Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: February 12, 2018 06:18PM

...just heard this morning that my daughter "lost it" at college and now she's on a 72-hour hold; headed out tomorrow for a 6 hour drive to see if her very promising college career is down the tubes or we can help her salvage her life.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 12, 2018 06:23PM

My condolences. I have two soon to be three kids in college. My "hopes and dreams" not "thoughts and prayers" are with you.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 12, 2018 06:29PM

I am so sorry about this. I hope she is okay (most important and that you guys get this worked out.

You will, however, salvage her life one way or another. A person can take time off and then start over if necessary. And there are other ways to go besides college.

Best wishes to you both.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: February 12, 2018 06:35PM

Sorry to hear this CNB. She'll be glad to see you, I'm sure.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: February 12, 2018 06:41PM

Thanks everyone. She was applying for internships, composing music, and doing research, but we're afraid that all that and her scholarships, along with what few friendships she had, might go right out the window.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: February 12, 2018 07:31PM

Yes, her life will be very different-at least in the short run, but....maybe she’ll end up on a different path that will ultimately be very rewarding for her.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: February 12, 2018 07:41PM

I'm sure with everything up in the air, it's difficult to know what the future holds. Since it's kind of unknowable, and daunting, perhaps taking baby steps forward is all that can be done. Those steps will all add up to something. I'm sure she hasn't lost her talents.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: February 12, 2018 10:33PM

You are obviously a loving father wanting what is best for her. Hope all works out OK.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 12, 2018 10:38PM

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." ...or some such. There was never any guarantee that the plan she had laid out was going to work, and likewise, there is no guarantee that what appears to be a set back, really is.

I submit to you that happiness isn't subject to planning, and can't be impeded by what the rest of the world calls a failure. It shows up when it shows up.

Falling down is no big deal. She can, and most likely will, get up and continue her journey.

Drive safely and keep on being the outstanding dad that you are.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 12, 2018 10:42PM

Bummer CNB....hope she gets to fulfill her dreams and that this is just a bumpy spot on her road. Best wishes to your daughter and you.

Posted by: mom anon ( )
Date: February 12, 2018 11:02PM

Something similar happened to my brother. Mom and pop drove many hundred miles to his aid. He went on to be very successful. Sounds like you are great parents.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: February 13, 2018 04:35AM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 13, 2018 08:16AM

I'm sorry, CnB. As you may know, it's not at all unusual for college kids to have psychological issues. I had counseling in college and I know of other students who had it as well. I think that the stress of studies along with being away from home for the first time, and navigating life as a budding adult, doesn't help. I wish your daughter well.

As a mentor of mine once said, everything comes out in the wash. With time, love, and patience, hopefully everything will work out.

Posted by: Fascinated in the Midwest ( )
Date: February 13, 2018 08:52AM

Be aware she can likely petition the school for a Withdrawal of her entire semester, perhaps even a return of tuition paid! Extenuating circumstances such as the medical/psychological issue can result in a semester being "erased" from the record. Pursue it later, after she is safe and healthier - and keep at it until you get what you seek.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 13, 2018 08:57AM

Careers and college plans and internships can be put off, and get back on track.
Be her loving dad and get her well.
Don't worry about the rest for now.

Best...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.