Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: perdition ( )
Date: February 13, 2018 01:40PM

that I haven't seen a Mormon missionary in England for at least 3, maybe 4 years (and I live within half a mile of an LDS meeting house). Have they entirely given up on England (from whence so many of the original bretheren hailed)? Surely not...

Outside of London, you have more chance of seeing a Lamanite than an elder or sister missionary.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: February 13, 2018 01:48PM

Wow... thats good news.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: February 13, 2018 02:00PM

You have a better chance of seeing old dog? Haha jk old dog. Wish they would quit in idaho. It's ridiculous here. Why do they want to convert the converted? Makes no sense. Isn't idaho second to utah with mormons?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 13, 2018 02:01PM

I'm taking it as an invitation to visit merry, hairy older England!

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: February 13, 2018 02:03PM

Hahahaha nice

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 13, 2018 03:12PM

In some places (from what I hear, all of Europe is "some places"), they've given up tracting entirely. And trying to recruit using alternate methods.

Which is good news for you and everyone else in England!

:)

Date: February 13, 2018 03:27PM

I have seen them tracting in Scotland. Never in England. Western Europe is a very, very tough market for the Saints. Bits of eastern Europe and Ukraine and Russia are probably their only hope for survival in these parts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2018 03:28PM by perdition.

Date: February 13, 2018 03:29PM

When they closed the mission in Turkey, those missionaries were sent to Germany, to find and convert all the Turks living there, which is apparently a large number.

Date: February 13, 2018 04:07PM

I believe the Turkey mission is back in business

Date: February 14, 2018 01:39AM

You are correct! I'd been following the only Central Eurasian Mission 'volunteer' with a blog, but stopped when they were sent out of Turkey, to Germany. But according to his blog, they went back to Turkey around the start of the fourth quarter of 2016. And now Volunteer Muncey is an AP, and he's only got a week left on his mission!

Seems like a very nice guy...

Date: February 14, 2018 04:09AM

They have expanded their operation thereabouts presumably as Europe has been written off as heathen territory. The LDS have to tread carefully in TR. Turkey's mildly Islamist government takes a very dim view of missionaries from any Christian church (although your average Turk knows next to nothing about mormonism which could, of course, prove something of a plus for the Saints!)

Posted by: Jock ( )
Date: February 26, 2018 06:37AM

I have seen them in the UK, both here and down there. They're still out there. They have wisely given up on the idea of walking around vast suburbs.

A lot of them concentrate on university areas now and Chinese students (they get high baptism rates and low retention)

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: February 27, 2018 02:07AM

Eastern Europe, Ukraine, Russia? They have such affinity for the Orthodox church. I doubt that Mormonism will have hold there for very long. Some will be baptized out of excitement for the "new", but how many will stick? How many stuck in the past?

Recently I watched a video--can't remember if it was on YouTube or Vimeo--of a guy from Russia burning his Book of Mormon. He was done with it, he said.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: February 27, 2018 03:24AM

The only time I've seen Mormon missionaries in France was in PĂ©rigueux about 25 years ago.

Never seen one in Paris.

Tom in Paris

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.