Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Healed ( )
Date: February 23, 2018 10:50PM

Similar to expediting church resignations, is there a legal person that has assisted individuals, mainly women, in getting a temple sealing cancellation, in the absence of church resignation?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: February 23, 2018 10:58PM

Church resignation is a legal matter. The church was forced by the courts to allow people to resign. Prior to that the church refused to acknowledge a person's wishes to no longer be a member.

Sealings are an internal matter. As long as you are a church member you are subject to their policy.

The church often takes a "it will all be worked out in the millennium" stance.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 23, 2018 11:29PM

Clarification:
"Prior to that the church refused to acknowledge a person's wishes to no longer be a member."

Prior to the court decision that determined that church members have the right to resign their membership, LDS Inc (and a number of other churches) required that you request excommunication to terminate your membership. I never heard of LDS Inc denying a request for excommunication, so in that sense they did acknowledge a person's wish to no longer be a member.

The suit against that process was filed (and won) because excommunication carries the implication that you must have done something yucky to get excommunicated, when in fact you simply wanted to resign your membership.

The courts agreed, and you no longer had to ask the church to fire you. You could fire them. They could still fire you if they so chose, but not if you fired them first. :)

Posted by: nli ( )
Date: February 24, 2018 10:39AM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Clarification:

> The suit against that process was filed (and won)....
>
> The courts agreed, and ....

Minor clarification of clarification:

The suit was filed, but not tried. It was settled with the church accepting simple resignation.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: February 24, 2018 09:19AM

Yep...exactly what my Bishop told me when I asked about getting a temple sealing cancelled.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 23, 2018 11:37PM

LDS Inc is very reluctant to cancel a sealing, especially for a woman, unless she is about to be sealed to some other "worthy male" (translation: fully paid up male church member)

You can't go to court to force LDS Inc to cancel the sealing, because the courts don't recognize the sealing in the first place. Similarly, the courts don't get involved with temple recommends, so if your bishop denies you one, your only recourse is the SP, and good luck with that.

An LDS sealing is like them giving you a pink unicorn to go with your normal legal marriage. Asking them to cancel the sealing is basically telling them they have to take their unicorn back. Problem is, as far as the courts are concerned, there is no unicorn, so the courts are staying the hell out of it.

BTW, they are absolutely correct. There is no unicorn. Of any color.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 24, 2018 12:07AM

Posted by: allegro ( )
Date: February 24, 2018 10:04AM

I received my cancellation. It was important to me for closure. After many years being told I could not,the Bishop began the process and from the first moment I walked in, to the letter in the mail took 4 months. But my ex had been married in the temple 3x after me.
A friend of a friend had been divorced for a year and was denied. This was in DC where there is a lawyer on every corner. She went to a lawyer friend, had a letter drawn up threatening to sue and drag the church into court, and sent to SLC. Within 4 weeks she had the cancellation.
The church does not fear God, they fear lawyers.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: February 24, 2018 10:47AM

The church has plenty of their own lawyers. They don't necessarily fear lawyers. But they're terrified of public filings, and the negative publicity that is likely to go with it.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: February 24, 2018 03:23PM

I figured that when I resigned, all the ordinances were voided. That included, I thought until today, the whole sealing thing. Anyone else think the same?

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: February 24, 2018 05:05PM

But, we were never sealed to anybody anyway. We bought blue sky, that’s all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2018 05:05PM by kathleen.

Posted by: relievedtolearn ( )
Date: February 25, 2018 11:12PM

How we think can be wierd. DH is sealed to his first wife. He told me he could be sealed to me as well (if I wanted--not gonna happen). But she couldn't without a temple annulment. She told him if he remarried she wanted him to request a temple annulment, and he told her no. You know, in the afterlife this stuff will be sorted out.

What I think is wierd is, I believe mormonism is a cult, is bologna, is not true. Yet sometimes I think, Yeah, if it were true, then I could be the second wife in eternity? I don't think so!!!!!

So even if I believed, which I don't----but I think, not gonna be wife # 2, thank you very much. Oh my goodness, the thinks we can think!!!!

So instead I get to be the time-only fling. ha.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 26, 2018 09:50AM

Heh...as if their "sealing" actually meant something.

It doesn't, you know. It's all made-up nonsense.

After my TBM mom and inactive dad divorced, mom found herself a TBM convert to re-marry to. But she wanted to be temple-sealed to him, not just married so they could shag. So after going through a bishop, an SP, and 2 GAs, she was told she couldn't get a "temple annulment" unless inactive dad was excommunicated, then it would be "automatic." Even though dad -- though inactive -- hadn't done anything to be excommunicated for.

So she asked him -- in front of us kids. I think she figured we'd all back her up, saying how wonderful it would be to be temple-sealed to a real TBM guy for mom and for us kids.

Dad said he didn't care, since none of it actually meant anything anyway, go ahead and have him excommunicated for "apostasy." Both of them asked us kids what we thought...

TBM older brother said he was sad about losing sealing to dad, but it was important to have the family sealed together for eternity, so he was all for it.

Younger sister (only 15, not really old enough to know what she believed) basically said whatever.

Me...I said what mom did was her choice, not mine. And I was with dad in that I didn't think it actually meant anything. Then I added that there was no way I would be "sealed" to new-TBM-hubby, even though I didn't think it had anything to do with "eternity," because I thought he was kind of a jerk, and I already have a dad.

As usual, dad and I were the odd ones out...:)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.