Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Crazy horse ( )
Date: February 12, 2018 06:02PM

A former Mormon missionary wrote a book called way below the angels and have never read it, many missionaries leave after their mission is over

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: angela ( )
Date: February 12, 2018 06:16PM

Description~~~Sounds like it's his own personal story back from the '70s. Not about missionaries as a whole. Doesn't sound like he left Mormonism though?

"When Craig Harline set off on his two-year Mormon mission to Belgium in the 1970s, he had big dreams of doing miracles, converting the masses, and coming home a hero. What he found instead was a lot of rain and cold, one-sentence conversations with irritated people, and silly squabbles with fellow missionaries.

From being kicked -- literally -- out of someone's home to getting into arguments about what God really wanted from Donny Osmond, Harline faced a range of experiences that nothing, including his own missionary training, had prepared him for. He also found a wealth of friendships with fellow Mormons as well as unconverted locals and, along the way, gained insights that would shape the rest of his life.

Part religious history, part coming-of-age story, part witty spiritual memoir, this book takes readers beyond the stereotypical white shirts and name tags to reveal just how unpredictable, funny, and poignant the missionary life can be."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2018 06:17PM by angela.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 13, 2018 09:54AM

Per Wikipedia, he teaches European history at BYU. So odds are he knows all the problems, but chooses to remain apparently active.

He is now the first mormon called a PTR mormon, a Playing The Role mormon... Well, at least by me.

Posted by: Crazy horse ( )
Date: February 12, 2018 06:46PM

I have never read it before and thought it looked good, at least it is not the book of Mormon, I really hate that book

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: February 14, 2018 04:04AM

I read it a few years ago.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.