Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Visitors Welcome ( )
Date: February 07, 2018 04:42PM

I've always thought of "race" as a social construct. I mean, sure, people can look different, but it's a spectrum, not well-separated categories. Of course I've mostly lived in "brown" countries, which helps to see the nuance.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: February 07, 2018 04:56PM

Many people didn't know they were partially black. Back in the segrgation days it was common for african-americans to always check and see if the white people they saw or had any contact with might have any visble signs of black ancestry.

There's even a famous case from Louisiana when a woman went to apply for a passport had to get her birth certificate and much to her surprise she was listed as black at birth even though she was white -- according to Lousiana's 1/64th law at the time.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 07, 2018 05:16PM

Well, 1/64th is better than the mormon "one drop of blood..."
But not much :(

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: February 07, 2018 06:29PM

Wow - so some white guy finds out he is partly black, and then blames it on "the Jews."

That is so creepy.

Until the Charlottesville thing, I thought anti-Semitism was pretty much over. I mean, one of my dearest friends in college was Jewish. She, my roommate and I were like the Three Musketeers. My roommate has passed away, but my Jewish buddy and I still stay in touch.

The fact that she is Jewish has never meant any more to me than her beautiful green eyes, her little squeaky-mouse voice, or her amazing Master's-in-English/Library Science degrees.

We used to joke about having to remain friends forever, because we know all about the skeletons in each others' closets.

My son's best friend is Jewish.

It just seems surreal to me, all these years after the horrors of the Holocaust, that there are still ignorami out there who hate Jews just because they are Jewish. How many times does history have to repeat itself??

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: February 07, 2018 07:20PM

Things have been unleashed that I never thought in my mind I would ever see in my lifetime -- in old newsreels or in books, but not in real life.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.