Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: February 09, 2018 12:27AM

Will he try to convert Hope Hicks? Has he been called into a Bishop's Court for fornication? His parents must be so proud./s

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: February 09, 2018 02:14AM

He certainly fits the MormonCult profile of having the ablity to face people telling them he is innocent of what a good number of facts and a damning photo attest to --- his physical abuse of two wives. He lies without blinking his eyes too much.

The internet says he served a London mission for two years so there is that about his church activity, but I do not know what happened after. Was he married twice in the temple?.....now that would be very interesting to know.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: February 09, 2018 10:19AM

I was also wondering about the temple marriages.

Posted by: shannon (nlI) ( )
Date: February 09, 2018 01:32PM

Ditto, gemini...exactly what I was wondering. It's the reason I popped in here today. I'm betting SOMEBODY on RfM knows Rob Porter, his ex-wives, or their families.

Honestly, both of his ex-wives look like the types who wouldn't marry anywhere else BUT the Temple. And I don't mean it as an insult at all - they just have that fresh-faced, pretty, Molly Mormon look. But no matter WHAT their current or former standing is with the church, I congratulate both women for being brave enough to come forward with their stories.

The only thing I have to add is: "Run Hope Run!!"

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: February 09, 2018 01:53PM

I dunno Shannon. I saw this pic a few days ago, but in another site that I couldn't find today. This has no caption or location, but I'm pretty sure they said it was a church in Oxford.They didn't mention Temple. Does this look like a temple? Also not sure if this was 1st wife or 2nd wife.

http://www.elderstatement.com/2018/02/hope-hicks-new-boyfriend-rob-porter.html

Date: February 09, 2018 03:42PM

Nope, Nope, Nope and Nope....definitely not a Temple. Looks like Church of England to me???

And the second wife has long, dark hair (she looks a lot like Hope Hicks actually), so that must be his first wife.

WHO ON THIS BOARD KNOWS THE PLAYERS IN THIS STORY? Everybody is related to everybody in the Mormon church. I wish someone would come forward with some good inside info.

P.S. Good find on the photo StillAnon ;o)

Date: February 09, 2018 03:46PM

I'm gonna back that up a bit. That building doesn't look like a U.S. Temple. They are posing OUTSIDE of the building though...which is traditional for Temple weddings since cameras are not allowed inside.

Where's a missionary who served in England that can clear this up for us?

Date: February 09, 2018 03:59PM

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: February 09, 2018 06:26PM

I bet there is a former missionary companion/s who knew about his violent outbursts and abusive behavior.
Rob was most likely a zone leader or assistant to the president because he was so awesome.

Posted by: Hipmama ( )
Date: February 14, 2018 03:18PM

OMG Spit take on the AWESOME remark. Back when the church was true I served a Mormon mission in South America and it was one of the first English words Spanish speaking missionaries learned and was used profusely by elders. jajajaja

Date: February 09, 2018 10:30AM

If he's willing to pay tithing, I'm sure he's still in good standing. No matter how many women he's abused.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: February 15, 2018 11:37AM

Exactly. ESPECIALLY if they are in high profile (i.e. high paying) jobs. Why wouldn't he be an active member? You're not insuating that the church would see assault against a woman, sexual harassment or anything similar by a "worthy" penishood holder as reason to not push them up the ladder toward profithood would you? Their 10% is well worth overlooking the fact that they are just following Joseph Smith's example.

I have a cousin who was a judge in Weber county (Ogden), and I'm sure high up in the cult, and has been fighting a sexual harassment charge for years. It's kind of comical to follow it. It's gone to different civil cases and different defendants (the county being one). The county turned it on the woman in the very beginning. She has been waging a retaliation claim but they have some technical legal grounds to stand on. One being that the 11-page erotic love letter he wrote to her was something she found in his desk that she has no proof was ever intended to be something she saw. She claims it was placed there specifically for her to find it. And that is the only physical evidence they have (and it has speculative motives), everything else he did to come on to her is he said/she said. And in mormon terms you know that means Peter Prieshood said/ Sally Slut said.

The fact that he is married with a bunch of kids and grandkids and is writing erotic come-on letters to co-workers is not anything the cult would even begin to care about. Geez, if they disciplined every high powered mormon guy who did things like that, they'd be in bankruptcy court. Rob Porter also has nothing to worry about regarding his church membership unless he decides he wants out because he'll get better tail on the outside.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: February 09, 2018 11:02AM

As a teetotaler of alcohol, the fact he has an explosive, abusive temper with the women closest to him is a sign of a very serious mental disorder.

Mormonism will turn a blind eye to abusive men inside its ranks until called on the carpet as in the case of Porter.

He's a menace in any relationship going forward until he accepts full responsibility for his antisocial behavior and does the work to self-help to improve himself. The church can't fix him. Apologists aren't going to make him over. He has to be willing to do it himself.

So far he's in a serious case of denial. Another sign of a serial abuser. Mormons will give him a pass until they're forced to act. Maybe with the knowledge he's had an affair will call him on the carpet to the kangaroo court of "love." I haven't heard he was ever called in for his domestic abuse of either of his ex-wives - both Mormon women. But even a court of "love" isn't going to help him or fix him in his failed relationships with women unless/until he comes clean and gets help for his problem.

He was verbally, physically, and emotionally abusive according to both his ex-wives. One says if he hasn't already been abusive with Hope Hicks, he will be.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2018 11:52AM by Amyjo.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: February 15, 2018 12:02PM

Actually, the disorder may not be "mental" but rather may be due to a problem with his blood sugar. Specifically, When one's blood sugar is low, one's hearing and other senses are diminished and the person may become very loud, argumentative, and even violent. This often relates to alcoholism but actually is simply the effect of low blood sugar, a problem common among alcoholics but also among some who don't drink at all. The treatment? AVOID SUGAR. The problem of low blood sugar comes about when the pancreas excretes insulin, often even immediately after the sugar touches the tongue. Mormons are especially prone to this problem.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: February 15, 2018 12:07PM

In addition to my comments above, the problem with low blood sugar also is responsible for depression.

Posted by: You Too.? ( )
Date: February 09, 2018 11:38AM

Posted by: mrx ( )
Date: February 09, 2018 11:51AM

Rob Porter apparently becomes the most famous Mormon abuser of women, although I'm sure there are plenty more.

Hatch is clearly an enabler of men abusing women.

2nd wife (horribly abused verbally for over 4 yrs) had a good interview with Anderson Cooper on CNN. She met with Mormon Bishop and explained the terrible abuse, and Bishop did virtually nothing. Just wanted to cover it up and protect Rob Porter.

In the olden days (19th century Utah), Mormon men routinely abused their multiple wives with no repercussions whatsoever. 19th century Mormon clergy always sided with the man, and women were treated horribly in many cases.

In the official LDS Journal of Discourses, and in 19th century Mormon society, men referred to their wives as their "property."

Date: February 09, 2018 12:00PM

I was married to a spousal abuser.

When I was going through my divorce with my ex, the church leaders where I attended told me at one point during our separation that I had a "duty to go back to him, regardless of his domestic abuse."

I was like, f*ck them all. Major shelf break during that time of my life. It was a blessing in disguise. If not for that I might not have found the courage to leave.

The cult leaders were in no position to be marriage counselors. They were effing messed up in their own right. Hypocritical, self-righteous, smug and holier-than-thou where I attended with my children as a young mother.

The same people who threw the Jews under the bus during the Holocaust thought nothing of throwing each other under the bus at church. Who needs or wants that kind of church dysfunction?

Maybe Rob Porter's ex-wives have reclaimed their lives and their senses. God bless em.

Posted by: Atari ( )
Date: February 09, 2018 02:00PM

Sorry you went through that.

Posted by: allegro ( )
Date: February 09, 2018 05:15PM

Sorry you endured that.

"When I was going through my divorce with my ex, the church leaders where I attended told me at one point during our separation that I had a "duty to go back to him, regardless of his domestic abuse."

That was exactly the same thing I was told. My ex also had a Top Secret Clearance and worked for the NSA. We were divorced and evidently he was re applying for the clearance. Two men show up and ask me questions. I was honest and told them of the abuse. They wrote everything down. I asked if talking to me made any difference. One smiled and said they usually take ex wife answers "with a grain of salt", but there is something more to this. I think they interviewed the second wife and she gave a similar story(she was married to him at that time and he was abusing her).

Even so, he got the Top Secret Clearance. I get how Porter was in the WH with ex wives telling the FBI of the abuse. The government is also a "good ole boy" society. That may be why Mormons do well working in government jobs.

Date: February 09, 2018 11:19PM

That is most interesting.

My ex is a pathological liar I came to learn as we were separating.

He'd made up a whole story about his parents having died in a car crash, by time we met in college.

After we separated I learned from one of his relatives they were living and well - neither were dead. They'd been divorced since he was a little boy. His telling me the story of the auto crash with details was the only time I saw him cry real tears. Creepy.

Later he applied to work for a national intelligence agency in counter-intelligence, after we married. After I learned of his lies, I went to the intelligence agency where he was applying for his security clearance (he's from another country.) The woman in personnel told me he sat in her office and told her the same story he told me in detail about the automobile crash that never happened; crying real tears.

He didn't pass the background check. He was sent here to study in our universities and then return to his country to work in counter-intelligence there against our country. When he instead defected to become a US citizen.

That he became abusive after our marriage was the turning point for me. He was like Rob Porter in that he refused to own up to it and take responsibility for his actions. At that point I knew the marriage was over (or it had never really begun owing to the lies and the subsequent abuse.)

The cult is an enabler for domestic abusers. It enables them while further victimizing the women who tolerate it. I was not going to subject myself to that. Too damn ornery to be mistreated. Knowing it would affect my children negatively also was the other motivating factor. The church cares more for its image than it does for people. My children and myself came first, as it should be.

Posted by: Anon18 ( )
Date: February 09, 2018 06:52PM

Rob Porter should have really met up with a woman like Jody Arias.

Posted by: Anon18 ( )
Date: February 09, 2018 06:58PM

Rob Porter's first wife's name Colbie Holderness sounds like Katniss Everdeen from The Hunger Games.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: February 09, 2018 11:36PM

One of the commentators I listened to today who knows the family (is friends with the father) said that Porter's mother had passed away recently.

Posted by: auntsukey ( )
Date: February 11, 2018 10:29AM

I heard the same commentator. He's someone whose opinion I trust. He spoke highly of Roger B. Porter.

I wonder about the pressure Rob was under to live up to his father's persona. No excuse, just part of a possible explanation for his volatility.

See the youtube video I posted below.

Posted by: allegro ( )
Date: February 10, 2018 03:36PM

Wow Amyjo. The second wife had pictures and took the ex to court(I was too scared) and won. He got probation and anger management. The Bishop continued to sing his praises. Then married again and abused the 3rd wife, but she fights back and they are still married. All temple marriages and still gets Top Secret Clearances. He was never disciplined in the church.

This Porter situation is one I am watching. I did not have proof, and I was too afraid to say anything to authorities, but it happened. In his case there are pictures. I want to see if anything is done to him as far as the church is concerned. If he does not get his clearance, and there are pictures, I wonder if that will be enough for excommunication. Hopefully he will be.

Posted by: anon1982 ( )
Date: February 15, 2018 06:05AM

Not much to add but Rob was in my former ward for a couple of years when he was studying in Oxford. He was only there once or twice a month if that and was most often away/travelling elsewhere.

It’s a common name so I’ve only just realised that it was the same guy from the news stories I’ve been hearing. I since sent his photo to a couple of ward member friends who didn’t even recognise him at all and had no recollection of him.

Whilst here he had some YSA rep or young married’s rep calling (can’t recall if he was actually married at the time but he was often with a blonde lady who also kept a low profile - it may have been his first wife) but didn’t really fulfil the calling in any way at all as he was barely around and visible.

I seem to remember the Bishop fawned over him a bit and treated him like royalty, giving him a lot of leeway and excusing his lack of effort, so he obviously knew his background and links.

I would have briefly talked with him a few times. Seemed pleasant enough. A little aloof perhaps but the most remarkable thing about him is just how little impact he made in the ward compared to most other students who you get to know much better. I don’t remember him ever giving a talk or saying anything in a lesson (sometimes he’d just turn up a little late for sacrament meeting only).

Perhaps he enjoyed the greater anonymity in a new ward away from home and wanted it that way. No idea if he was really mentally active during his stay or not. At the time I and others would have assumed he was active as we imagined he wouldn’t otherwise have bothered coming out at all. There were certainly enough other students who upon commencing university and leaving home, never once set foot in the chapel.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: February 15, 2018 09:09AM

I guess we'll eventually find out why the FBI held back this information about domestic abuse for almost a year. Embarrassing an administration perhaps? Who knows.

Rob Porter will move on to something else.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 15, 2018 10:20AM

Phazer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I guess we'll eventually find out why the FBI held
> back this information about domestic abuse for
> almost a year. Embarrassing an administration
> perhaps? Who knows.

They didn't hold back any information.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/13/fbi-contradicts-white-house-on-rob-porter-probe-timeline.html

> Rob Porter will move on to something else.

Nothing that involves women or national security or honesty, hopefully...

Date: February 15, 2018 02:58PM

The FBI was concerned about blackmail and never made a final judgment to deny a security clearance all the while Porter maintained his interim Security Clearance.

I've long known just because an official goes before a committee and swears to tell the truth...I know better than to believe them.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 15, 2018 05:35PM

The FBI does not make "final judgments" about security clearances. Those are done in the White House. The FBI finalized its report to the White House last July, including explicit warnings that about Porter. The White House refused to act.

Perhaps "an official" will go before a Congressional committee and dissemble, as you suggest, but what is remarkable here is that the president keeps appointing Republicans to the top reaches of the intelligence agencies, men whom he praises, and yet within months they are all saying the same thing.

There are two possible explanations for that concurrence. Either every single Trump appointee is brainwashed into accepting the same false story, or the story is in fact true. I have no doubt which Ockham would find more logical.

Date: February 15, 2018 08:19PM

Whatever the reason Porter is gone.

He will be replaced and it will be all rainbows and sunshine. Lol

Posted by: brigham666 ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 12:47PM

Phazer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I guess we'll eventually find out why the FBI held
> back this information about domestic abuse for
> almost a year. Embarrassing an administration
> perhaps? Who knows.
>
> Rob Porter will move on to something else.

Remember, this is the same FBI that came out about 10 days before the elction and announced publicly that Hillary Clinton was under investigation for possible Criminal activity.

They said nothing about T-Rump.

I know a number who voted for TheRump because of the fear Clinton would not be able to take office if the FBI pushed for an indictment.

Their reasoning makes sense. WHY would the FBI publicly announce it if they had no facts to back it up?

I know there are probably many who voted for the bum after this was made public.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.