Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Razortooth ( )
Date: February 15, 2018 11:52AM

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeterson/2018/02/the-god-hypothesis.html#3AJLVGhayWguVPZj.01

Really? This is supposed to be proof of something? Peterson and Ward are desperately in need of brain enemas.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 15, 2018 01:30PM

"[I]f the universe is rational, God almost certainly exists. Far from belief in God being some sort of irrational leap of faith, it is the most rational hypothesis there is; and perhaps it is the only plausible and sure foundation of the rationality of the universe that science presupposes."

What a ridiculous bare assertion.

A "rational" universe does not imply (or require) a "god."
An "irrational" universe does not imply (or require) a "god."

What would show a god exists is evidence a god exists. Not evidence that something else is "rational" (or "irrational").

But of course, mormons will read that, smile, and nod their heads. 'Cause somebody they think is smart said their irrational belief is rational. When it isn't.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: February 15, 2018 02:08PM

Reminds me of the scene in "Creature From the Black Lagoon" where the scientist is looking at the petrified creature hand he had just dug up and knows nothing about, and say's "this can only mean one thing!"

Mystery solved.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: February 15, 2018 02:49PM

Science doesn’t presuppose as much as Dan thinks it does. I mean it happens, and scientists adjust their expectations accordingly. Blog away, Sir Bedevere the Wise.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: February 15, 2018 01:58PM

There is a Universe that goes on forever. We don't even have a word for how many solar systems there are besides settling on infinity. Mormon God has worlds without end and this world has had at least 108 billion people on it so far.

On our planet alone you have millions of species of plant and animal life. Weather is all over the place. And humans on top of it. 8 billion at a time.

So what is irrational is that these people think some "being" is controlling all of that? Allowing the universe to expand, making sure gravity still works, and who even knows what He has got going in those black holes? And, that the whole photosynthesis/carbon dioxide thingie to keep on track, then there are all those prayers to answer, gold plates to deliver, tithing to count, and people to excommunicate--all while picking out next years Super Bowl teams and Oscar winners and President of the United States. No wonder Heavenly Father isn't that anxious to save that many and would rather have them sent to Satan's Rescue Center for Rational Beings.

(Yes. I have too much time on my hands today.)

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: February 15, 2018 02:04PM

Because wine...though I'm more of a beer man.

"Wine; a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy!" - Benjamin Franklin

Of course, if Ben is right, it's just another way Mormons are wrong.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.