Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: February 08, 2018 01:39PM

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2018/02/06/mormon-church-interested-in-bill-that-could-prevent-recording-bishop-interviews/

Pay attention to the Utah State Legislature and you will see the slimy visage of the Mormon church lurking in the background.

Like an attack dog, the church sics out state legislators to do their bidding. It's getting too hot for the church with all the attention on invasive sexually charged worthiness interviews, and they seek to block recording conversations without the consent of both parties.

They don't care how this will affect other abuses of power, for example, unethical police officers and politicians, sexually harassers, abusers, and liars. They all will become emboldened and empowered just so the church can cover its own ass.

Please spread the word. Resist this if you can. The implications are incredible.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gullwing ( )
Date: February 08, 2018 04:44PM

I posted something about this yesterday. I talked to church PR and got hung up on (but not before the PR guy admitted the church does extend its influence in political matters). The ramifications are significant and go well beyond the church. I sent emails to the two Utah legislators (aka church stooges) that are sponsoring the bill and also my rep and senator. I hope many, many more people will. But, the church will likely get its way as it always does.

My wife recorded her ex-husband and this protected her and her kids in court. Now she would have run the risk of being a felon, all because the church wants to cover its ass.

Anyone up for starting a huge, uphill battle of a grass roots effort to enforce the separation of church and state in Utah?

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: February 08, 2018 04:54PM

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2018/02/06/mormon-church-interested-in-bill-that-could-prevent-recording-bishop-interviews/

May not stay dead, however.
"Rep. V. Lowry Snow, a St. George Republican who sponsored the bill, said he’s asked the powerful chair of the House Rules committee not to move the bill forward for now. He’s talking with the Salt Lake Chamber – the business group that Snow says asked for the bill – about whether they move ahead with a scaled back version of the bill this session."

Or he's talking with LD$, Inc.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: February 08, 2018 05:17PM

I see this as a good sign. We’re getting to them.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: February 09, 2018 12:30AM

Who scares them enough to make them so defensive?

See exhibits A & B:

A) NewNameNoah

B) Sam Young

Others

M@t

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.