Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: February 15, 2018 10:22PM

One died, one is clinging to life.

Senseless shootings are no respecter of persons, or religious affiliations.

Wishing their families some semblance of peace during this time.

Only in America does this kind of senseless killing repeat itself. It's the 18th high school shooting so far this year.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900010446/lds-community-mourns-florida-shooting-victims-including-2-mormon-girls.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: February 15, 2018 10:32PM

Their poor parents and siblings. I cannot even begin to comprehend the pain of anyone who loses a child to senseless violence. :-(

Date: February 15, 2018 10:55PM

It's horrible. A parent's and now a society's worst nightmare.

Phil Mudd, ex-FBI agent, broke down on CNN last night with Wolf Blitzer. It was very emotional.

"A child of God is dead ... Cannot we acknowledge in this country ..." and he just lost it there and then.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/14/us/cnn-phil-mudd-breaks-down-mass-shooting-florida-high-school-cnntv/index.html

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: February 15, 2018 11:30PM

I’m at a large professional conference. The organization head asked us to take a moment of silence in memory of the students. My deepest respect and love for the families and friends of the victims and survivors. There will be many lives affected by this monstrous crime.

Echoing Amyjo’s message, my hope is that all of us can come together to support and comfort those who are hurting—not only in Florida—but also in our own communities.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 12:27AM

It would help if they didn’t publish the names of the shooters. Nobody should get the kind of attention that attracts copycat killers.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 01:04AM

Beyond heartbreaking no matter who the victims are.

:(

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 03:25AM

I would just love to ask deseret news how many luthern, Baptist, jew, die too. It's like the Mormons only care about the Mormon victims, because you know, Mormons are better then everyone else according to Mormons. I don't want to label the girls "Mormon girl victims". they were victims,

You don't see the Baptist church labeling their baptist victims every time a significant event occurs, or any other religious sect for that matter.

When Mormons do this, I want to scream.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 08:46PM

How many children who died had brothers and sisters?

How many children who died were born outside the USA?
How many honors students, male, female, rode a bike to school....

All were human children, who died, and all of humanity should be united in mourning.

I agree that religion is irrelevant.
A Mormon has no more importance than anyone else.

Posted by: Dennis the Menace ( )
Date: February 21, 2018 07:38AM

This is from the Deseret News. Of course they will focus on that. Mormondom is a smallish network - it is highly likely these girls:

* Have relatives in other LDS families especially in Utah.
* Have relatives who served missions in other wards.
* Themselves knew missionaries from traditional Mormon communities.
* Have family who have married into Utah stock.
* May know people cuŕrently/formerly at BYU.

In that sense there is a network the Baptists don't tend to have. Baptists aren't interconnected in this sense.

I don't even live in the USA, but we have people in my local ward who fit one or more of these categories.

Posted by: U don't know ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 05:54AM

Amyjo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Only in America does this kind of senseless
> killing repeat itself.

I wish people wouldn't spout off with this ignorant "only in America" crap. I lived I Swirzerland for two years, and in those two years someone shot up everyone in a McDonald's, and another nutjob stormed into his local government offices and shot all the legislators. And that's in a country of only six million people.

Date: February 16, 2018 07:23AM

Isn't Switzerland one of the safest countries on earth?

As for school shootings, the USA gets the blue star award. No other country comes close to the senseless number of massacres by shooters in public schools as America does.

There have been 25 fatal school shootings since Columbine, according to yesterday's news. 122 murdered in mass school shootings since Columbine. One is too many, I agree.

BTW, would you please provide a link to the Swiss Mcdonald's shooting and the legislators?

Did you go there on your mission?

Posted by: gettinresl ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 02:50PM

You are online, presumably you know how to google... this shouldn’t be hard for you to go on your own, but here ya go.
I think “U don’t know” meant Munich Mc Donald’s, I couldn’t find a Swiss one.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2001/09/28/world/14-killed-in-attack-on-a-swiss-legislature.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/23/munich-shooting-teenage-gunman-researched-killing-sprees-no-isis-links

Posted by: NeverBeenaMormon ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 10:54PM

Munich not being in Switzerland doesn't really help you case here tbh

Posted by: op47 ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 07:40AM

At least Switzerland's 7 year old girls don't shoot their machine gun teachers.

Date: February 21, 2018 07:43AM

It is mainly in the USA. The Swiss have a lot of weapons to hand - they are all military reservists much like the Israelis, but a Swiss shoot up like this is *not common*.

The USA has a cult of violence. Maybe it's partly the frontier mentality. But you also see it in Hollywood films where shooting is as common as dialogue, gangsta rap which perpetuates black stereotypes, and the fact the USA has been constantly at war with someone or other since the beginning of WWII at least. Anyone who questions militarism in the USA is often accused of being un-American.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 07:37AM

Only America has senseless killings; the killings in Mexico, Afghanistan, Myanmar, numerous countries in Africa, etc., etc., and Norway, the modern era record holder for a one man killing rampage, those were sensible?

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 11:27AM

How many muslim women and senselessly killed all over the middle east. A gun wasn't used, but a stone, a knife, hands, etc.

Posted by: gettinreal ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 02:51PM

The rest are “sensible”????? WTF?

Date: February 21, 2018 07:45AM

The reason that Norway holds the record is precisely because they are so unused to it! The USA seems to have one a month, in Norway you are lucky to see one a decade.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 08:01AM

In UT here on the news, they focused on these 2 because they are mormon, which is sad to me. All those lives lost, matter, not just the LDS ones..

Something else to consider...The gun debate/gun control aspect is (always) being looked at first, but here is some alarming info, that should also be looked at.
http://www.wnd.com/2018/02/media-ignoring-1-crucial-factor-in-florida-school-shooting/

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 11:27AM

The article didn't mentioned how the Holy Ghost fucked up and and didn't warn them.

What POS that damn ghost is.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 02:55PM

I know. I can see them focusing on the Utahns who were killed in the Vegas 2nd Amendment demonstration or even the Sandy Hook victim whose parents had recently moved there from Utah. But DesNews is in the business of selling papers and their subscribers are looking for Mormon news over Utah news. And they like the Dopamine rush they get from knowing that being LDS makes a shooting of your child no big deal.

Date: February 16, 2018 08:48PM

No surprise. When my friend asked me about how this could happen, the first thing I said was “drugs”. The safest drugs on the planet are illegal, but the most dangerous we feed to our kids. The pharmaceutical industry is so powerful that the side effects are swept under the rug.

Posted by: brigham666 ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 11:59AM

"Only in America does this kind of senseless killing repeat itself. It's the 18th high school shooting so far this year."

It is not the 18th so far this year.

It does happen in other places.
Bosnia, Afghanistan, Iraq, African nations.

Crazy people do crazy things no matter what else is going on.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 12:01PM

brigham666 Wrote:
> It is not the 18th so far this year.

Yeah, actually, it is:

http://www.king5.com/article/news/nation-world/18-shooting-incidents-have-occurred-on-school-grounds-in-the-us-in-2018/507-518863102

> It does happen in other places.
> Bosnia, Afghanistan, Iraq, African nations.

Wow, we're in such good company...

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 01:18PM

The 1 in Feb. was accidental so that one doesn't count. Still too many though

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 07:37PM

nonmo_1 Wrote:
> The 1 in Feb. was accidental so that one doesn't
> count. Still too many though

OK, 17.

Personally, I don't think an accidental shooting at a school could have happened if somebody hadn't brought a gun to a school...

:)

Date: February 21, 2018 07:51AM

The examples you mention are warzones. And two of them are in wars where the USA has armed and funded Islamic terrorists (much like they have done in Syria more recently!). Afghanistan's Taliban originates in foreign fundamentalists such as Bin Laden (who was a Saudi prince not an Afghan) that the USA armed to get rid of the Soviet army. As for Iraq, Saddam Hussein was a US ally during the 1980s and also received help - then the west went and made war with them three times (Desert Storm, Desert Fox (under Clinton) and the Bush invasion) and actually trained ISIS' predecessors to help topple Saddan's government in the 1990s.

Date: February 16, 2018 04:24PM

I wouldn’t call it senseless. The killer knew exactly what he was doing. There were plenty of indications that this was a troubled kid. Maybe we should be asking why problems are allowed to fester until they go out of control. Guns just up the ante. They raise the cost of deferring social responsibility in a free country.

Date: February 16, 2018 05:18PM

I'm not sure he knew exactly what he was doing. I have no doubt he'll be tried full on as an adult, and prosecutors will seek the death penalty.

He's a stupid shithole of an excuse of a human being. If he's not kept in solitary confinement he's as good as dead in the general prison population (think Jeffrey Dahmer.) His days are numbered.

He went SHOPPING after murdering those kids and teachers. He's a psychopath with no remorse or scintilla of a conscience.

I wonder what defense his attorneys will use? Insanity? He had a miserable childhood? He was adopted at age six. His adoptive dad died some years ago, and his adoptive mother (both elderly,) recently died. People say he unraveled following her death. He was a loose cannon - people saw the warning signs. Reported him including to the FBI. It fell on deaf ears.

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 08:31PM

The Universe is trying to tell the US something here yet there are no 'adults' to make tough decisions!

I am not going to go into this but too many people (adults) knew there were a lot of issues going on here!

A lot of people (adults) should be under pressure here facing criminal action or being sued for what they knew or should have known and what they did or didn't do.

Like I said before 'none' of these are really random. They are planned to provide 'experiences and learning/growth'. Unfortunately, they will continue unless people really take a hard look at who was really responsible ---- and a clue is clearly not just the killer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2018 10:29PM by spiritist.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.