Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jdoubledub ( )
Date: February 23, 2018 11:29AM

Thank you for the help! There was a thread on here a few months ago about the questions you can pose to test if you are in a cult. I can't remember if the article that was published was from a doc/psych/etc. I was talking to a fellow ex mormon and another guy, who happens to be a baptist preacher that does counseling to people that have left, and both of them were very interested in the article and I couldn't find it no matter what searches I did.

I think there were like 20 questions to ask, or something like that. Anybody have the link to the thread or article??

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 23, 2018 11:35AM

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: February 23, 2018 03:21PM

I hope that this will answer your questions

Make up of a Cult
What is a theological cult?
A theological cult is an egalitarian organization based on religion that attempts to completely control the minds and actions of the adherents. Personal judgment is suspended and independent thinking is not allowed. Here are 19 indicators of a cult. If the organization that you belong to or are anticipating joining is described by ½ or more of these indicators perhaps you should rethink your choice.

1. Charismatic Leader
A leader who can spell bind the members. He will be divinely commissioned or specifically chosen by the former guru.
2. Vague and metaphorical goal
A goal that is in the distant future and not clearly defined. Probably expressed as an abstract idea.
3. Sacred doctrine
Such as the bible or the Koran.
Or perhaps a newly revealed doctrine.
However all sources are carefully manipulated to support the doctrine of the cult.
4. Divine coincidence
Members must learn of the cult by “grace” not by reasoning or conscious process.
Many organizations proselytize extensively. They tell the contact that they have been sent, inspired, to their door to give them the true word.
Even if the contact has filled out a form it was still by divine intervention that the prosyliter arrives at the door.
Cults try to avoid the member taking credit for discovering the cult by their own initiative because members should be separated from their sense of self determination in order to be fully indoctrinated.
Join because you feel good about it not because it makes sense.
5. Monetary commitment
Discovery and introduction are almost always FREE but the novice member is told that only by paying dues can he fully enjoy the benefits of membership.
6. Extraordinary measures
Having joined, the new adherent is asked to do something that he or she would not normally do.
7. Member complicity
8. Demeaning self worth
9. Confusion and transference.
10. Behavior directed by an “other”
All behavior is externally directed. What the member may eat, drink, wear, watch and listen to is directed by mandate of someone other than the member them self.
11. Inclusion by obsession with acceptance.
12. Never express doubt to subordinates
No matter what doubts you may have it is a cardinal sin to express these doubts to someone lower on the power ladder than you. To do so would maybe give them motivation to investigate, independently, the issue at hand. The subordinate must always view you as a granite rock when dealing with any ecclesiastical issue.
13. Never express doubt to superiors
Even if your doubts are well founded never express them to a superior. If you do either they will deny or report. Deny your doubt or report you to the next higher up in the food chain.
14. The cult supersedes all other commitments
This indicator is one of the most potent in the cult arsenal. If the higher ups want you to subordinate other commitments to the desires of the cult this indicates an imminent take over of your control over your own mind. One of the classic approaches to this is The cult represents God—therefore when someone in power speaks it is as if God himself were speaking. So refusing to do what is asked is refusing God's request.
15. Never refuse a request
16. Never ask for something that specifically benefits you.
17. Never take action because the cult leader said to.
18. Respond automatically to the cult leader’s wishes
19. Accept the leaders as the perfect centers of the universe.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: February 23, 2018 05:44PM

I need to write this list down or something.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.