Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: February 15, 2018 02:04AM

A potentially great thing happened at my ex-Mormon son's wedding in October. While we were all dancing and carrying on, my unmarried 42 year-old daughter was locked in conversation with the bride's big brother, discussing things like Tolstoy, Jane Austin, and European politics. He is a well-travelled and well-read professional; my daughter is an elegant and beautiful professional woman who has never found love, despite best efforts, a BYU education, and years in single adult wards, By the end of the wedding bash, he had asked for my daughter's E-mail address. We all believe that he thought he had finally found a woman who could talk on the same brainy level. She has been very tight-lipped about any correspondence they have had, but she called today to inform my wife that she is flying to Chicago to meet him for a few days on neutral territory, with separate rooms in the same hotel.

In the past few years I have encouraged her to open her horizons and consider a non-LDS guy. DW thought this was nonsense, since my daughter has also been a temple worker and is also very active. Like most LDS women, she longed to get married and have a family, but the LDS guys in her life all proved to be duds. I am glad she came to her senses. This guy is such a good, elligible bachelor, that I can't believe her good luck. He is also very handsome, in spite if being big and tall, and somewhat overweight. He reminds me of a handsome Hagrid (his hands are enormous). I first met him when we went to Pennsylvania to check out my future daughter-in-law's Italian-American family. Instead of it being a strained visit, we all fell in love with each other immediately. Should this work out, I think it would be a great thing. I only hope she doesn't spoil it by trying to introduce him to the church.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Ohdeargoodness nli ( )
Date: February 15, 2018 02:34AM

This is wonderful news!

I was so blessed to find my atheist, nevermo husband after my first abusive dud of a marriage to a member. I had never met someone so intellectually compatible before him. He corrected my Latin in the car yesterday. He’s out of my wildest dreams.

Your daughter sounds like a smart lady. Hopefully her better instincts take over any brainwashing that might try to escape through her mouth.

DH and I talk about theoretical physics a lot and he indulges my more metaphysical woo-woo leanings as I try to apply them the possibilities of there being 11 or even 27 dimensions. Deep down I wish he had more interest in the potential of an afterlife, etc, but my better instincts take over.

He loves me. He doesn’t beat, belittle, abuse or oppress me. He respects me, protects me, provides for me and only wants what is good for me. Why on earth would I want to screw that up because our belief systems aren’t carbon copies of each other?

I think for more intellectually inclined people, prioritizing the search for truth is more important than dogmatism. It sounds like both DH and HH (Handsome Hagrid) could easily fall into this category. If so, hurrah!!!

Sending hopeful, good vibes out to you all. Please keep us posted! :)

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: February 15, 2018 04:26AM

This is good news, Cludgie, and fingers in Paris are being kept crossed for the outcome ;-)

Hope you're all well.

Much love

Tom in Paris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2018 07:25AM by Soft Machine.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 15, 2018 05:53AM

Good news, Cludgie!

I know that one of Richard Bushman's Harvard-educated daughters married outside the Mormon church. Her wedding ceremony was in one of the mainstream Christian churches. It took her a long time to find her spouse as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2018 05:53AM by summer.

Posted by: slumbering ( )
Date: February 15, 2018 08:33AM

That's great, Cludgie!

I hope all goes well! She sounds like a smart gal. ;-)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.