Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Skybolt ( )
Date: February 11, 2018 02:20AM

What is it with Mormons, especially the lower class ones, being obsessed with those so called "essential" oils? I have even witnessed some of these ignorant dorks trying to play doctor with them, very scary.

One dim-bulb graduate of BYU showed me an idiotic book written by this Gary Young character where he went to Egypt and was given the secrets of magic oil potions by an Egyptian tour guide. I swear, I am not making this up!

There are also a lot of MLM aspects to selling these snake potions that attracts Mormons like flies to feces. Perhaps they should just go see a regular doctor.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: angela ( )
Date: February 11, 2018 04:23AM

That whole fad is not unique to Mormons. Not by a long shot

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 11, 2018 09:30AM

I read somewhere that when put into a diffuser, some essential oils can be very toxic to pets. IDK if it's true on not.

Date: February 11, 2018 11:32AM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I read somewhere that when put into a diffuser,
> some essential oils can be very toxic to pets. IDK
> if it's true on not.

It's very true

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: February 11, 2018 11:55AM

Not nearly as toxic as burning paraffin wax scented with chemicals containing phthalates that are also toxic when burned. Paraffin scented candles are a significant source of indoor air pollution.

Safe alternatives include beeswax candles, palm oil candles but not soy because of chemicals in the wicks. There are sources of sustainably sourced palm oil. Good luck finding them.

Stating that essential oils are toxic to pets is inaccurate. Only completly refraining from use of all perfumes in the household would be safer. This would include air fresheners of all types and fabric fresheners like febreeze.

Using grapefruit, pine, or rose oil is not toxic to pets. That’s an absurd claim.

Date: February 11, 2018 12:05PM

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/essential-oil-and-liquid-potpourri-poisoning-in-dogs

"Many liquid potpourri products and essential oils, including oil of cinnamon, citrus, pennyroyal, peppermint, pine, sweet birch, tea tree (melaleuca), wintergreen, and ylang ylang, are poisonous to dogs. Both ingestion and skin exposure can be toxic."

"Essential oils and liquid potpourris contain chemicals that are rapidly absorbed orally or through the skin. Many of these chemicals are metabolized through the liver.Very young dogs and puppies, and dogs with liver disease are more sensitive to their effects. Liquid potpourri and some essential oils can also irritate or burn the skin and mouth.
Only a couple of licks or a small amount on the skin could be harmful to a dog.
Only a couple of licks or a small amount on the skin could be harmful to a dog, depending on the ingredients in a specific product and how the pet is exposed."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2018 12:05PM by angela.

Date: February 11, 2018 01:52PM

Water is toxic in the excessive quantities.

Are you saying there is no continuum of toxicity?

I would not spray pine oil in my dog’s face. I also wouldn’t eat coconut oil as it is full of saturated fat. Another ‘health ‘ fad. I would use grapefruit oil in a diffuser with the dog in the room.

Do you refrain from using any chemicals around your pets? Taken down your vinyl shower curtain? Only clean with doap nuts, vinegar and baking soda? I could go on.

Who said essential oil were a low class mormon thing? Observation based on what?

Who defined “essential” as essential to life? Where did that come from? I don’t think that’s what it means.

I use essential oils occasionally. I think they smell nice and don’t want indoor air pollution so don’t use paraffin candles. I get my essential oils generally from amazon where they are signifantly cheaper than the local mlm. Plus I don’t know anyone in an mlm to buy them from.

Posted by: edzachery ( )
Date: February 12, 2018 12:54PM

Hi, CateS.

I have to disagree with you on your coconut oil comment. Yes, coconut oil is chocked full of saturated fat...BUT, the fat in coconut oil is Medium-Chain Triglycerides (MCTs), which the body is able to use immediately, without storing it away as normal Long-Chain Triglycerides (fats), which is stored in adipocytes and, ultimately, adipose tissue (body fat) within the human body. You might want to do a little searching for MCTs on the internet. And enjoy coconut oil!!

Another thing for this thread to consider: one or more of the MLM essential oil suppliers and hucksters in Utah pride themselves on the phrase "Therapeutic Grade" for their products. This is a trademarked fallacy and has no actual meaning or importance for efficacy of the oils from herbs & plants. "Therapeutic Grade" means squat, nada, zilch, nothing.

I have 10+ years of essential oil experience under my belt, as well as a doctorate in organic chemistry (of essential oils!), so I think I'm able to speak intelligently on this topic. Let me know if you have any questions. Best regards, -edz

Date: February 12, 2018 04:25PM

EDZ

I will take you at your word on the characteristics of saturated fat in coconut oil. I am not that familiar with it. However, I don't understand how coconut oil is actually beneficial (over other types) beyond its high smoking point.

As far as the oils are concerned, I know about the "therapeutic grade" claim. Read all about it when I switched from paraffin candles. I do not buy MLM oils. I don't use EO that much but I do get them from Amazon and they are significantly cheaper (like 1/10th the price) of the MLM brands.

Posted by: edzachery ( )
Date: February 12, 2018 04:43PM

Thank you, CateS. Like I said, your body doesn't treat MCTs as "fat" like it does LCTs...it can immediately use up MCTs as fuel and not store them away in fat tissue. Hope that clears up your confusion.

Where do you think the folks selling essential oils on Amazon get their products? Mostly from MLM schemes...therefore, be very careful...You may have jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire if you think that you are consistently going to get legitimate essential oils from Amazon. Drastically cheaper prices usually result from essential oils being "cut" or diluted with some blending agent...or worse.

Caveat emptor.

-edz

Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: February 11, 2018 09:36AM

I have also read that they can be toxic to pets. Also not good for people with allergies. Not worth messing with.

Date: February 11, 2018 11:31AM

Jersey Girl Wrote:
> I have also read that they can be toxic to pets.
> Also not good for people with allergies. Not worth
> messing with.

Yes.

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/essential-oil-and-liquid-potpourri-poisoning-in-dogs

http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/blog/essential-oils-cats/

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: February 11, 2018 10:14AM

It's just the latest MLM fad. It used to be all kinds of magic $30.00/qt. berry juice. The scary part is that, like you said, the clowns playing chemist/doctor can actually harm people.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: February 11, 2018 11:54AM

I got sucked into that famous MLM from the 70's and met another distributor who was also LDS. Soon she joined up with a different company. It purported to have the magic potion juice for everything that ails a person. By then, I had no appetite for MLM. She begged me to try the juice, so I did and it was ghastly. I returned it to her and she was upset that I had opened it and wanted me to pay her $60! I reminded her that she had specifically just wanted me to "try" it. That ended our association. She mentioned to me in passing that her husband had stopped taking all his blood pressure meds because this crap was the cure to his hypertension.

Sadly, a few months later, I saw his obituary in the paper. He died of a massive heart attack.

Date: February 11, 2018 02:29PM

Crazy huh. Even though it's been proven over and over that only the top 2% of people in MLM's make the money, they never learn. My wife's co-worker is on about her 5th MLM scheme in 10 years. Each new one is going to be "the one" that makes her rich because she's "in on the ground floor". She's all jacked about them for the 1st year then dwindles down to nothing in the second year. Then, the next one comes and she's back on the treadmill with a new product. Insane.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: February 12, 2018 10:49AM

Haha. Yep. That pretty much is the cycle.

Unless you have a very good way to reach strangers that want to see you for reason #1 AND as a secondary event are these friends or strangers introduced to the product you are currently pedaling/promoting you will always lose your money or break even and not progress to being "rich" from the MLM.

These MLM ground floor go getters also tend to bounce from one opportunity to another and string along their followers getting $$ from each one of them for every time they join up to the next big money maker idea underneath the go getter.

I tried a few MLMs in my life and found out I wasn't very good at convincing others to waste their time. Lost all my money investment.

Date: February 12, 2018 11:33AM

"I tried a few MLMs in my life and found out I wasn't very good at convincing others to waste their time. Lost all my money investment."

Don't feel bad. You're in the top 98th percentile.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: February 11, 2018 10:55AM

This used to be big at my work. Everyone hustling to sell oils to everyone else.

The stench in some offices as competing smells built up was overwhelming.

When no one made millions it all went away.

Posted by: Smudge ( )
Date: February 11, 2018 10:56AM

Just so you know, they are called "essential" because they are the essence of something (orange, peppermint, etc.), not because they purport to be essential for human life, like an essential amino acid. But they probably enjoy letting people think that they are essential for life.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 11, 2018 02:13PM

Bingo! An essential oil is simply one that has an odor. It is unfortunate that in English the same word is used to mean "important and necessary".

A lot of money is being made off the confusion.

BTW, the "new car smell" is basically essence of vinyl, carpet and paint*, none of which are necessary, or even good for you.

* - new car smell is also a lack of spilled drinks, dropped food, dog or kid barf on the back seat, etc etc. :)

Posted by: Felix ( )
Date: February 11, 2018 11:15AM

My wife uses them. I like the smell of some of them and find no harm. Would like to see less use of pejoratives like dork in our discussions.

Posted by: Duke of Earl Grey ( )
Date: February 11, 2018 12:09PM

The oils do have a nice smell, and that's worth something. But the harm is the exorbitant price some of these companies charge for the same oils you could find elsewhere for a quarter of the cost. The MLM supporters will claim their product is more pure, of course, but it's the same oil.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: February 11, 2018 12:16PM

My mother had rheumatoid arthritis. She had 2 "friends" who were into natural remedies and they talked my mother into taking whatever it was they were selling several times and going off her meds, and she would always end up in the ER.

Just the newest fad.

Like gemini said, I had a HT bring me over some liquid that was $24 a bottle. I tried it. Didn't seem to help. And I never paid him. He never pressured the issue.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 11, 2018 01:52PM

Context PLEASE folks!

Mormons love Anything to 'make "EXTRA" money. Bonus if they can avoid -evade paying taxes on it!

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: February 11, 2018 05:18PM

That's especially true for Mormon women, as it's a way for them to "make money" without having to work outside the home.

Posted by: GoingHome ( )
Date: February 11, 2018 05:25PM

to participate in pyramid schemes? Isn't essential oils classified as one?

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: February 11, 2018 05:41PM

You don't know much about essential oils do you? They've been around a long time. They are healing, fragrant, aromatic.

The Mormons just like Young Living brand oils, because, Mormons.

Essential oils are used in Aromatherapy, massage therapy, cooking, etc.

M@t

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: February 11, 2018 07:30PM

A drop of essential orange and a drop of lavender, on a cotton ball. Mush the cotton around with your fingers, and then tuck the scented cotton into your pillowcase, on the OTHER side of the pillow, because the orange will sting like blazes if it soaks through the pillowcase to your face. Wash oil from fingers.

The scent is heavenly.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: February 11, 2018 06:06PM

Been there done that TOTAL BS mlm

Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: February 11, 2018 06:33PM

I know the essential oils thing is popular with far more people than just Mormons. Having said that, the one time I got suckered into attending a "presentation" about essential oils sold via an MLM scheme, the presenter was this absolutely gorgeous Mormon woman; I wouldn't describe her as "Lower-class" economically (not by appearances, at least--her clothes, etc.), but sadly, many of the women in attendance were clearly really struggling--I recall one poor woman looked like she had found her and her children's clothing in dumpsters, and she was loudly testifying to the rest of us how "I never, ever get my kids the flu vaccine--I just dab a drop of such-and-such an oil on their upper lip during cold and flu season!" I know the flu vaccine is not always effective, but I'd put more stock in it than a dab of oil.

The cost of the oils was utterly exorbitant, too. I could see buying some on Amazon or at a health food store, but the costs were clearly out of reach for many of the people attending the presentation who seemed to be lapping up Mrs. Gorgeous' every word. (Among other things, I recall her saying her mother had been brought out of a coma by essential oils. Sigh.) Anyway, she sucked a few of my (mostly non-Mormon) friends into signing up for her MLM scheme--about three years later, none has made even a dollar in profit, needless to say. I don't think anyone is foolish for enjoying the scents of essential oils, but I don't get the MLM aspect.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 11, 2018 06:50PM

I do enjoy essential tacos, chile rellenos and enchiladas de pollo... Mormons, not so much.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: February 11, 2018 10:02PM

I use/ like lavender, rose, sweet orange, grapefruit, cedarwood, peppermint, patchouli, bergamot, sandalwood, clove...

M@t

Posted by: samwitch ( )
Date: February 12, 2018 10:22AM

I put a couple of drops in a holder with a tea light candle underneath. Lemon and peppermint (not together) make my house smell good and eucalyptus unclogs my sinuses. I don't use them very often, but every now and then it's nice.

I have cats, so I never use an active diffuser and always make sure there's good air flow in the house before I light that tea light. I don't use spray air fresheners or any aerosols at all; they're bad for pets and humans. My oldest cat is 15 or so and still going strong.

The pet danger links above talk about putting the oils directly on the animals or using active diffusers. Do people not have enough common sense to avoid doing those things?

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: February 12, 2018 11:10AM

I told the story on this forum right after it happened. Briefly, my dental hygienist was talking to me before my cleaning about kids and serious health and mental health kid issues.

As soon as I couldn't say anything, she launched into the whole doTerra essential oil sales pitch complete with me starting my own doTerra business. She was using the oils to treat her children's ADHD, asthma etc.

I spoke with the dentist who was as unhappy about the pitch as I was. I don't know if the hygienist kept her job.

If I want to buy something, I'll seek it out. I despise having things shoved at me--oils, vitamins, religion, vacuums...

Date: February 12, 2018 11:36AM

That was literally shoved down your throat. Was this in Utah? I can't see that happening anywhere else. Most people, especially professionals, know better.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: February 12, 2018 01:06PM

Arizona, but I'm pretty sure the dentist and the employees are Mormon.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 12, 2018 08:37PM

Only the finest pinto beans yield PB oil, and it's not 'the essence of', it's the real thing!

No pets were harmed in writing this post.

Posted by: Birdman ( )
Date: February 13, 2018 04:28PM

I recently saw some guy peddling holy water. Seems like some of the posters might be interested.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 13, 2018 05:20PM

Posted by: Birdman ( )
Date: February 14, 2018 11:43PM

I think the Mormons are offering miracle oil too - rub it on your head and it cures cancer, heart disease, warts, broken legs, various infections, the common cold, the flu ... Is there no end to the great and wonderful oils.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: February 17, 2018 07:21AM

Birdman Wrote:
> I think the Mormons are offering miracle oil too -
> rub it on your head and it cures cancer, heart
> disease, warts, broken legs, various infections,
> the common cold, the flu ... Is there no end to
> the great and wonderful oils.

FOFLMAO! Let us never forget the "magic" oil!

Posted by: Oooh I love oils ( )
Date: February 17, 2018 04:24AM

I can't stand MLM marketing, but have used essential oils for two decades.lavender for scrapes and relaxation. Peppermint in the diffuser for headaches. Some oils like oregano, kill all kinds of germs. So,it's not all bad!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.