Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Ace ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 10:37AM

I am doing a new video for my flackerman youtube channel about the racist doctrines of the church before 1978 and their opposition to the civil rights movement. I have read that people who supported the civil rights were disciplined by the church.

I was wondering if anyone here had any kind of experiences like this. I know it has been 50 years or so, but I would be interested in talking to anyone who had an experience like this.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Justin ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 10:45AM

As Governor of Michigan George Romney supported civil rights for racial minorities. I don't recall that he was disciplined. In fact if I am correct Elder Hugh B. Brown, one of the members of the First Presidency, supported civil rights for racial minorities. I even seem to remember that President David O. McKay supported such rights.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 08:48PM

Here's a PDF of the letter from Delbert Stapley officially chastising George Romney for supporting the Civil Rights movement and (*choke* *gasp*) Martin Luther King, Jr.

https://archive.org/stream/DelbertStapleyLetter/delbert_stapley_Letter#page/n0/mode/1up

Posted by: brigham666 ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 12:29PM

Remember that David Mckay told Ezra Taft Benson he could not be the Vice Presidential candidate running with Gov George Wallace for President?

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 01:10PM

Here's one:

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1454&dat=19771015&id=oh1OAAAAIBAJ&sjid=QhMEAAAAIBAJ&pg=6904,3033393&hl=en

(article top-left)

The article refers to another guy -- Douglas Wallace -- who was excommunicated for ordaining a black man to the priesthood.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2018 01:12PM by ificouldhietokolob.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 01:44PM

There were others. Byron Marchant was one. And Stuart Udall was not very welcome in polite society at the time.

Posted by: Ace ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 02:43PM

Nice, thanks.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 03:22PM

In ONLY a scientific sense, truthseeker1 is correct; Blacks have slightly different susceptibilites to different medical circumstances (sickle cell, others).

However today, societies main focus is social - economic - and legal equality.

If there are other slight differences such as cultural values, etc., they aren't worth mentioning.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 03:50PM

GNPE, why do you engage with him?

Truthseeker1 (vigilant) does not contend that there are socio-economic differences between black and white; he does not argue that there are cultural differences. His conviction is that there are MORAL and SPIRITUAL differences between the races and that they are ETERNAL. He says that those differences should be reflected in earthly arrangements as well.

Moreover he is not interested in discussing his bilious opinions but rather wants to preach it, which is why he keeps referring people to his website. He presents a mixture of trolling and proselytizing.

I fear that if we engage with him, we implicitly accept that his views are within the realm of the debatable; we implicitly grant him a limited legitimacy. In my opinion he does not deserve that. I submit that he is beyond the pale and should be relegated to his own website rather than admitted to a board that, in theory if sometimes not in practice, welcomes people of all races and ethnicities.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 03:55PM

To me, "equal" and "same" mean identical, that clearly isn't the case.

I've not visited ts1's website,(have U?) so I won't comment on it.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 03:59PM

GNPE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've not visited ts1's website,(have U?) so I
> won't comment on it.

I did the other day. And commented on it.

In addition to horrific web design...it's a whole lotta crazy.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 04:27PM

GNPE,

I am not criticizing you.

I'm saying that truthseeker1/vigilant (also perhaps Concerned Citizen 2.0) is inveterately racist. He's posted such things on numerous threads on this board.

And yes, I have perused his website. It is a combination of idiosyncratically selected and interpreted biblical and Mormon scripture, self-indulgent religious assertions, and 19th century racism. The notion that race indicates different levels of spiritual virtue is ubiquitous and vile.

For people who do not identify as the dominant ethnicity, he and his posts are deeply disturbing. I worry that by engaging him as it he were a well-meaning if perhaps ill-informed person, we give a measure of legitimacy to those disturbing views. There is nothing naive about this particular poster: he is a proselytizing white supremacist.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.