Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: February 04, 2018 10:34PM

The QB who can't be trusted gets busted.

GO EAGLES!!!!!!

https://www.azcentral.com/picture-gallery/opinion/op-ed/steve-benson/2018/01/08/steve-benson-cartoons-january-to-march-2018/109263642/

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2018 10:46AM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: February 04, 2018 10:35PM

Woo Hoo!!!!!

Date: February 05, 2018 10:36AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2018 10:45AM by steve benson.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: February 05, 2018 10:18PM

Since neither of my favorite teams even made the playoffs, it wasn't like I had a horse in the race, but I decided that Brady had enough Superbowl rings in his collection, and ended up cheering for the Eagles.

Great game, and goodbye to football for a while this year.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 04, 2018 10:37PM

It's not a REAL sport unless it involves brooms

and large rocks.

Date: February 05, 2018 09:07PM

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: February 04, 2018 10:41PM

WOOOOO HOOOOOOOO!!!!

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: February 04, 2018 10:41PM

My ear drums are still ringing!!!( Guess who my husband’s favourite team is)
I’m glad they won though.I like NE, but they’ve already been in it enough times.Now, were hoping the Flyers will make the playoffs.The poor Blackhawks aren’t going to go anywhere this year, that’s sad

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: February 04, 2018 10:48PM

Yes, very happy the Eagles won.

I have an observation and wonder if anyone else caught this. When the players are shown and state their college affiliation, I am almost positive that Kyle Van Noy just said "Brigham" and not Brigham Young. I wonder if he wants to distance himself from BYU.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: February 04, 2018 10:52PM

Huh??? Yeah, the Eagles won a truly entertaining game (I had no dog in the fight, so I just enjoyed watching), but...Brady was suspended for deflate gate last season. He then went on to get his fifth ring and fourth SB MVP.

If that’s getting “just desserts,” I’m sure every QB in the NFL would love to get a serving.

Posted by: Brady ( )
Date: February 04, 2018 11:41PM

Posted by: Curelom Joe ( )
Date: February 04, 2018 11:22PM

Yes, from thousands of miles away I didn't care who won. I've never spent a day in either Boston or Philadelphia. But I rooted for the Eagles for two reasons == to see the smirk knocked off Brady's face for just a moment, and so that 0.1%er owner Robert Kraft and head coach Bill Belichick would lose, for reasons I won't go into.... And they lost.

Shove it up your collective &^%, Patriots, Kraft, Belichick, and Brady.

Date: February 05, 2018 12:09AM

I hope all the players took a knee.

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: February 05, 2018 12:14AM

That was a great game !!!

And I believe all the players stood respectfully.

Date: February 05, 2018 12:33AM

Respectfully ? What is it that needed to be respected ?

Posted by: Jaxson ( )
Date: February 05, 2018 04:36AM

The national anthem and the flag.

Anything but standing at attention, in reverence, with your hand over your heart during the national anthem and the display of our colors is disrespectful to the emblems of the United States.

Were you sick the days they taught you that in school?

Date: February 05, 2018 05:38AM

Sitting on the bench would be disrespectful and would attract much more condemnation.

Kneeling is respectful. Billions of Christians have knelt in prayer, often before the most sacred symbols of their religion, such as in a Catholic mass, where at several points the entire congregation goes on its knees.

Kneeling on one knee is traditionally done, for example, when receiving a knighthood or other honor from the hands of a sovereign, when soldiers are praying in the field, or when a man proposes marriage to the love of his life, the ring held up for her to accept. Nowadays women love to post this moment on the Internet and thoughtful suitors arrange to have a friend around to take the picture as it happens.

Just this week I saw such a photo of the UFC fighter Paige VanZant being proposed to in this way (she immediately put the photo on Instagram) and a video of a Russian ballet dancer who proposed this way to another company member -- on stage, during the curtain call, after they had just danced the title roles in "Romeo and Juliet."

No, there's nothing inherently disrespectful about kneeling whether on one knee or two! In the NFL it has, however, been a means of peaceful protest through doing something different than the standing and singing and hand-over-heart (which, for the record, I always do), while signifying respect at the same time.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 05, 2018 05:45AM

I personally think that taking a knee is ridiculous (no one is paying a pro football player to display his political views,) but IMO a certain segment of the population gets very upset when they perceive that the flag is disrespected. I know that a number of fans in my area took a walk this season for that and other reasons.

Date: February 05, 2018 11:36AM

Nobody is paying them for being outside during the national anthem at all, rather than staying in the locker room until it's closer to game time. They still play a full game of football--all they're being paid to do.

They didn't join the army, they joined the NFL. Mandatory displays of public patriotism using prescribed gestures aren't actually part of the player contract.

I think that the kneelers displayed more moral courage than anyone else involved.

Date: February 05, 2018 08:59AM

Taking a knee has nothing to do with the national anthem and flag.
It has everything to do with police murdering unarmed black people.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2018 11:20AM by Dave the Atheist.

Posted by: Jaxson ( )
Date: February 05, 2018 11:46AM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Taking a knee has nothing to do with the national anthem and flag. It has everything to do with police murdering unarmed black people.

Yes...all of those murdered unarmed black people...at football stadiums. **rolls eyes**

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 05, 2018 09:14AM

Jaxson Wrote:
> Anything but standing at attention, in reverence,
> with your hand over your heart during the national
> anthem and the display of our colors is
> disrespectful to the emblems of the United
> States.

I guess you don't think US citizens should be able to think and act freely, but we all have to do what you say.

What if those "emblems" deserve disrespect, because the people who are supposed to implement what they stand for don't do so?

> Were you sick the days they taught you that in
> school?

Were you sick the days they taught the first amendment?

Posted by: Jackson ( )
Date: February 05, 2018 11:42AM

ificouldhietokolob Wrote:
> I guess you don't think US citizens should be able to think and act freely, but we all have to do what you say.

You should stop guessing. You're not very good at it.

> What if those "emblems" deserve disrespect, because the people who are supposed to implement what they stand for don't do so?

But those emblems DO deserve respect for what they stand and for what others (not some idiot football players) have done to to preserve their ideals.

> Were you sick the days they taught the first amendment?

YAWNNNNNNNNN

Date: February 05, 2018 11:53AM

another faux news groupie.
How's that putin working out for you.

YAWNNNNNNNNN

Date: February 06, 2018 01:43AM

. . . and set up your own dictatorship. Be sure to wear a tall general's cap with lots of fake ribbons and medals. And while you're waiting to be fitted for your costume, please read up on the so-called "flag salute" cases noted in the post below.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2018 02:10AM by steve benson.

Date: February 06, 2018 01:37AM

The U.S. Supreme Court actually ended up revoking its initial decision when it overruled its earlier position, concluding that, as a matter of state mandate, requiring students to salute the flag in public schools is an unconstitutional infringement on the individual right to free speech.

Donchya just hate it when the Constitution gets in the way?

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2018 02:43AM by steve benson.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 05, 2018 04:18AM

I would imagine a lot of exmos favor underdogs. We've been through that ourselves, every one of us.

It was a good game to watch.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 05, 2018 05:25AM

I just flipped the channel every now and then to get the score, but it did look like a good game. Way to go, Philly!

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: February 05, 2018 06:26AM

Considering he has won two Super Bowls since the now discredited* "deflategate" (damn that high school level science stuff...), I would hardly call it his "just desserts".

But I guess he can go console himself by staring at his five rings.

*(Remember that during the deflategate trial, a group of 21 Physics and Engineering professors from MIT, Stanford, Penn, Michigan, Boston College, Purdue, Cal Berkley, Delaware, Minnesota, and USC filed an amicus brief explaining the ideal gas law and disproving the NFL deflategate theory. The reason the brief made no difference is the trial was not about Brady's guilt or innocence, rather it was about the right of the NFL to impose discipline within the scope of collective bargaining agreement.)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2018 06:54AM by alsd.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 05, 2018 09:16AM

alsd Wrote:
> Considering he has won two Super Bowls since the
> now discredited* "deflategate" (damn that high
> school level science stuff...), I would hardly
> call it his "just desserts".

One. Not two.

> *(Remember that during the deflategate trial, a
> group of 21 Physics and Engineering professors
> from MIT, Stanford, Penn, Michigan, Boston
> College, Purdue, Cal Berkley, Delaware, Minnesota,
> and USC filed an amicus brief explaining the ideal
> gas law and disproving the NFL deflategate theory.
> The reason the brief made no difference is the
> trial was not about Brady's guilt or innocence,
> rather it was about the right of the NFL to impose
> discipline within the scope of collective
> bargaining agreement.)

Those "physics and engineering professors" showed that deflating footballs probably wouldn't help Brady.
They didn't show that Brady didn't deflate footballs. Or that he thought it would help him.

Way to go, Eagles :)

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: February 06, 2018 02:38AM

ificouldhietokolob Wrote:
> alsd Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Considering he has won two Super Bowls since
> the
> > now discredited* "deflategate" (damn that high
> > school level science stuff...), I would hardly
> > call it his "just desserts".
>
> One. Not two.
>
> > *(Remember that during the deflategate trial, a
> > group of 21 Physics and Engineering professors
> > from MIT, Stanford, Penn, Michigan, Boston
> > College, Purdue, Cal Berkley, Delaware,
> Minnesota,
> > and USC filed an amicus brief explaining the
> ideal
> > gas law and disproving the NFL deflategate
> theory.
> > The reason the brief made no difference is the
> > trial was not about Brady's guilt or innocence,
> > rather it was about the right of the NFL to
> impose
> > discipline within the scope of collective
> > bargaining agreement.)
>
> Those "physics and engineering professors" showed
> that deflating footballs probably wouldn't help
> Brady.
> They didn't show that Brady didn't deflate
> footballs. Or that he thought it would help him.
>
> Way to go, Eagles :)

Those physics and engineering professors showed that the balls deflated because of the cold weather, not from any sort of tampering. Oh, and even the NFL admits in the Wells Report that most of the balls used by the Indianapolis Colts that were tested were also under inflated. So did Brady cheat for the Colts too?

Sorry, but basic science proves there was no cheating involved. Even a seventh grader was able to prove this fact.

The perception of Brady being a cheater is a perfect example of of how people only see information that conforms with their fixed beliefs. You dislike Brady, so it is easier to accept that he is a cheater than it is to accept the basic scientific principles that prove the accusations wrong.

One last thing: The deflate gate game was played on January 18, 2015. The Patriots won Super Bowl XLIX on February 1, 2015 and won Super Bowl LI on February 5, 2017. Unless math has changed in a significant way that I was unaware of, that is two Super Bowls won since deflategate.

Date: February 05, 2018 10:51AM

. . . and ended up giving up contesting the slap-down sanctions.

Winning isn't everything. Brady's a loser in more ways than one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2018 10:53AM by steve benson.

Date: February 05, 2018 10:31AM

Trump supporter Tom Brady stripped of the ball in the final minutes of Superb Owl LII.

Date: February 05, 2018 10:57AM

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 05, 2018 11:19PM

That was weird. After he lost the ball, he threw an invisible ball.

Date: February 06, 2018 01:49AM

Damn, it must hurt to realize you're nothing but human.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: February 05, 2018 10:46AM

Now that's over we can look forward to the World Cup, a true world championship and a game of football that is actually played with the feet and where most of the game time isn't taken up with players standing around or in huddles. All this, of course, unless the Broncos are playing...either Denver or Boise State.

Date: February 05, 2018 10:54AM

"Several Eagles players have already said they intend to boycott the winning team’s traditional trip to the White House.

No one on the Eagles sat or kneeled during the national anthem this season, but several players raised their fists in protest, including Malcolm Jenkins, Torrey Smith, and Rodney McLeod. Jenkins led the Players Coalition, which secured a commitment from the NFL to provide $89 million over seven years to groups fighting inequality. Last week Jenkins and Smith said they did not intend to go to the White House if they won the Super Bowl."

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: February 05, 2018 11:22AM

He'll have to go home to his $6.5M mansion in LA and his supermodel wife and sulk. Next year, he'll break more records, put records already broken out of reach, and prepare for the 2019 playoffs.

The Patriots in the AFC Championship is almost a given, and the Superbowl a very strong likelihood. We'll have to see if the Eagles, good as they played, have the proven resiliency of the Patriots. Dave, I don't know anybody who has said NFL players don't have the right to take the knee. (Okay, maybe a few fringe types.) It's just that a lot of people find it disrespectful, repulsive, and inappropriate. Other people disapproved Tim Tebow's "taking the knee" as a sign of religious gratitude (which turned off this Christian, BTW). Then again, Red Sox slugger David Ortiz was wont to point to Heaven after hitting a home run.

NFL players, Hollywood actors, and others to take their opinions public, just as Steve B. has the constitutional right to draw and publish an irreverent caricature of Mohammed. "Je suis Charlie (Hebdo)," right?

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go lick my wounds...

Date: February 05, 2018 11:31AM

I find it disrespectful, repulsive, and inappropriate that police murder unarmed black people.

Tell us about blood and soil and how jews will not replace you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2018 11:35AM by Dave the Atheist.

Date: February 05, 2018 11:40AM

Yep. Cops' trigger fingers are just itching to bring down black dudes. Black cops, too!

So tell us how many black cops are murdering unarmed black people.

And while you are at it you can tell us why St.Louis has a separate union for black cops.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2018 11:44AM by Dave the Atheist.

Date: February 05, 2018 12:00PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
> So tell us how many black cops are murdering
> unarmed black people.

Don't have the data at hand. Years ago, greater inclusion of blacks in law enforcement was hailed as progress. Now they're denounced as Uncle Toms. Go figure.
>
> And while you are at it you can tell us why
> St.Louis has a separate union for black cops.

Unions are voluntary organizations, so who knows. I'd be surprised if they were being outright excluded from the other union. In Boston, Blacks and Hispanics each have their own advocacy/fellowship organizations, independent of the primary unions (There are three: Patrol Officers, Detectives, Superiors Officers), and include officers of all specialties and ranks. All organizations combine on certain matters, such as pay, promotion protocols, etc.

This subject can go far afield and get intensely emotional. With all respect, Dave, although there are tragic cases that can be easily highlighted, I maintain that systemic racism in law enforcement is a false, if widely propagated, narrative advanced for political purposes. Considering the legal, financial, and personal peril a cop faces when he uses his firearm, the last thing he wants to do is shoot anybody, and a minority adversary increases his risks exponentially.

Date: February 05, 2018 12:06PM

What about the white officer a couple of years ago who shot a fleeing black man (minor offense) in the back, then planted evidence next to his corpse to exculpate himself? Only caught because a passerby videotaped the incident--if not for that, he surely would have gotten away with it, as so many others probably have.

He came from a police culture that allows that under the "Blue Code" of silence, always has.

Date: February 05, 2018 12:27PM

As I said, you can find your tragic cases, but avoid generalizing from them. The Scott case was a clear violation of the "Fleeing Felon" ("Garner") rule:

1) The officer had no reason to believe that the victim (stopped on a vehicle violation) was a) a felon or b) an exigent threat to himself or others. (I've lost my share of foot chases, which sucks, but that's the way it goes.)

1-A) Officer Slager had Scott's license and registration. All he had to do was write the ticket, add "Flight from Officer" (or however it's phrased in SC), tow the car, and summon him into court on the increased charges. I've done that a few times, at least.

2) The civilian video was dramatic and valuable, but Slager would probably have been convicted of homicide without it. 8 shots were fired; even IF Scott had been dangerously aggressive, standard procedure is to cease once the suspect's aggressive behavior is neutralized/controlled.

3) The issue was bad training, or a bad cop who should have been screened out sooner, or both--not police lust for shooting blacks.

Edit: "1-A" added.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2018 12:53PM by caffiend.

Date: February 05, 2018 09:30PM

Date: February 05, 2018 10:12PM

Date: February 06, 2018 01:30AM

Oh, yes . . .

First, Brady was suspended for four games.

Second, the suspension was ultimately upheld by the courts as being within the proper purview of Goodell’s authority as league commissioner.

Third, Brady eventually quit whimpering, abandoned his futile legal challenges and accepted his punishment like the prima donna he is.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2018 01:34AM by steve benson.

Date: February 06, 2018 02:07AM

First, I don't follow football, or Brady, very carefully. My remarks are not grounded in extensive information.

Brady is quite the pretty boy, but I don't see him as a prima donna, expecting special treatment or privileges. He is known to demand hard work in practice. But he demands a lot from himself. Nobody is a natural champion.

He was accused of doctoring the ball. Like the O.J. trial, there are passionate opinions on both sides; I'm not going there. He appealed the decision, and lost. The Patriots won 3 of the 4 games, and went on to win the Superbowl. "Living well is the best revenge," as they say. Or winning.

Brady is a professional, and professionals lose, but five SB rings and three SB MVP's are hard to match. I think he'd agree with Michael Jordan, who famously said, "I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."

BTW, Brady still has the suspension letter in his 2016 album.

Date: February 06, 2018 02:13AM

And he sure is treated like deity by his faithful local Boston congregations.

Welcome to the real world, Tom: You lost in court and now you've lost on the field.

All the gold and jewelry in the world won't make up for trying to cheat your way to glory.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2018 02:14AM by steve benson.

There are super-high-net-worth individuals, call them the American oligarchs, who could buy and sell Tom Brady without noticing it (especially since the new tax cuts for them), and have even nicer stuff to look at all around them.

Many of them are despicable too.

Posted by: Lumberjack ( )
Date: February 05, 2018 11:39AM

The cherry on top for me was that an Arizona Wildcat was named MVP. Bear Down!

Posted by: GoPackGo ( )
Date: February 05, 2018 11:49PM

Let's not forget that Eagles coach Doug Pederson is a former Packer, who was a backup QB to Brett Favre. The Packers season effectively ended after that dirty hit by a MN Viking on Aaron Rodgers, which resulted in multiple fractures to his clavicle.
It's been a long time since the Packers haven't been in the playoffs. I don't like some of the Eagles horse-punching fans,
but the players and coaches are nothing like Brady and Belichek.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: February 05, 2018 10:07PM

According to the local media outlets, there is no other news in the world. There's going to be a big parade Thursday, which goes right by where I work. Hope I survive.

BTW Steve, whoever did the color rendering made the iggles uniform look blue, not green.

Date: February 05, 2018 10:27PM

I was using different photos as references, research and crosschecks spread out on my art table. Unfortunately, when photographs are spit out by photocopy machines, sometimes the color comes out in weird hues when the ink is absorbed by the paper, particularly if the paper is porous and without a slick surface—i.e., as with typical typing paper. In this case, the color of the Eagles’ helmet and jersey came out looking decided blue (as opposed to how they usually appear on, say, a computer screen.

Not being a devout follower of the Eagles (unlike I have been of the Cowboys, given that I was raised in north Dallas), I was not up to speed on their uniform layout. As I was drawing Brady next to Graham, I thought to myself, “Damn, their mutual blues are going to be difficult to distinguish from one another.” Now I find out I was using the wrong color on Graham.

My bad. My blue. I’ve since color-corrected the problem and resent it to the syndicate. Forgive me, Father, for I have synded.:)

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2018 02:38AM by steve benson.

Date: February 06, 2018 01:32AM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2018 01:53AM by steve benson.

Posted by: Jimbo ( )
Date: February 06, 2018 08:05AM

I really do not like the Patriots but Tom Brady is the best NFL QB ever . If you can name a QB who is better well just try .All of his championships speak for themselves . In playoffs and Super Bowls nobody comes close . He is surrounded by average players with the exception of Gronkowski . Hate on Tommy all you want but he is the best pro QB ever

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.