Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 01:04PM

Just "read it" on another board.

That's some serious "opening the windows of high interest rates and letting blessings pour out".

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Now a Gentile ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 01:08PM

I never have taken out a loan to pay tithing but then I can count the dollars I have given in tithing on two hands. My parents have done it though...to the tune of five thousand dollars or so. I just shook my head at it but it was right inline with their programming. I think they did it because they were expecting about the same amount coming in two months later or so due to a sale of some property.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 01:30PM

If you do that, do you have to count the loan amount as "income," and pay another 10% on THAT?

Posted by: not logged in ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 01:30PM

A friend worked at a local Utah bank and observed many TBMs coming into the bank president's office asking for loans to pay their tithing. They were almost always approved under the guise of a "Christmas" loan. Since the loans were unsecured the bank carried an heavy load of unsecured debt and was eventually taken over by the feds.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 01:40PM

I worked at a Utah County financial institution back in the 80's. I was a loan officer. MANY people came in wanting "Christmas" loans and I knew that most of those loans were really to pay their tithing. Some even admitted it. It bothered me and I was a devout member at the time.

I do remember just once in the early 80's using one of those checks that the credit card companies sent out making it really easy to deposit to a checking account. I was terrified that year when we got behind on the tithing. My DH at the time was a BYU professor who was getting really low pay and I was trying to work part time and care for the 3 children I had at the time.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: February 18, 2018 12:54AM

How funny is that? The whole church turned out to be a check you can’t cash. Doing all that with 3 kids? I’m impressed.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 02:02PM

My friend has always been the main income for her family. She was trying to work OT to pay for her daughter's wedding, but you can only do so much and she ended up putting 4k on a CREDIT CARD to pay back tithing so she could go to her own daughter's temple wedding.

Posted by: yorkie ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 02:18PM

Not directly, but often had to use a credit card to pay for essential items due to not having money we would have had if we weren't paying tithing.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 02:37PM

No. We paid tithing first. Like we were told to do. Then we’d have to live off credit cards the second half of the month. But we never went into debt to pay tithing. I.e., we never actually paid tithing with a credit card. See how good a mormon I was? On the gullibility scale from 1-10, I was a 12. I mean, you have to be either a closeted exmo who doesn’t mind fibbing about nonsense, or at least a 9 on the scale to even own a temple recommend.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 02:41PM

Never paid a cent of tithing and damn sure would NEVER have borrowed to pay it. What I earned was MY money....didn't ever think it belonged to the LARD.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2018 02:42PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: MOI ( )
Date: February 17, 2018 10:49AM

A friend of mine is suffering 24/7 from the pain and effects of brutal diabetic peripheral neuropathy, etc. and is receiving AISH. He was hounded by TBM family members to pay tithing on it. Luckily he has enough on the ball to realize that the much needed assistance was to assist him, and not a multi-billion dollar organization.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 17, 2018 03:51PM

Wow....the fucking cult wants 10% of an AISH cheque....fucking vultures. Good thing my daughter was never baptized or they've be after hers too.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 02:43PM

One thing I really liked about the RLDS tithing system was members paid only on their net disposable income, after their other bills were paid. So unlike LDS system of tithes. That was more humane, and people didn't suffer to pay their tithing as much.

The RLDS isn't as wealthy as the LDS. Key difference right there. They don't suck their members dry.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 02:44PM

Yes, I did. More than once.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: February 18, 2018 12:58AM

You do seem like the “all in” type. It must have hurt something awful.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: February 16, 2018 03:53PM

We did, several times and it was always at my insistence. When my husband would try to explain that we couldn't afford it that month, I would counter with " You're being an unfaithful infidel!" or,"You don't want to be with me in the next life"! It makes me feel so angry at myself for treating him like that and for falling for TSCC's crap.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: February 17, 2018 04:20PM

This is so sad and wrong. I never figured that this was going on when I was a member.When I got out of school and had a job, my bishop never asked how much I made , I know I was bad, but I underpayed , more like 6%.
It’s like these charismatic churches that take up double or triple collections, ie for visiting missionaries, local disaster cause,youth program, etc, they’re huge mega churches, why can’t they just pay it out their regular collection?
The pastors have mini mansion houses, luxurious cars, fancy vacations , etc
That’s why I like Judaism, they don’t take collections or carry money on the sabbath in church
I have coin boxes in the house that we put our loose change in, plus occasional voluntary gifts

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: February 17, 2018 07:09PM

I paid tithing first, then fell back on credit to feed my family and pay for other necessities. I would never, ever even dream of doing that now. But I was convinced since teenager-hood that strong adolescent feelings (which happen in many areas during that time of life) were the Holy Ghost telling me the LDS church is true. I thought that I therefore had to obey, and avoid sinning against the "light" I had received. So I forked it over. What a scam I was caught in!

Posted by: mom anon ( )
Date: February 18, 2018 01:35AM

Why take a loan out when you can always sell your blood?

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: February 18, 2018 12:05PM

When I was the finance clerk, always one of two, one year a couple of guys paid their tithing with the checks that you can use on a credit card...forget what they are called.

One of them came the next year, I guess for some reason he needed to explain, but paid us in CASH which was about $3000, IIRC. He said something to the effect that "I don't ever plan on paying tithing on credit again" etc.

I'd never seen that much cash in one place before, all crisp new $100 bills.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: February 18, 2018 12:11PM

I considered it. Thank goodness I didn't do that!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.