Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Questionmaker ( )
Date: February 14, 2018 04:15PM

Anyone felt that politesse was something that was demanded but always discarded by default?

One must earn the benefits of politesse in life. It was never a standard to benefit for all.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: February 14, 2018 04:27PM

OK, I admit it. I'm old. But in the home where I grew up, "politesse," (AKA graciousness, or old-fashioned good manners) was not an option. I was reminded, innumerable times, to say "Please" when asking for something at the dinner table, and to say "Thank you" when it was handed to me. I have taught (and modeled) this same behavior for my children.

"Politesse" was an incalculable benefit when I was able to take the trip of a lifetime several years ago, throughout Europe. I made sure I could say "please," and "thank you," at the very least, in the language of every country I visited. If I could say more in the language of the local country, I did so. I didn't worry about getting it right. My high school Spanish teacher had assured me years before that you got points just for trying. Getting it perfect was whipped cream on top.

Extending courtesy to random others is hardly something to be "discarded." You never know when the benefits will pay you back many-fold.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: February 14, 2018 04:46PM

Nope.

Sometimes you get what you want when being polite.

I'll be polite... to a fault. I just wish they [others] would too.

M@t

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.