Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: February 07, 2018 01:12PM

I have shared with you before that my son inherited (through me) a kidney disease that, if left untreated, will result in death fairly soon. My father died of it at 42 (nothing could be done, back then.) My son will turn 42 in a few months.

His adult life hasn't been especially successful in a conventional sense. He was married once, and aside from giving me two beautiful granddaughters, it didn't work out well. His ex has done everything possible to alienate him from his daughters. (Fortunately, I am still close to them. I am their "Oma," who spoils them whenever possible.)

The one consistent element in his life has been the drive to work as a performing magician. He has done this since mid-teens, and he is good at it. Over the years, he has performed for school groups, Scout troops, been the "house magician" for the local Olive Garden, and most recently, been the co-owner of the only magic shop in town.

He has done time in cube farm-type jobs when he couldn't find magic gigs, but of course, that isn't where his heart is.

He had a gig last night in a very popular night club in our town, along with a young woman with a great voice, and a piano-playing young guy.

As it happened, in the audience was a woman who represents a major-league talent agency (they book entertainers for big clubs all over the country, and even cruise ships.) She talked to the three performers at the end of the evening. She gave both the chanteuse and the piano-tickler some sound tips on how to perform better.

For my son, she had only one question: "WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN??" She offered him a contract on the spot. He had the presence of mind to thank her graciously and say that he was very flattered, but he needed to review the contract with his attorney. (He really does have an attorney, but the guy has been his best friend since about junior high.) The agent wasn't put off at all. She gave him her card and said, "Please call me after you've talked to your attorney."

This sounds like a wonderful opportunity for him, and I wanted to ask for RfM support: positive vibes, crossed fingers, the works. This is my boy's life-time dream, and he is very good at it.

I reminded him of the looming cloud of impending renal shutdown. (It isn't just a possibility; it WILL happen.) He said, "Now I have a reason to start on the protocols. I have a career to think about."

Talk about magic!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: February 07, 2018 01:15PM

Congratulations to your son. To be in the right place at the right time--you have to show up.

He did!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 07, 2018 01:20PM

I hope he likes the contract and it all works out well! Thank you for letting us know.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 07, 2018 01:21PM

Great!
It's very satisfying to have your hard work be appreciated.
And paid for :)

Congrats to your son.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 07, 2018 01:49PM

That's lovely, Catnip! Great news.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: February 07, 2018 01:52PM

Wonderful news. I hope it's all he imagines. And glad to hear he has something spurring him on to taking care of his health!

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: February 07, 2018 02:04PM

Wonderful, wonderful news!!!
:)

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 07, 2018 02:06PM

See? Magic is real!!

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: February 07, 2018 06:57PM

Oh what a relief for you and your son..... That is fabulous!!!!

You and your son were due for some good things happening.

I hope it lasts and lasts.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: February 07, 2018 02:08PM

Great news...and so VERY wonderful for your son!!!

Tell him how happy for him we all are!!!

:)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.