Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: February 13, 2018 01:50AM

I'm impressed.

I am unable to be on my feet for long enough to grocery shop or cook. (I tried to shop once using those little scooter carts, and it was so distracting that the whole shopping experience was dreadful.)

I was feeling energetic a couple of days ago, and spent too much time on my feet, and paid for it with incredible pain in my low back. (Arthritis, following old injury from falling on black ice.) Cooking just isn't worth it.

Anyway, the Meals on Wheels thing was encouraging. I told them I hated seafood, so they won't bring that, and that I need a "renal diet" as I have kidney problems. They can accommodate that. It was a good lunch, delivered warm, and I didn't even need to have supper.

I am trying to talk diabetic DH into signing up for it. We can afford it. He would get meals tailored to his own needs. He says he will hold off for a while and see how it works out for me before making a commitment. It would be such a help if he would do this.

Anyway, I am very pleased. Hope the Republicans don't do away with the program.

Ha anyone else had experience with this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: February 13, 2018 02:06AM

That sounds wonderful, Catnip.

So good knowing it's there helping people like yourself who can really benefit from the great service it provides.

Your husband may come around after seeing how nice it is, based on your experience.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: February 13, 2018 02:15AM

Mom had them the last years of her life.

They were convenient, and the menu was varied over 3-4 weeks and then repeated.

She didn't eat much, so she'd first eat what she liked and then say she'd have the rest for her evening meal.

She never did eat the left overs.

She couldn't handle anything spicy, letting the organization know they were accommodating.

The meals looked like the medium price tv frozen dinners supplemented with fresh fruit and a dessert.

It's not five star dinning but is a balanced meal that is delivered to you and very convenient. Beats having to do the shopping and prep work.

Only drawback is it generates more than the normal garbage in the packaging and paper plates.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: February 13, 2018 02:46AM

I've heard it's (a) good volunteer work. I've volunteered with organizations that are associated, food-wise. Glad it is working out nicely catnip.

M@t

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 13, 2018 05:22AM

Sounds perfect, catnip!

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: February 13, 2018 05:25AM

Do they offer a plant-based diet menu?

Date: February 13, 2018 12:16PM

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 13, 2018 05:26AM

My mother had the service for many years and it was wonderful for her. She had mobility problems and appreciated the help. She saved leftovers for the weekend when she didn't have the service. She also sent out a short list with my sister if she needed a few more items each week or two.

I hope it's as helpful and convenient for you.

Posted by: Kendal Mint Cake ( )
Date: February 13, 2018 07:24AM

Sounds lovely!

Posted by: Fascinated in the Midwest ( )
Date: February 13, 2018 08:57AM

So glad you can benefit from this fantastic organization!

Some individuals in areas so rural are offered frozen meals, which they have to pick up in town....takes away the "daily check-in/friendly delivery person" component.

I hope your husband joins you in this dining choice!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 13, 2018 09:08AM

If they set up a side business, charging a very healthy rate, calling it "Meals on Wheels for when You're Too Drunk to Cook", they might be able to become self-funding with regard to their primary effort!

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: February 13, 2018 01:16PM

My mother really liked it because she got to eat someone else's cooking.

Posted by: KathyO ( )
Date: February 13, 2018 01:44PM

My mother had meals on wheels before she had to enter a nursing home. They came 4 days a week, had food she really liked and it cost around $ 3 per day. It was cooked for her, and couldn't beat the cost. It was also a means of someone "checking" on her. If someone doesn't answer the door the delivery person is supposed to let someone know. If the person getting the meal won't be home that day, they are supposed to let the organization know ahead of time so a meal isn't delivered.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: February 13, 2018 07:50PM

I deliver meals on wheels Mondays and Thursdays. I think that it is a wonderful thing for the home bound. It is an appropriate use of tax dollars.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: February 13, 2018 07:52PM

One summer, on Long Island, My Aunt and Uncle volunteered through their Presbyterian church to deliver meals on wheels. This was at the end of the island in Greenport, mostly farm and fishing community. I stayed the entire summer and helped (really just rode along and carried meals). Most of the people loved the meals, but more than that, they loved the human contact. We had to always have a plan to say we had to deliver the next meal, quickly, otherwise we'd get sucked in an hour long discussion. We'd stay about 10 minutes and then leave. I think most enjoyed the company as much as the food. Very grateful and nice people. One day, a gentleman had his kids in the city come out and take him to town. He forgot to cancel his meal. I didn't know what to do with the left over meal, so my uncle said "eat it if you're hungry". I was very surprised. It was great. They balance the meals, Proteins, carbs, fats, and all was made with fresh ingredients. Most college kids and working moms probably didn't eat that well. It's a valuable program and it brings happiness to both the recipient and the delivery people.

Posted by: Captain Klutz ( )
Date: February 13, 2018 07:55PM

Do you need a big car? This is something I could do, but I drive a Mustang ragtop...not much interior or trunk.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: February 13, 2018 08:13PM

Not sure the demographics/volume that your involved in. But, in our case, like I said it was the end of Long Island, I'd estimate each stop was 2 miles from the previous place. We only delivered about 7-10 meals per day. The church had about 8 people delivering on any given day, so everyone had relatively small area and cargo. The meals weren't much bigger than a Chinese take out for one. You could carry 7-10 meals in a compact car. I'd check further about your area and expected recipient numbers.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 13, 2018 03:49PM

In March 2017, President Donald Trump's proposed budget would make cuts to block grants that go towards spending on Meals on Wheels. Defending these cuts, director of the Office of Management and Budget Mick Mulvaney said that "Meals on Wheels sounds great" but that the program is one of many that is "just not showing any results."

Not showing any results?

A 2013 review study on the impact of home-delivered meal programs found that "all but two studies found home-delivered meal programs to significantly improve diet quality, increase nutrient intakes, and reduce food insecurity and nutritional risk among participants. Other beneficial outcomes include increased socialization opportunities, improvement in dietary adherence, and higher quality of life." The study concluded, "Home-delivered meal programs improve diet quality and increase nutrient intakes among participants. These programs are also aligned with the federal cost-containment policy to rebalance long-term care away from nursing homes to home- and community-based services by helping older adults maintain independence and remain in their homes and communities as their health and functioning decline."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meals_on_Wheels

Date: February 13, 2018 08:01PM

Thanks, Hie. I know that jerk will be back.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 13, 2018 08:30PM

Same jerk has posted at least 3 times. Just did it again. :(

edit: make that 4 times.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2018 08:39PM by ificouldhietokolob.

Date: February 13, 2018 09:20PM

I think 5 now.

Date: February 13, 2018 09:49PM

It's not fun, being unable to cook and of course, we can't afford to eat "out" every night, nor would that be a good solution.

I'm finding that with a MoW lunch, I don't need dinner, so it seems to be working out pretty well.

The people who deliver the meals are very nice too, though they need reassurance that my impeccably mannered dog, Georgy, will not hurt them.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.