Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Not Codependent Anymore ( )
Date: February 24, 2018 09:40AM

Short story.

I was just a kid. On my way to continue my schooling in another public school. Did not know anyone at the new school.

We (mom and I) went to this super-market store and I bought clothes that I wanted and it was no big deal what I wanted to wear and I was very happy. I bought some clothes with funny patterns, crazy colours and cool figures printed on. Had no idea about trends back then I looked at the world with the amazed eyes of a kid.

Next day I ended up being laughed at school and I did not understand anything. Even some of the parents were amused.

Had never experienced anything like that before so I had no concept understanding it.

When I was on my way home a classmate ran after me. He wore a t-shirt with a boxing Mickey Mouse on the chest and told me that his brother had a Thai-boxing club in Thailand and he started viciously to kick me and I still did not understand anything except being very scared. I succeded to run away home.

After that day the world never looked the same and I was bullied for years and ended up fighting and cussing like everyone else.

I never bought clothes I wanted after that.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: February 24, 2018 09:51AM

I can relate. I moved when I was in second grade and suddenly I went from having friends and feeling normal to being bullied and made to feel weird. Like you, it was new and I had no way to understand the how and why of it. I was bullied all the way through the early part of high school. By the last few years of high school I basically shut myself off from all school social interaction. My experience affected my well into my late 20s and early 30s.

You are not alone.

Date: February 24, 2018 10:02AM

Do you feel that you became a person that were more dependent on others opinion after that? Personally I discarded most of my hobbies after that and choosed to follow the references of the group.

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: February 24, 2018 11:02AM

Not really. I more shut myself off from everyone. I did what I wanted, but did not socialize. I was probably the type of guy who everyone thought would buy a small shack in Montana, grow a beard, live as a hermit and write manifestos. I did not end up as that guy. I think I am a relatively normal person, outgoing, with a great family, and a career I love. But it took a conscious choice and several years to overcome the awkwardness that was a result of being teased and bullied.

Date: February 24, 2018 04:24PM

You made it out much stronger. I became a people pleaser. For two reasons:

1) I wanted no one to object against me, ever.

2) I was so angry inside and feared myself losing control. I could not accept all these negative feelings.

So my compromise was to start pleasing people. From teachers to workplace-bullies. I could not stop and people had a god time driving me around. People even stole money from and I did not object.

Things are better now and I am seeing change.

Posted by: paisley70 ( )
Date: February 24, 2018 02:15PM

I was bullied as well for a few years. It was after moving to the other side of the city and changing schools in second grade. I really detest bullies. Like this one:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/us-news/knocked-unconscious-kick-face-teens-12026545

Date: February 25, 2018 03:24AM

Seen it time from time. When I got older it sometimes felt great to see someone else take the blame. Pheeww* The concept of innocence receded through the years. Bullying destroys empathy.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 24, 2018 05:27PM

Perhaps mormonism was good for something back in the 50's and 60's...

From 4th grade through high school I was part of a supportive mormon cohort and thus shielded from being singled out by any would-be bullies.

Or maybe we were the bullies?

Date: February 25, 2018 03:16AM

The masks we are wearing sometimes in life always hides our ability to see but luckily we do not stop doubting and asking questions behind it.

Posted by: sigh... ( )
Date: February 24, 2018 05:37PM

the world is a rotten place...

Date: February 25, 2018 03:01AM

The worst thing is that a kid needs to participate in it to be able to move further on into adult life.

Today I have concepts and understanding. Back then I only had my feelings. Most of the time it felt like it was a lose-lose game. If I participated in it I would die as a person time after time but if I did not participate I would die sooner or later.

I became very bad at coping with this dilemma so I became a people-pleaser that only lived my life through masks and through pleasing others.

Posted by: sigh... ( )
Date: February 25, 2018 07:06PM

sounds like me a kid...

The world is still a rotten place....

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 24, 2018 05:50PM

This is a very sad thread.

Fortunately, the schools that my children attend/ed take bullying much more seriously now than when we were young. It still happens, but less frequently and there are places kids can go for help.

There is obviously a connection between these stories and the stuff that is in the news. Probabilities change.

Date: February 25, 2018 03:09AM

It always baffles me how oblivious communities are to the social dynamics inside society. It is like everything bad is happening like a bolt out of the blue. I guess it is a coping strategy that follows with the "impervious" self-image that people are socialized into wearing.

Society just not accept that their own society is producing victims so they scapegoat away everything that makes them feel uneasy.

Date: March 01, 2018 04:37AM

A kids world can be a Live And Let live-World. That is what I missed as a grown up and I always saw it! That the wonderful world was still there behind every lie and rigid social convention.

The norms and rules always kept on shifting and changing but there never seemed to be established a virtue that allowed many of us to see this and go back living in a Live And Let Live-world.

Many of us only denied it because of our orientation for external validation that we never would get keep on chasing mirages.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: March 01, 2018 10:40AM

I was made fun of a lot back in the 90's, still remember that sh#t. Clothes being one of them. I was a poor kid so i wore the same clothes many times in a week. Got made fun of badly, by mormon kids mind you. Mormons were the most brutal in my town growing up by far. Long story short it changed me as well into a hateful motherf#cker that wanted everyone to suffer, especially god for watching everything happen and not doing a d@mn thing.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 01, 2018 11:16AM

Kids can be rough on each other.

Often the only way to not get made fun of is to dress like the "popular" kids do. Look like everyone else. Act like everyone else. Fit in.

How boring and ridiculous.

Kids maybe haven't learned yet that it's OK to be different. And that the people who are different are often the ones who bring us great discoveries, great art, and great new ideas.

But when adults continue to do it (such as mormons and their culture so heavily punishing/shunning anyone different), there's no excuse whatsoever.

Posted by: paisley70 ( )
Date: March 01, 2018 03:36PM

Remember those ridiculous Reebok pump shoes? All of the popular kids used to wear those. I was wearing Airwalk lace saver shoes so I could skateboard without chewing up my laces. I saved my money from delivering papers to buy the Airwalks.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=airwalk+lace+savers&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwji46_y-svZAhVS0mMKHaVaAiQQ_AUICigB&biw=1094&bih=511#imgrc=_

Kids can be really mean to other children for being a little different. Despite being teased, there was no way that I would ever dress like those knuckleheads. Yeah, it would stop the teasing or bullying but the steep price of losing my individuality would have been too much. So we built a half-pipe in my yard and I became friends with kids a few years older than me. Problem solved.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: March 01, 2018 03:41PM

I remember those air pump shoes god d@mn does this mean i am an old man now. I think i wore converse like in that hoosiers movie. Loved that movie.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: March 01, 2018 04:14PM

I'm sorry you were bullied. It is always horrible.

Bullies aren't always strangers, though, lurking in the outside world, waiting to jump on you out of nowhere.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the WORST bullying of my life, and my children's lives, came from Mormons.

My oversized older brother (6 years older) was the neighborhood bully. My parents had no control over him, were in denial, and didn't rescue me from his continual assaults. He hurt me physically, tortured me, broke my toys, scared away my friends, made every family holiday and vacation a living Hell. My brother was king of the household, and I was a puny little "nothing."

So, I escaped into the world! Our California neighborhood was not Mormon, and I got to know my friends' families--normal, happy Christian, Jewish, or whatever families. Religion and race made no difference. Kindness and love was to be found in those households.

School was my refuge. I would stay late for after-school sports, science club, studying, music, cheerleading practice--any excuse I would find. I would go home by way of the library, and stay until just before dark. I liked my teachers, who treated me like a human being. I was in advanced classes. I accompanied the school choir, and sang in smaller groups, around the community and hospitals, etc. I was a candy-striper.

My children were bullied by the Mormon leaders in the ward--I've told their stories before--serious physical battering! Those fathers beat their own children, also. Utah seemed like a crazy place, to me, and the bishop's daughter brought a loaded gun to school, and was suspended for only a week, because her father was wealthy and powerful in the community. In Utah, abusers go unpunished, and they just lie about everything, and they threaten the witnesses to lie, too.

I was bullied at BYU, but still had more friends than enemies, and I did have some "power" in student government, and being friends with some big, strong football players, who actually saved me from being raped, when I was at the dorm mailboxes. My Mormon returned mission (LMRM) roommate stole money, my graduation watch, and clothes from me. We had to have assigned roommates, our first semester. She gossiped and bullied other girls on our floor, and I spoke up in their defense, which those older TMB self-righteous girls did not like.

Later, after my parents died, I was the victim of Mormon affinity fraud, as my Mormon bishopric nephew stole money from my parent's estate, and from a family business.

Luckily, there are a lot of people in the world outside of Mormonism who will be your friends and accept you, even if you are "different." My children got through it, too, as their non-Mormon peers, family, and teachers liked and respected them. My kids didn't rebel or act out, like the Mormon kids did. They were confident, and loving, and had nothing to prove. It was "live and let-live", and they were busy with sports, after-school and weekend jobs, and just plain fun. Our house was always full of kid friends, coming and going.

It is a sad commentary, indeed, but bullying experiences can help you turn things around, and help you to cope with the tough, rat-race career world. (Don't get me wrong--there are healthier ways to learn this!) I'm grateful that I'm tough enough to have a good career, and could support my little children, when they needed me, when their TBM father abandoned us.

My brother's bullying left me with PTSD, however, and that has been like a black cloud over my life, all my life, and always will be, but because of therapy, I can manage it.

I wonder if you might have PTSD, to some extent--especially if you were raised in the Mormon cult. It's worth finding out! A good therapist can help you a great deal.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: March 01, 2018 05:17PM

Two of my sons were bullied in school, because they were 'different", that is, among the smartest in the school.

One gang decided to make my eldest son's life miserable. If he fought back, the principle would tell them all to 'knock it off', instead of having the courage to say that to the offenders' only.

So, he took matters into his own hands, and put one of the offenders upside down into a trash can. And, he told this offender that if any of his gang came after him, or all of them did, he would hold this leader responsible, and come after him.
Happily, his threat worked.

The other son followed a different, shorter, route to reach the correct answer to math problems. For doing this he was bawled out by the teacher for taking the quicker (instead of the 'regular') route. (The teacher appeared to be only versed in the route she had in mind as being correct.)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.