05:09PM

Bamboozled Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think the church had to open a bunch of new
> missions to accommodate the surge of 18 year old
> youth suddenly going on missions.
>
> It would appear the surge has finished its surging
> and is now limping.

You know how in some years, you have more insects, or vermin, or moles in your garden than in other years? Some years there's just more inconvenience than other years? To most nevermos in the mission field, that "surge" was the same thing. More creepy-crawlies in your front yard than usual, but luckily, only for a season.

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: February 01, 2018 02:16PM

I remember when I was TBM and on my mission that the end-of-days would come when the mormons had a mission force of 144,000. Sort of like the JW's. I loved to see the growth in the missionary force in the 80's and 90's.

I would love to see the church go away but it will never totally leave. There will always be sheeple who want it to continue.

Interestingly, I could still be right about that crazy prophesy...

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: February 01, 2018 02:28PM

I hated that end of days talk. It was an effective control mechanism.

Posted by: isthechurchtrue ( )
Date: February 01, 2018 03:27PM

The troubling part of this report for the Mormons is that the 19 missions being closed are in the first world while the 5 missions being opened are in Africa and the Philippines...

This is just the LDS Church trying to prop itself up with large third world baptism rates...

Posted by: knight2284 ( )
Date: February 01, 2018 04:23PM

It appears I am the only filipino mormon in this exmo community living in the Philippines. I abandoned the mormon faith just recently!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2018 04:24PM by knight2284.

Posted by: You Too? ( )
Date: February 01, 2018 05:23PM

Welcome.

Posted by: lilburne ( )
Date: February 03, 2018 05:01PM

The more you can tell people the truth the more you can save from being robbed of their earnings and lied to. Share the CES Letter out there. You can do a lot to prevent others being abused.

Posted by: lilburne ( )
Date: February 03, 2018 05:02PM

What happens when your missionary force, your prime face to face sales people are now in fewer numbers and younger?

If they thought they had issues before with obedience and maturity i think they're probably about to enter a car crash era that they'll have to spin over.

Posted by: AmIWhiteYet? ( )
Date: February 06, 2018 01:00PM

Welcome knight2284. I served in the Quezon City Mission 88-90. It'd be great if you were one of the people I baptized but not likely. Either way, congrats!

Posted by: Rolled tacos on a sunday ( )
Date: February 07, 2018 03:01AM

Knight did you go on a mission to utah

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: February 01, 2018 03:39PM

Note how they are calling it adjustment and realignment. LOL.

When it comes to euphemism the morg takes the cake.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: February 01, 2018 06:18PM

An interesting note (as least to me): "The initial wave of missionaries has since receded to about 68,000 missionaries, as anticipated."

I don't follow Mormon propaganda except when it shows up here. I thought the expectation was to have 100,000 missionaries in the near future not 68,000. I may remember incorrectly. In any case, this number, 68,000, includes senior missionaries which seem to be making a larger share of the missionary force. The number of missionaries seems to be dropping in proportion to claimed memberships.

Posted by: Investigating atheism ( )
Date: February 01, 2018 09:31PM

http://archive.sltrib.com/article.php?id=2249417&itype=CMSID

"We're projecting out probably within four years," apostle Jeffrey R. Holland told a radio interviewer, "the base-line number for the missionary force will be something around 100,000."

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 07:40AM

Thanks for finding the 100k quote. I will archive this as a good example of prophecy.

Posted by: ehemaliger ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 02:43PM

We have always been at war with Eastasia.

Date: February 02, 2018 05:52PM

... But out in the mission field, it's more like Animal Farm.

Posted by: MRM ( )
Date: February 01, 2018 06:24PM

When the church announced that the age to go on a mission was lowered it created an influx of available young men. Not only 18 year old were leaving but also 19 year old who had not left yet.

A friend of mine was in charge of the living arrangements for the mission in this area. He was renting apartments and finding beds, etc.

I asked him what were the plans once the wave of missionaries was over. He looked at me like he had never thought about it before.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: February 01, 2018 07:26PM

I guffawed with great glee when I first heard of the so-called "Washington Federal Way Mission". Lol bye Felicia.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 01, 2018 09:23PM

How easy is it for someone in the know to look at a new missionary's call letter and tell him or her about how many converts they'll have, and what percentage of their time they will be spending on 'less actives'?

On this 'less active' thing, we would have been verbally scolded back in the day if we'd 'wasted time' on less actives, given that there was this vast field of people ripe for the harvesting.

And regarding the photo at the top of the cited article, the three native elders: The odds are so dang close to 100% that they are receiving a monthly stiped from the church during their mission and that it will have been the best job they'll ever have.

Date: February 01, 2018 09:35PM

(I used this already in another thread, but I'm right pleased with it!)

They could get to their 'projected missionary force (of) something around 100,000' if they lowered the missionary age to almost 15.

Posted by: edzachery ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 08:58AM

...don't give 'em any ideas, EOD! Besides, they'll be bragging that 68,000 is "around" 100,000, just to save face for Jeffrey "Jowls" Holland.

Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 09:23PM

Hey ElderOldDog how goes it?

I believe what you meant to say was...

They could get to their 'projected missionary force (of) something around 100,000' if they lowered the missionary age to "several months before their 15th birthday."***

Or so it seems to me...

###

***Most of those sealed to Joseph Smith were between 20 and 40 years of age at the time of their sealing to him. The oldest, Fanny Young, was 56 years old. The youngest was Helen Mar Kimball, daughter of Joseph’s close friends Heber C. and Vilate Murray Kimball, "who was sealed to Joseph several months before her 15th birthday."

Date: February 03, 2018 01:00AM

Bingo! Thanks for the exactitudiousness!!

Posted by: deja vue ( )
Date: February 01, 2018 09:55PM

Well that reduces the outlay in benefits to Mission Presidents and their family by 19. Another indication that the cult is tightening their belts as they lose members.

Posted by: anon – so sue me ( )
Date: February 01, 2018 10:17PM

"…as anticipated"

Funny, Prez Newsroom didn't mention anything in 2012 about expecting a subsequent rollback:

https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/church-lowers-age-requirement-for-missionary-service

I live within the boundaries of the CA San Fernando Mission. It's been around for about 25 years, so its closing isn't related to the end of the surge. Will the missionaries have to order new name tags?

Five new missions that will contribute next to no tithing for the foreseeable future… works for me.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: February 01, 2018 11:45PM

anon – so sue me Wrote:
> I live within the boundaries of the CA San
> Fernando Mission.

Valley girl here...

Is this (the MORMON-designated CA San Fernando Mission) a serendipitous name...

...or---perchance, or by design--- do the boundaries of the MORMON CA San Fernando Mission have any relationship to the historical boundaries of the REAL San Fernando Mission?

Posted by: anon – so sue me ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 12:15AM

I think simply because its major territory is the San Fernando Valley. The internet gods say that the mission home is in Santa Clarita, so I assume it would also include the Newhall-Valencia area as well.

Not sure where the boundary between the SF and LA missions are, but Mulholland seems like a good bet.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 12:47AM

anon – so sue me Wrote:
> I think simply because its major territory is the
> San Fernando Valley. The internet gods say that
> the mission home is in Santa Clarita, so I assume
> it would also include the Newhall-Valencia area as
> well.

I was thinking this as well...but it would have been kind of neat to have some historical overlap somewhere. :)

> Not sure where the boundary between the SF and LA
> missions are, but Mulholland seems like a good
> bet.

You are right!...Mulholland seems like an excellent bet.

So many times it seems like there is a whole different world on the other side of the mountain!

Posted by: Bentaylor23 ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 03:13PM

Tevai Wrote:
> anon – so sue me Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I live within the boundaries of the CA San
> > Fernando Mission.
>
> Valley girl here...
>
> Is this (the MORMON-designated CA San Fernando
> Mission) a serendipitous name...
>
> ...or---perchance, or by design--- do the
> boundaries of the MORMON CA San Fernando Mission
> have any relationship to the historical boundaries
> of the REAL San Fernando Mission?

Nice, I live in Santa Clarita.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 12:50AM

I want nineteen temples to close

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 03:46AM

Date: February 03, 2018 10:29AM

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: February 06, 2018 10:16AM

Or reduce hours to the bare minimum.

Sort of like a "realignment" rather than a reduction.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: February 07, 2018 04:22AM

They're real estate investments. And investments in the most die hard Mormons there are: the tithers, temple recommend holders who volunteer their time and talents (and money,) to keeping them open.

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 12:54AM

Is London South area a high income part of the city where homes are gated etc?
I am wondering why that part of London took the hit.

Date: February 02, 2018 06:01PM

My guess is that there's a London South and a London North mission which are being merged into one.

Not that I care, it's time for bed.

Date: February 05, 2018 08:02AM

South London is quite poor but with some rich pockets! But London South covers the whole of the south of England from Cornwall up to Sussex about 18 million people!

Posted by: perdition ( )
Date: February 15, 2018 09:33AM

They are disengaging from Britain. Their product ain't selling in these parts.

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 06:43PM

The Truth doesn't require a sales force of 90,000 salesmen to go out every day to sell it in order for it to get established. The truth gets established as myths get debunked and end up with all the other debunked myths, on the dustheap of history, where they belong.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 06:59PM

Truth

Posted by: Stubborn Apostate ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 07:29PM

^^^ This!

Date: February 03, 2018 03:13AM

And that is why religions are so fond of BLASPHEMY LAWS.

Blasphemy laws prevent the people from thinking for themselves, or even from comparing two faiths and concluding, "both can't be right. Both could be wrong..."

Posted by: ipo ( )
Date: February 03, 2018 05:18AM

Posted by: unbelievable2 ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 09:45PM

19 less missions and 20k less missionaries means the cult is losing big $. They are cutting their losses regardless of the cover story they use. That's good for the 20k less missionaries who can live their lives.

Date: February 03, 2018 10:56AM

They are closing Porto and Málaga, caralho!

First Porto. Portugal used to be the European succes story for TSCC. It had four missions at the turn of the century. There is only one left now.
Spain also had Madrid, BCN, Bilbao and Málaga when I was little. Now they are down to two.
So between them, the two Iberian countries have gone from 8 to 2 in only 15 years. Italy went from 6 to 2, btw.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: never mind how many members or even congregations TSCC claims. The number of stakes is a better indication and if you really want to follow the money, count the missions.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: February 03, 2018 06:04PM

I served in the Malaga mission when there were missions in Bilbao, Madrid, Barcelona and Las Palmas too. They made Bilboa part of the Barcelona mission and Las Palmas part of the Malaga mission years ago. Are they only having the Barcelona and Madrid missions now?

Date: February 04, 2018 03:33AM

CA girl Wrote:
> Are they only having the Barcelona and Madrid missions now?

Yes. And I had forgotten Las Palmas so I miscalculated in my earlier post.

So Spain went from 5 to 2 and Portugal from 4 to 1. Italy from 6 to 2 and similar stories elsewhere in Europe. Little Belgium once had TWO missions entirely within its own borders (the size of Maryland, the population of Ohio) but now the Brussels mission covers not only Belgium but the whole of the Netherlands and Luxembourg.

The good news for Euromos is that overthere, the "realignment" happened over 15 years ago, so there is now a whole generation of Euromos who do not remember the heydays of the 1980s and 1990s and who can be duped into thinking it was always thus, and elsewhere we are growing even faster.

Or as someone quoted: we have always been at war with East Asia.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: February 03, 2018 06:07PM

"The initial wave of missionaries has since receded to about 68,000 missionaries, as anticipated."

Please! That quote from the article is pure spin.

Date: February 04, 2018 08:09AM

By combining the London East and London south there will not be enough missionary's to put two in every Ward or Branch! So even more Wards branches to the wall in the UK ! Last year seven units closed to my knowledge! Let's set a goal of 14 for 2018! The population of the area is seventeen million! That's 250,000 per missionary couple!

Posted by: Leaving ( )
Date: February 05, 2018 08:07AM

"19 others will merge with other missions."

merge = close

Posted by: Paolo ( )
Date: February 05, 2018 12:25PM

My mission is finally closing, Bulgaria Sofia.

President Holland when he opened the only chapel in the country gave one of his inspiring speeches stating that the church and the mission wouldn't exist in Bulgaria within 20 years time. A statement backed up by my mission president. Guess they were right...

About time, it got annoying doing 3 hours of church each week for 5 people...

Date: February 05, 2018 01:07PM

I'm confused... what was Holland trying to say when he mentioned the 20 year time frame?

Posted by: Paolo ( )
Date: February 05, 2018 02:08PM

Basically that the people wouldn't accept the gospel and that the church would fail to grow there resulting in the inevitable closure of the mission.

Date: February 05, 2018 03:53PM

So in other words, a mormon 'prophet' finally got one right!! They need to play this up, to show how in touch with their ghawd they are!

Posted by: edzachery ( )
Date: February 06, 2018 10:44AM

So then it seems disingenuous for tscc to be opening a dedicated chapel in an area that was destined to fail as per the prophecy (and common sense). Planned obsolescence for the new meeting house? Maybe... Still, though, it seems odd to have a chapel for such a small number of congregants...wouldn't such a small flock normally meet in somebody's house, or a rented pub, or some other place where tscc didn't have to commit monetary resources to accommodate this small congregation??

And, just to be clear...we're talking about Jeffrey R. Holland, or "Jowels," right? I wonder if the Sophia Bulgaria Mission was full of patty-cake taffy-pullers?? How about it, Jeff? Are you out there lurking around RfM?

Posted by: perdition ( )
Date: February 15, 2018 09:31AM

They have a big effort underway in Eurasia- Turkey, Georgia and Armenia. Much of Europe is hostile territory-a no-hoper for the Saints.

Posted by: sharapata ( )
Date: February 05, 2018 03:07PM

Illinois Chicago West was always a misnomer because the mission did not cover any of the actual city of Chicago. Illinois Naperville would have been a more appropriate name.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: February 06, 2018 05:11AM

...because THE (MORmON) church is growing so fast !!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.