Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Paying Attention ( )
Date: February 04, 2018 07:52PM

is the best philosophy (dogma, doctrine, ideology, etc.) the one invented by the self?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 04, 2018 08:00PM

There's something for everyone, if he or she cares to warp into it. At least that's what I've learned from watching The Simpsons.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: February 04, 2018 08:05PM

I tried looking for the perfect guru or philosopher for years.

I found a lot of great wisdom and views that have influence me. However, there was always one thing or another with each one that I couldn't agree with.

No one else is YOU. I vote for the one invented by the self.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 04, 2018 08:12PM

Yes. There are many parts available for making your own.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 04, 2018 08:21PM

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: February 04, 2018 09:41PM

Not so much a philosophy as a set of skills for more effectively coping with human existence can be found in a book written by Don Miguel Rodriquez which he titled 'The Four Agreements'.

I was introduced to TFA soon after I first found this board.

I could write my own book on the ways that simple book has helped me to smooth out the daily bumps and ruts in my life's road.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: February 05, 2018 12:44AM

Paying Attention Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> is the best philosophy (dogma, doctrine, ideology,
> etc.) the one invented by the self?

Best philosophy invented by the self?

Honesty is the best policy. Especially with yourself.

No DOGMA, DOCTRINE or IDEOLOGY needed.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: February 05, 2018 01:35AM

Mine is the theology of Mary Oliver.

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: February 05, 2018 02:35AM

A very personal choice. I do not think there is any one that is "best".

Personally I have come to the conclusion that science and reason are the only philosophies and practices worth adhering to.

Posted by: incognitotoday ( )
Date: February 05, 2018 09:49AM

Self-mastery. Whatever that means to you. Some kind of love in the soup, too.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 05, 2018 09:53AM

How about the philosophy of "don't be a dick".

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 05, 2018 09:55AM

There are lots of good ideas in lots of "philosophies."
And some really bad ideas, too.

IMHO, if you simply "follow" what somebody else thought up (religion, philosophy, ethics, whatever), then you're missing the point entirely, and you'll never ever be a "moral" person.

Whatever "good" things are in various philosophies are there because somebody reasoned through what makes them "good." If you don't do the same with those ideas, then you're missing the part that's most important in my opinion -- reasoning things through. And understanding WHY they're "good" (or bad!).

Blindly following any philosophy, religion, dogma, etc. is turning over your reasoning to people who aren't you -- and who very often have motives for getting you to follow them that you might not like. Take responsibility for your own thinking and reasoning -- don't let somebody else do it for you.

Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: February 05, 2018 10:45AM

Take a look at utilitarian philosophy. I suspect you'll like it.

Posted by: philosophizer ( )
Date: February 05, 2018 01:05PM

12 Rules for Life

by Dr. Jordan Peterson

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 05, 2018 01:24PM

The Golden Rule.

Beyond that, read widely and choose whatever resonates with you. I personally think that the ancient Taoists had a good handle on how life works.

Date: February 05, 2018 01:59PM

Yes (maybe)

Yours

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: February 05, 2018 02:19PM

A couple of the best one's that worked for me are: "Always question authority". "To Thine Own Self Be True".

From my own experience I would include: There are no prophets of God. Avoid making heroes of humans. If anyone tells you he has the answers to life's greatest questions, run for the hills. He is lying.

Oh, yeah. If you have doubts, think about them carefully! Advice to doubt your doubts is advice only a huckster would give you.

Posted by: bishop Rick ( )
Date: February 06, 2018 07:56AM

Posted by: icanseethelight ( )
Date: February 06, 2018 06:13PM

It is a simple philosophy.

If it feels good, its OK as long as your actions do no harm to others.

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: February 07, 2018 08:36AM

Always fun to see what makes people tick...a great question is why the basic instinct is there to need one...seems mankind are such a bunch of lowlife dinks to each other that the only way to keep the asylum sane is to have little catch phrases to rehearse to ourselves every day...over and over and over...out of the primordial ooze a few seem to rise that work for the vast majority..but don't look too closely...they end up being dinks with an agenda that we'd rather not talk about...like mighty Mo marrying a toddler...and mighty joe marrying several...seems a common thread here...number one rule..ignore assholes that can't leave children alone...NEXT!...and when the gods left they gave man religion so they would fight and bicker forever...paraphrase from the Sumerian records...haha

Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: February 07, 2018 08:56AM

"First do no harm."
"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."
"Love is the whole and more than all"

That should cover it.

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: February 07, 2018 10:02AM

Why, yes there is!

And for a mere 10% of your annual net income...not gross income since I like you and am feeling generous...I would be happy to share it with you.

Posted by: gullwing ( )
Date: February 07, 2018 08:01PM

I’m not a stoic but Stoic philosophy has some tremendously beneficial aspects. The writings of Marcus Aurelius and Seneca have been very helpful to me for many reasons including healing from Mormonism.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: February 07, 2018 08:32PM

The Golden Rule and the Ten Commandments work for me, because I was raised on The Bible. These rules also bring about happiness, as well.

Obey the laws of the land.

I would go with the philosophy invented by the self--but only if you are mature and have developed a conscience.

My father was a brilliant professor, and after I grew up, he gave me only one piece of advice:

"Gather as many facts as possible, then do what you honestly think is right."

This goes along with my favorite quote of all time:

"To listen to the heart is the truest wisdom."--Leo Tolstoy

What you are doing now, Dear Paying Attention, is gathering facts. That's how I found out Mormonism is a hoax. I don't belong to any church. (Christ didn't belong to any church, either.) I believe in living in the moment, which, I suppose is a Far Eastern concept. I believe that there as many "Gods" as there are minds to conceive of God.

You are already forming your philosophy of life, in this moment. I also believe that an individual's philosophy is always changing, according to his/her experience and knowledge.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: February 07, 2018 08:35PM

Oh,thanks, people for the book recommendations. I will read those. More information, right!

Date: February 07, 2018 10:07PM

Kahlil Gibran - 'The Prophet'

M@t

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.