Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: February 10, 2018 03:52PM

I just read a piece on the funeral services this morning for Mormon billionaire, Jon Huntsman, on the KSL.com website.

The article talked about some speeches made and that all 7 of his children spoke of his goodness but not much about his business acumen. That’s pretty obvious since the services were held in the Huntsman Center, named for him after a big donation. Here are some pieces in quotes, directly from their website.

“The service was presided by President Russell M. Nelson, president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, who read from a letter given from the church’s first presidency to the Huntsman family.” That surprised me a little since although he was an active member, I didn’t know that the President would preside over a service not held in an official church building.

“Elders Dieter F. Uchtdorf (see, they didn’t take me off the roster completely) and Ronald A. Rasband (I’m sure this means that I’m going to be the next one of the 12. Not sure I can wait until April) offered the invocation and benediction at the service.

I’m probably being a little too sarcastic because I think he was a decent man. I hope he was able to convince his son not to run for Utah senator when Orrin is gone. Maybe he’d be better than Mitt?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 10, 2018 04:15PM

Well, when the widow with her mite dies I'm sure Nelson will preside over that funeral as well. God, after all, is no respecter of persons.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: February 10, 2018 08:04PM

SLAAAA BAM BAAAAAA!!!!!!

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: February 10, 2018 06:51PM

Wristband is already an apostle.
He was probably selected to speak because he used to be an executive at Huntsman Chemical.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: February 10, 2018 07:20PM

Thanks. I didn't know that.

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: February 10, 2018 11:20PM

Yeah, he was President and CEO. Also on the Board of Directors.

Posted by: cinda JVPMJ ( )
Date: February 10, 2018 08:06PM

Actually the Cancer Institute was not just named after Jon Huntsman because if a large donation. The Huntsman Cancer Institute was the brainchild of, and started by, Jon Huntsman :)

Date: February 10, 2018 08:11PM

memikeyounot Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I’m probably being a little too sarcastic
> because I think he was a decent man. I hope he was
> able to convince his son not to run for Utah
> senator when Orrin is gone. Maybe he’d be better
> than Mitt?

You are completely missing the potential for epic national and world embarrassment and humiliation for LD$ inc that a running public spat between Trump and Utah Senator Rmoney could be.

Date: February 11, 2018 02:38AM

when I was a student at the University of Utah in the 1980's, the LDS institute had Jon Huntsman Sr speak at a fireside. it was an interesting talk, and Huntsman came across as a very likable, genuine and caring person .....and that was at a time when I had a gut full of MORmON authority figures asserting themselves and telling me what I needed to do .....for what was really their benefit, as they had infinitely more than I did as a financially destitute, struggling new RM.

Huntsman had been a mission president for Washington DC, as well as being a veritable big shot in government, yet he still did not exude the typical arrogance of those kinds of figures.

I still remember several major components of his talk. Huntsman mentioned the importance of paying tithing. Of course, LD$ inc insists that personal seasons of being financially destitute are good for building individual character, but somehow that NEVER means that LDS inc is supposed to do with out their full share no matter how small it might be at any given time. In fact, IF any money does come in during desperate times, LD$ Inc insists that they get "their" cut first. How convenient for them !!!!

Tithing is a very interesting topic to me, because I see LD$ inc demands for money as "offerings" as nothing less than an act of terrorism, because saying that people who do not pay could / might/ will end up being incinerated alive is a terrorist ploy. The fact that Jesus is the One Who will be doing the burning/ strong arm enforcement on the matter somehow makes the terrorist arrangement acceptable ......except that it really DOES NOT !!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xaYMdHNILw

It is expensive and difficult to get a college education, but the LD$ inc demand for MOReMONey never subsides not even during that time of difficulty..... or any other family emergency. The longer that I live the more stultifying it is to me that LD$ Inc can be that rigid, unrelenting and demanding, and that their (brain dead) MORmON followers will tolerate that kind of heavy handed treatment.

Huntsman noted that paying tithing was very important. To back up the/his point he noted how he had been asked if he was full tithe payer in a very unusual setting -when being interviewed to be a cabinet member for the Nixon administration. Huntsman assured his young audience that his non MORmON interviewers where quite impressed with Huntsman's faithfulness in paying tithing to his church. According to Huntsman his non member interviewers were very well aware of using tithe paying as a gauge of individual faithfulness/integrity/devotion of those with in the MORmON religion. According to Huntsman, his reported faithfulness in that regard turned out to be the very key to his being selected for a cabinet position with the Nixon administration.

As a still impressionable/ gullible young person, I took such commentary coming from such a notable figure quite seriously. Look back as a middle age person with a lot more mileage and a lot more personal experience under my belt, I see Huntsman's commentary back then a lot differently now. It is quite flawed, so ridiculous that it is perhaps even comedic IF the misery that it invoked can be ignored.

When Huntsman spoke it was:
AS IF the Nixon administration really did have a lot of concern with honesty and personal integrity. (although they were concerned with blind loyalty that they could manipulate and exploit)

AS IF Huntsman really was paying 10 per cent (and more) of his income to LD$ inc in the same way that MORmON members like my MORmON parents did, with money that really really mattered / heavily registered with family finances.

AS IF the tithing that Huntsman had spoken of his paying really was more meaningful/PAINFUL than a token payment for him, because legit business concerns /corporations are NOT turning over 10 percent of their gross income to another corporation, unless it is some kind of underhanded money laundering scheme.

When some MORmON like Huntsman or Steve Young or Larry (very dead) Miller or Rmoney or some other MORmON corporate head says that they pay tithing on their income, they mean their designated personal salary, NOT the earnings of their corporation or other corporate earnings that they may get. The money that they are speaking of is highly qualified. It is one account of many in vast financial reservoir. It is money that is designated as their annual personal salary, which is essentially their pocket money for the year, as their corporation is also paying for all of their business expenses which also just happens to completely cover their living expenses.

AS IF that manipulation as spoken to a vulnerable young MORmON audience was not just an extension of the cruel MORmON style abuse that the young MORmON listeners were already being subjected to.

Huntsman does get a bit of a reprieve (compared to an actual MORmON ASSpostHOLE) because he did end up giving away so much of the wealth that he had to truly benevolent concerns (so UNLIKE any MORmON ASSpostHOLE). And because his tune on MORmON tithing dramatically changed over time to be much more accurate on the matter, to end up being something that predatory LD$ inc leaders could NOT be very happy with.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewcave/2014/06/23/giving-to-your-church-doesnt-count-jon-huntsman-snr-and-twitters-biz-stone-on-new-philanthropy/#69a3fd773e11

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: February 10, 2018 08:50PM

"That surprised me a little since although he was an active member, I didn’t know that the President would preside over a service not held in an official church building."

Are you kidding? He was a billionaire that also gave generously to the church. Nelson would speak if his funeral was held in a pig sty. I wonder if they've asked the family if they can still use his jets?

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 10, 2018 09:35PM

I know he helped out a lot of people through his cancer research centre. I know of at least one family where he personally intervened to get the ball rolling. He didn't have to, but he did because he could.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: February 10, 2018 11:26PM

Jon Huntsman helped a friend of mine, who is also a friend of his. She had a bad type of cancer, and he flew her in his jet to The Huntsman Cancer Center, and paid for the best room, etc. She is cured, and is still cancer-free.

On the downside, the beginnings of his business were very dubious. I know of his "errors", because my grandfather was on the board of directors of a company he harmed. He got away with it, because of family and church connections.

Huntsman Chemicals is one of the largest polluters in the World!

There's good and bad in most highly successful people, I suppose, but I know plenty that are almost ALL good, and those are the ones I revere.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: February 11, 2018 07:44AM

But, but, but... did they conduct the funeral like a missionary presentation, with talks all about the church and the temple and tithing, like they are supposed to??? I sure hope they didn't mention a thing about the man's life work or his personal history, because that would be just too worldly, and we can't have that now, can we???

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: February 11, 2018 11:07AM

And to think his poor son has been swept up in latter day call to duty.

Let us pray that his good family name may stay above the fray.

Posted by: gullwing ( )
Date: February 12, 2018 04:54PM

I never met him and haven't spent much time researching him, but I still have nothing but favorable impressions. And those that I know that have met or knew him all liked him.

Since leaving the church and the absolute disdain and distrust I have for GAs I still liked him. He, and his father-in-law, Elder Haight, were the visiting GAs at my father's stake conference a few years ago. My dad, who although active, wasn't often impressed by GAs, but was really impressed by Huntsman. There was a Q&A session as they sometime do but instead of giving the typical patent, weak answers or avoidance of answering uncomfortable questions, Huntsman was very sincere and forthright. He wasn't afraid of any questions and gave a no bullshit.

I read where he, and especially Jr. (I'm not necessarily a fan and am not a republican) despite their close connection to church leadership and service, don't always adhere to all things Mormon and aren't afraid to question. What did impress me more than anything, and even surprised me, was when he personally let his opinions and indignation known with the recent leadership fiasco at the Cancer Institue. He very publically didn't pull any punches and personally righted a wrong. What I saw was a man of genuine integrity.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.