Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: E.E.3 ( )
Date: February 23, 2018 06:59PM

My job, my ward, my family, my pathetic/boring life, Utah....I'm just NOT going anywhere. I know I need to do something about it, take risks, but I'm too unsure of myself and withdrawn (mostly thanks to Mormonism and my strict upbringing).

But I'm 24 and I'm starting to realize that I've wasted my entire late teens and early twenties doing NOTHING.

I feel like the only way I'm going to finally find myself is if I move out of Utah and reset my whole lifestyle. My creativity and true self is being stifled.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: February 23, 2018 07:05PM

What are your options for moving somewhere else?

Date: February 23, 2018 07:12PM

Hi Devoted Exmo,

I have nevermo family in Texas that invited me to move in with them. My dream is to move to California, but I need a more financially stable job for that.

Date: February 23, 2018 07:13PM

I gave their offer a lot of thought, but I'm so nervous to do it.

Posted by: cynful ( )
Date: February 23, 2018 08:36PM

E.E.3 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I gave their offer a lot of thought, but I'm so
> nervous to do it.

Hi E.E.3... welcome! :-)

Where in Texas do your friends live? Have you ever visited
the state before?

If you are still considering moving a possibility and/or have
some questions about anything Texan, I am a native Houstonian
and would be delighted to share as much as I possibly can.:-)

Date: February 24, 2018 12:51AM

They actually live in Houston! I’ve visited the state a few times before: Dallas, San Antonio, and Houston.

Date: February 24, 2018 01:01AM

Do you like Houston? Is the job outlook pretty good?
Thanks.

Posted by: paisley70 ( )
Date: February 23, 2018 08:55PM

The initial stages of making the decision to leave the church are rife with anxiety, stress, and dismay. Many people can finally take the leap into a new life outside of Mormonism after they initiate a plan that allows them to feel safe. It is very interesting how we gravitate towards this new life once a plan of safety and security is in place.

Moving to Texas may be a very safe move on your part. We all need to be in an environment of people that we know, like, and trust. This will mitigate the severity of emotional swings that you will experience as you exit the church.

Plan a safe course of action and let the consequence follow. You will find peace as you step toward the liberation found in life outside of Mormonism. Texas may be a stepping stone toward your other future ambitions. There are so many variables to ultimately find the life that you want to lead and only you are qualified to make these decisions for yourself. I wish you the best on your journey!

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: February 23, 2018 09:18PM

Good advice.

Date: February 24, 2018 12:54AM

Thank you for your great thoughts.

You’re very right about the anxiety. I’ve been in a constant state of depression and worry since high school and my faith crisis back in 2014 made things even worse.

I like the idea of moving because I can transition out of the Church without dealing with the backlash from family and friends. If I’m out on my own, they won’t know if I’m going to church or not (hopefully).

Posted by: paisley70 ( )
Date: February 24, 2018 01:55AM

You have no obligation to take a course of action as soon as you have the opportunity. Patience will pay great dividends, so make your move when it is safest to do so. You do not have to justify your actions to anyone, so be patient and plan ahead. Timing is everything in these matters.

People on forums will casually throw about ideas that may not be to your benefit. Make your move when the timing is right. You've been in a conundrum for many years now. What's another six months or a year to put together the right plan for you? Remember to consult a friend that you trust for the ultimate decision. All will be well, I promise!

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: February 23, 2018 08:22PM

I agree implicitly!!!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 24, 2018 12:15AM

You are 24. Go to Texas for a year and see how you like it. Worst case scenario, you hate it and you move back. My bet is that you will like it, or at a minimum, find it instructive to be in a place where Mormonism is pretty much irrelevant.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.