Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: February 19, 2018 12:32PM

My mother's visiting teacher has always been pretty dutiful in dropping by regularly, sometimes twice a month. She is a hard worker who, in her sixties, is still volunteering her time to ward members, community service, and cleaning as a part-time, paying job.

I just noticed on the ward website that this woman is now the "Ward Cleaning Coordinator". She hasn't been by to see my mother for a couple of months now. This is not like her. Mom and I don't really miss the visiting teaching but we are worried about her.

I'm imagining that this new ward position is keeping her pretty busy. And if it means she is responsible for keeping the ward building clean, she may be having to do it all herself when the assigned people don't come.

Could I be right on this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: February 19, 2018 12:48PM

You probably are right on this.

I got called to be the Relief Society nursery leader. My job was to call women to staff the nurseries for every RS event.

I ended up working in the nursery ALL the time because I loved kids and I hated bugging people to work in the nursery.

Lots of people flat out refused and I didn't blame them.

I was reprimanded for not doing my job.

I'd imagine asking people to clean toilets is even harder to sell than two hours in a nursery.

They started this nonsense just as I was leaving. I know my name was printed on the "program" stating my assignment.

I certainly wasn't there. I'm sorry for whoever had to fill in.

That's got to be the worst church job ever.

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: February 19, 2018 12:48PM

Chief fool and toilet cleaner.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: February 19, 2018 12:50PM

She is the poor sucker who has to arrange for people to clean the building. If they don't show I'm sure she is stuck doing it.

I'm in my 60's and I would be forced to tell them to shove that job up their ass.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: February 19, 2018 12:53PM

The unpaid janitorial staff. "But the blessings are heavenly" /s

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 19, 2018 12:55PM

Ward cleaning coordinator ? I would demand to be called a sanitation engineer !

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 19, 2018 12:59PM

Yes, you got it right. She is responsible for assigning ward families to clean the church on a rotating basis. And she likely feels responsible for filling in when the members don't show up, which is probably often.

She was likely given this calling since she already does it for a living. If the church is now reasonably clean, she won't be relieved of the calling anytime soon.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: February 19, 2018 01:09PM

Since she cleans for a living, just what she wants to do on her days off, clean the church. I'm sure she does a good share of the cleaning.

I used to tell my ex that I didn't understand why they called young mothers to teach primary as by the time Sunday came around, I needed a break from my twins, but there I was trying to teach kids. The 2 hours I could have without kids climbing all over me and saying mama mama mama I spent taking care of someone else's kids.

I'm 60. I've noticed how much my energy level has decreased. I have to take jobs in blocks of time. An hour here, an hour there. I can't imagine having to clean the church.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: February 19, 2018 01:36PM

My old neighbor owned a roofing company. He was expected to donate his time, skills and tools anytime some ward member needed a roof replacement. One day we were standing in front of our houses and he pointed out all the roofs that he had done. 8 on our street alone. Over 30 in the ward. Pretty galling of the church to expect a guy to "donate" thousands of dollars of labor and tools to church members. It must really piss people off to be asked to clean bathrooms for a church that's worth an estimated 100 Billion dollars and spends billions more on malls and condos.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 19, 2018 02:57PM

Anyone who's smart enough to be a home-owner 'should' know that roofs & other periodic maintenance items are part & parcel of enjoying your home;

The roofer Could have said NO.
If he wanted to do it gratis, Good for him!

Date: February 19, 2018 03:00PM

tscc could easily produce a DVD on cleaning materials & methods, require viewing it Before anyone has access to chemicals;

Do They?

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: February 19, 2018 03:29PM

My neighbor was in his 60's. Ex Bishop, ex- stake Prez. Sold his home to be a mission prez in Russia. Pioneer stock- the whole pedigree. He could have/should have said no, but it wasn't in his nature. Church and church members come before all else. He did make a comment that, while everyone in the ward could use a roof at some point, he really didn't benefit from anybody else's help. There's a self employed CPA down the street. Everybody needs taxes done. You think he does them for free for the ward? You're right- he could have said no. But that wasn't a consideration.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 20, 2018 05:49AM

>>I'm 60. I've noticed how much my energy level has decreased.

Same here. Classroom teaching is getting increasingly hard for me. It's just too demanding on every level (physically, mentally, emotionally.) I'm hoping to make some positive changes within the next two years (a switch to ESOL) that will hopefully make my job easier.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: February 20, 2018 10:46PM

Yes young moms in the nursery, they did that to me too.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: February 20, 2018 10:56PM

I hope they will bring paid janitors back like they had it 20 years ago. 20 years ago my first calling after I turned 18 was in the nuresery. The other nursery lady was 24 years old and had a 1 year old baby her hubby was the 2nd counslor in the branch presidency. Well she got paid to clean the church building. She loved it because she could do it when her husband came home from work to watch their kid she had a key to the building and was earning their family some money with it.
My mom is in her sixties and she cleans the ward building alone because the other lady has 6 kids and my mom feels she can't asked her to help her.

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: February 19, 2018 01:24PM

Really, if done right, cleaning of a public building involves some hazardous chemicals and should have a person trained in handling the chemicals and able to train every "volunteer" who is working for them. Mix two of the wrong chemicals and people could be killed.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: February 19, 2018 02:44PM

Yes. Top down irresponsibility means SOMEONE must be RESPONSIBLE. It's usually best to have a scapegoat, or is it 'calling'.

M@t

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: February 19, 2018 03:00PM

This is disgusting! With all the money the wards get from tithing (etc.), are (in my understanding) sent on to the church in general, plus ward members are still stuck with having to do the cleaning.

And, as usual, it is the coordinator who ends up doing the work for people who aren't about to spend their day-off cleaning the building.

IMO, active members need to learn how to 'Just say no'.

(Such nonsense is another reason why I don't go to church.)

Posted by: jkdd259 ( )
Date: February 19, 2018 03:35PM

Way back in the late '60's, early 70's, my dad was the in the Sunday school presidency of our branch.

one of his "duties," was to see that the ward house was cleaned and neat for Sunday service.

Many a Saturday evening was spent cleaning the place. It was truly an old house too! It had no carpets, and my dad would put me to push a dust mop, whilst he wet mopped the colored cement floors. He then would hand rub the cement with a towel on his hands and knees buffing the floor to a shine.

We would start at roughly 6, and finish by midnight. He never complained, or if he did, I didn't know of it. But after 2 years of that, my pop quit going to church.

Soon after, the church "hired," a full time janitor.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: February 19, 2018 07:32PM

My widower brother was his ward's "Ward Cleaning Coordinator." He said he had pretty good luck finding families to clean. He was good at the "soft-sell" technique, whereas, Mormons were tired of the old steam-roller don't-take-no-for-an-answer manipulations.

When he couldn't find someone to clean, he had to do the cleaning, himself. This happened about once a month. He asked to have an "Assistant Ward Cleaning Coordinator" called, and this younger man could never say no, so at least my old brother had some help.

He had the job at age 74-79 years of age, and that was his calling when he died.

Faithful to the end, my brother used to say, "Why can't you retire from church, like you retire from work?"

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: February 19, 2018 07:36PM

There are two widows, ages 77 and 78, who still clean our old ward house. That's just SICK. These ladies never learned to say, "No." They think they owe the church for all the "blessings" they had in their lives. There are other ways to please God, folks!

Date: February 19, 2018 07:41PM

Yikes! Five years of that calling sounds pretty awful. He had to die to get out. At least he had the guts to ask for help. I think the older you get the more responsibility they heap on you. Maybe it's because the youth are getting less and less willing to fear the leaders and bend to their authoritarian demands for obedience. Let's hope.

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: February 19, 2018 11:54PM

And the church wonders why they can't keep new converts?

Now I attend a church that doesn't demand tithing, and doesn't expect janitorial services from their members.

Posted by: thegame2017 ( )
Date: February 20, 2018 07:44AM

In my old ward, we tried several times to get all the members cleaning the chapel on weekly basis, people just didn't show up. We 'called' a PFR, he would not clean the place and insisted he was only there to supervise and not allowed to do any cleaning. This guy is one lazy fucker.

Eventually, BP was so sick of it not being done he started to pay the PFR out of his own pocket to clean it, which this guy of course said yes too now he would get paid, despite his calling not allowing for it. Go figure. He used to be the Janitor in the old days. Times I went up to pick up missionaries or drop things off or whatever on days he was in cleaning, he would be asleep in BP's office or sitting on computer in clerks office playing on MLS.

Posted by: edzachery ( )
Date: February 20, 2018 08:45AM

When I was bishop, there was a ward cleaning coordinator...but to no avail. Inevitably, on Saturday morning or early afternoon, I would get a call from this guy saying that everybody he had assigned to the chore of cleaning the building had bailed out on him. "What are we gonna do, bishop??" I lived 17 miles away from the chapel and would have to go there and work for as long as it took to get it presentable. Wow I wasted some serious time working for free...for a land acquisition company worth many billions of dollars...

Posted by: Honest TBM ( )
Date: February 20, 2018 10:56PM

When my Ward Cleaning Coordinator calls me
Quickly I obey
Cause those holy calling holders know what's best
each and every day

Date: February 21, 2018 12:03PM

"I hope they call me to the toilets, where I can scrub and clean for hours! I hope that I am always ready, to reach and bleach and work until my knees are black and blue."

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: February 21, 2018 03:43PM

Deplorable!

While the so-called "exemplary" leaders of the cult have maids, this sweet hard-working soul, who most likely loves the church with her whole heart, is damaging her back and knees.

"Why do you question?' many indoctrinated members would declare, 'our leaders love, guide and serve the members."

Fuck the MormonCult for the evil they do every second of every day. The adoration from members, their nice homes, cars, clothes, maids, food, and their being able to tell members how far to jump and how often to clean the church toilets is what they care about. They have sooooo much integrity it would fit in a rat's pant pocket.

I often ask how these greedy souls live with themselves while knowing the answer the whole time.......the fact they are NUMERO UNO calling the shots hourly makes every day a holiday in their book.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2018 03:54PM by presleynfactsrock.

Posted by: Not logged in Gatorman ( )
Date: February 21, 2018 04:22PM

Like EdZ when I was in the bishopric I would run a vacuum cleaner or broom seeep the entrance way during SS and at times when PH would break to their individual classes. It would be amazing but suddenly trash cans would get emptied, paper picked up and hymnals put back in racks. Seems many members were like me. They liked getting out of class....

Gatorman

Date: February 21, 2018 04:31PM

WCC: the calling that goes nowhere!

Do a good job? You're likely to keep it FOREVER!!

Do a lousy job? You'll be Blamed for rank-and-file not helping.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 21, 2018 04:53PM

What a pitiful sap to accept a terrible calling.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: February 21, 2018 04:56PM

Very slowly, but always pressing onward, they are invading and diminishing the member's individuality and subduing them to
in fact slavery!

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: February 21, 2018 05:20PM

It was my last calling. The first month was August and in priesthood and in front of the the RS I asked for for volunteers because many would be away on vacation. Result was that we got it all done. BUT bish and his counselors chewed me out: it was a CALLING and I had to simply call on people to do the work. So, in November, I appointed the bishopric, high counselors, EQ presidency, HP leaders, RS leaders, etc. The work got done but I was shortly brought up on charges of apostasy! The rest is in my writing of "Before the Sanhedrin".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2018 07:29PM by rhgc.

Date: February 21, 2018 11:50PM

Wow! Just, WOW! I thought "God was no respecter of persons". Or has that doctrine gone into the trash with so much of the old teachings?

Posted by: perky ( )
Date: February 21, 2018 05:30PM

Yes, back in my TBM days, I was stupid enough to accept this calling. Each ward in the bldg takes turns. In may case it was my turn 4 months of the year.

If I could not get anyone to do it, I had to do it. I got sick and tired of calling people, so lots of times I did it myself. A few times I just forgot and then I would go to church the next day and feel guilty. Jesus, I was a idiot.

Some members liked it and had spiritual experiences. They were probably huffing clorox.

What a cheap ass thing to do to the loyal members. Each ward brings in hundreds of thousands in tithes, and you won't pay a cleaning company a couple of hundred bucks a week to clean the church. Un F-ing believeable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2018 05:35PM by perky.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.